Re: Blood clotting and IC'ness?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 00:57:37 EDT

    In a message dated 9/15/2000 9:39:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    nalonso@megatribe.com writes:

    << Sure. But in the case of IC that's what you have to show. We all agree that
    design can sometimes be infered quite reliably. IC does not eliminate
    natural
    processes as a cause, it claims that it does but it has not shown this. It
    does not even show that ID is a plausible and useful alternative.
    You seem to overestimate the power of ID and IC. Perhaps that's caused by
    the
    unsupported claims like the ones you make above?

    Nelson:
    Can you show how what I say above is not supported? You have to first
    support your claim that IC systems can evolve. You cannot evolve something
    that is totally ineffective below the sum of it's parts. >>

    FMA:
    You are trying to switch the burden of proof again.

    Nelson:
    No, the burden was to produce a system that cannot arise via chance and
    natural selection. >>

    Not the burden of proof is to show that an IC system cannot arrise through
    chance and natural selection. And even if it could, this would not prove
    design merely disprove Darwinian evolution as a mechanism here.

     There can be no functional precursor if you cannot reduce

    << an irreducible system since the you cannot show an effective precursor. Now
    if you want to say "it could have evolved" you have to give me a pathway to
    work with. I have proposed my pathway, namely intelligent design.

    That's not a pathway. It's a place holder for ignorance. I have shown how an
    IC system could arise naturally (Robison). Others include

    Terry Gray

    "A key first step is a gene duplication event that allows the preservation of
    the original functional protein, but provides a second copy of the gene that
    can be altered by mutation, providing a source of new material on which
    selection can operate. There are multiple versions of globin genes that differ
    by only a few amino acids in insects and molluscs of the organisms mentioned
    above. In humans alpha and beta hemoglobin exist in gene clusters
    containing multiple copies of each type gene. In the alpha cluster there are
    two identical copies of the alpha gene, two copies of the alpha-like zeta
    globin (found in fetal hemoglobin), and one alpha-like pseudogene, that
    appears not to be expressed. In the beta cluster there five different
    beta-like
    genes and one beta-like pseudogene. It appears from various lines of argument
    that these have arisen by gene duplication followed by mutations.
    Some of the mutated copies appear to be functionless, whereas some of them
    appear to have new functions, i.e. in fetal hemoglobin with altered
    oxygen binding. These gene duplications are pre-adaptations, i.e. changes
    that occur for other reasons, but once they have occurred they provide
    the necessary conditions for some selectable function.

    Sea lamprey globin evidences what might be the next intermediate stage. Sea
    lampreys have a separate myoglobin for oxygen storage and a
    hemoglobin-like molecule for oxygen transport. Lamprey hemoglobin is dimeric
    rather than tetrameric. It does display cooperative oxygen binding,
    though. Lamprey deoxyglobin forms dimers which dissociate upon oxygen
    binding. The dimer contacts are in exactly the region of the molecule
    where one alpha-beta dimer interacts with the other alpha-beta dimer. This is
    the region that modulates the 15¡ rotation and the cog-slipping effect
    that was described above. Murray Goodman and co-workers cite evidence from
    their sequence comparisons that suggest that mutations
    accumulated in this region of the molecule at four times the rate for the
    molecule as a whole during the evolution of this new function. Clearly,
    cooperativity of oxygen binding is a consequence of dimerization. But dimer
    formation is the result of greasy patches on the surface of the protein,
    which could well have arisen by a few amino acid substitutions (or even one
    as is the case in deoxyhemoglobin S fibers in sickle-cell anemia). Dimer
    formation would have been a Darwinian pre-adaptation to the evolution of
    cooperative oxygen binding.

    The next step in hemoglobin evolution is the result of a gene duplication of
    the ancestral hemoglobin-like gene into the modern alpha and beta globin
    genes. Again, the original oxygen transporting function could be preserved,
    while mutations acted upon the second copy of the gene. The very
    similar but slightly different version of the globin allowed for the
    formation of the alpha beta dimer which upon interaction with another
    alpha-beta
    dimer allowed the preservation of the tetramer structure even upon
    oxygenation. Again Goodman's group believe that their sequence comparison
    data suggests that the alpha-beta dimer interface accumulated mutations at
    nearly twice the rate for the whole molecule during the evolution of this
    new function. Again, the gene duplication event and the alpha-beta dimer
    formation are pre-adaptations to the formation of the complex tetramer.

    In the 450 million years since the origin of the hemoglobin tetramer there
    has been ample time to finely tune the primitive transport function. And
    there does appear to be additional evolution, especially related to the rise
    of warm-blooded creatures and, as I already mentioned in my discussion
    of the gene structure of the human alpha and beta gene clusters, the rise of
    placental mammals and special adaptations utilized in oxygen transport
    there.

    Hemoglobin is a marvelous molecular machine. When we look at it in all its
    complex features, many of which we haven't even discussed today, we
    might imagine that it's like a mousetrap: you take one part away and it
    doesn't work any more. That may, in fact, be true with the modern finely
    tuned version. But I have shown a plausible evolutionary scenario based on
    the structural, mechanistic, genetic, and sequence data concerning
    globins from all parts of the animal kingdom. "

    Lindsay

    "The above exchange happened in 1997. As of 1999, Behe has simply avoided the
    goalposts. I do not know of a public acknowledgement that
    some of his examples, such as clotting have been convincingly explained.
    Instead, in September 1999 he said "The point in dispute is whether natural
    selection can produce major innovations." But surely his book holds up the
    immune system as a major innovation, and as of 1998 it was no longer
    disputable that evolution could have caused that. "

    "Rebuttal of Example: Cilia and Flagella

    Although Behe describes these on pages 59-72, it isn't clear exactly what the
    irreducible systems are, and why they can't be reduced.

    Suppose we took flagellin, which in E. coli K-12 is a chain of 497 amino
    acids. What if we chop out a third of those? If the "system" is irreducible
    then removing these parts should make it stop functioning. But that has been
    done, and the flagellum still worked fine [1]. So is this reduced system
    Irreducible? Apparently we don't have a good way to know, since the method
    applied to the original system gave a wrong answer.

    Flagellin is also used for "active transport" inside cells, but a cutdown
    version with 183 aminos will do that [2]. This implies that there was some
    earlier molecule that was only used for transportation. Evolution replaced
    that molecule with flagellin, and flagellin was then co-opted into its
    flagella
    role because it was lying around.

    So, there is evidence suggesting evolutionary scenarios leading to a
    flagella. Behe tries to ridicule these on page 66, but the best he can do is
    demand detail. As Behe points out on page 62, microtubules are involved in
    transport, and in simpler ways than their use in flagella. Just from his
    description, one would guess that transport came first, and in fact we're
    quite sure that flagella were not present in the original ancestral cell.
    Since
    this is an area of ongoing research, there is every reason to believe that
    further evidence will be found that suggest or constrain the sequence of
    events. Here is one guess, based on current knowledge:

         Let us imagine a bundle of tubulins serving a structural function at the
    cell membrane, sticking out and causing a projection (but a static
         one) from the cell surface. Let's call such a projection a microvillus
    (to choose a name at random :-)). One of the consequences of
         these microvilli would be an increase in the surface to volume ratio of
    the cell. Surely, even Behe might be able to come up with a
         reasonable selective environment where such microvilli might be favored,
    even if they could not move at all. Now one, as Behe points
         out, might envision motor molecules involved in transport along the axis
    of these fiber bundles (for precisely the reasons one might
         expect microvilli to form in the first place). Linking some of the
    bundles might allow some minor movement of the microvilli at levels
         that would be insufficient to cause cell motility. But movement, by
    creating microcurrents, might have uses without being sufficient to
         move the organism. Under conditions that select for more vigorous
    movement, you might well get the emergent property of motility.

         I have previously given a highly speculative, but similar, possible
    pathway to produce flagella via non-motile, but still functional
         intermediates.

         Can I prove these scenarios? Nope. Are they totally out of line? Well,
    if you look for evidence of these intermediate states, you need
         to ask whether tubulins are involved in maintaining cell structure in
    microvilli, whether pilins have utility, whether there are protein
         transport pores, etc in current organisms. This, of course, is not
    direct evidence. It is evidence like that that Darwin presented for the
         eye. It is evocative, possible, and is congruent with natural law
    mechanisms. But it is the only type of evidence that anyone has in these
         cases.

         Posted 1 Sep 1997 on Usenet's talk.origins by Howard Hershey

    It is also difficult to accept that a flagella represents Intelligent Design,
    when it is so different from a cilia or an undulopodia. And why do archae and
    bacteria use a very different flagellin? What kind of intelligent designer
    doesn't re-use designs, or even components?

                                             Rebuttal of Example: Clotting

    In my ignorance section, I pointed out some problems with Behe's attack on
    the article by Russell Doolittle. Doolittle has written his own response
    which points out that there are animals with simpler molecules, as you'd
    expect if the molecular evolution happened in one line of descent but not in
    another. Doolittle ends by showing that lab animals can get along fine
    without parts of this "irreducible" system.

    George Acton wrote a slightly more technical response and says that it's
    "like reading a discussion of the Shroud of Turin that totally omits any
    mention of the radiocarbon dating studies."

                                         Rebuttal of Example: Immune System

    Behe spends Chapter 6 on the immune system, and on page 137 he talks about
    scientists who have "gamely" tried to explain the system. The
    scientific efforts have paid off. There is now a detailed theory as to how
    the system could have been started. And, there is now experimental
    evidence that the theory is correct. Work continues, demonstrating that the
    theory of evolution is fertile, and not (as Behe put it) "sterile".

                                        Rebuttal of Example: Bombardier Beetle

    There is a good analysis of the bombardier beetle at the talk.origins
    archive.

    The main problem with Behe's analysis is that he doesn't seem to know what
    data to look for. Any evolutionist would have immediately proposed a
    whole list of things to be investigated. Do we have a tree of descent of
    related species? Which of them secrete what chemicals? Which ones have
    specialized bladders? - and so on. All of these would be useful as raw
    material for constructing hypotheses and for ruling hypotheses out. But Behe
    just cries out for more detail of the final answer. It's as if he doesn't
    know how to attack these problems.
    "

    Niall Shanks

    "Biological systems exhibit complexity at all levels of organization. It has
    recently been argued by Michael Behe that at the biochemical
         level a type of complexity exists -- irreducible complexity -- that
    cannot possibly have arisen as the result of natural, evolutionary
         processes, and must instead be the product of (supernatural) intelligent
    design. Recent work on self-organizing chemical reactions
         calls into question Behe's analysis of the origins of biochemical
    complexity. His central interpretative metaphor for biochemical
         complexity, that of the well-designed mousetrap that ceases to function
    if critical parts are absent, is undermined by the observation
         that typical biochemical systems exhibit considerable redundancy and
    overlap of function. Real biochemical systems, we argue,
         manifest redundant complexity - a characteristic result of evolutionary
    processes. (.We would like to thank George Gale for helpful
         comments, as well as the anonymous referees for Philosophy of Science.)"

    "Redundant complexity is embodied in the discovery that biochemical processes
    frequently do not involve simple, linear sequences of
         reactions, with function destroyed by the absence of a given component
    in the sequence. Instead, they are the product of a large
         number of overlapping, slightly different and redundant processes. This
    feature of these processes turns out to lie at the heart of the
         stability that these processes manifest in the face of perturbations
    that ought to catastrophically disrupt systems conceptualized from the
         standpoint of Behe's central interpretative metaphor of the
    well-designed, minimalist mousetrap -- the absence of any component of
         which should render the system functionless. "

    Redundancy

    "It is a hallmark characteristic of evolved biochemical systems that there
    are typically multiple causal routes to a given functional end,
         and where one route fails, another can take over. The existence of
    multiple isoforms of a given enzyme are evolutionary legacies --
         legacies by means of which one and the same enzyme can be co-opted to
    serve specialized functions in specialized tissues."

    He concludes

    "In the end, Behe overestimates the significance of irreducible complexity
    because his simple, linear view of biochemical reactions
         results in his taking snapshots of selective features of biological
    systems, structures and processes, while ignoring the redundant
         complexity of the context in which those features are naturally
    embedded. Real biological systems are quite unlike economically
         designed engineering artifacts such as mousetraps. His case against
    evolution is a good example, in fact, of the perils of being "trapped"
         by a metaphor."