RE: How could evolution result in IC systems?

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@megatribe.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 12:42:02 EDT

    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/evolve_irreducible.html

    Scenario #1: reduction of function
    Scenario #2: loss of scaffolding
    Scenario #3: duplication

    Nelson:
    Lets examine these three scenarios. The example he gives for scenario #1 is
    The Bolas Spider. This site is much better in that it gives a just so story,
    BUT then it backs it up with an example.

    "This system is Irreducibly Complex. Without the glue, the moth wouldn't get
    trapped. Without the web, moths that fly by (as opposed to landing by the
    spider) wouldn't get caught. Without the pheromone, there wouldn't be enough
    moths in the area. The web swinging behavior is reducible, though. There is
    a cave-dwelling fly larva which attracts prey with a light, instead of a
    smell. It has a single-strand web, but doesn't swing it."

    Is it irreducibly complex? Lets apply the definition.

    What is the function of the system?

    "The bolas spider mastophora uses an unusual prey-capture system."

    Ahh I see it catches moths so that the spider can eat. What are the parts to
    the system?

    "It spins only a single short strand of web, at the end of which is a drop
    of glue. Then it swings this strand around in circle underneath it. At the
    same time, it releases a scent - a pheromone - that attracts male Noctuid
    moths. A moth flies into the area, hits the glue, and sticks."

    I see so there are three parts to this system, web, glue, and pheromone.

    If I remove pheromone, will this prey-capture system still work? Yes I can
    remove the bait and it will still trap the occasional moth that stumbles
    onto the trap.

    So I have reduced this three part system to two. Perhaps it is a two part IC
    system? Nope, the parts are not well-matched.If the length of the silk
    strand is reduced , you don't need to change the glue to accomade it, and if
    you double the size of the silk strand you don't need to change the glue.
    And of course the author forgot the fact that the spider needs to reel in
    it's catch. Now we have an intelligent agent as an essential part of the
    system! The spider knows, has foresight, and makes choices to direct the
    events of this prey-capture system.

    Gene duplication and scaffolding has never been observed to produce any kind
    of system. It relies on pure chance and assumes plasticity among the parts
    of IC system. Gene duplication produces gene silencing.