Re: ID vs. ?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 00:43:46 EDT

    In a message dated 9/15/2000 9:32:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    nalonso@megatribe.com writes:

    << FMA:
    Remarkable, could you please explain why the inner ear is not irreducible
    complex?

    Nelson:
    Lets apply the definition. The function is that it sends vibrations from the
    ear drum to the oval window. I can remove, one bone and it will still do
    this, I can remove two and it will still do this, heck, I can remove the
    whole thing and I could still hear sound when pressure impacts the oval
    window. >>

    FMA:
    Remarkable, I am amazed at your comments here.

    Nelson:
    Thank you.

    FMA:
    And yet this was used to argue
    against evolution until evolution found the explanation.

    Nelson:
    No, creationists, not IDists, use this to argue that there can be no
    incipient stages between the reptile and human hearing. Nothing at all to do
    with ID. The issue is transitional stages.

    FMA:
    You remove one of
    the bones and hearing in that ear becomes severely impaired. Sure you can
    hear with the other ear. Nelson disagrees with you

    "Because design can explain primary discontinuities, the theory gives an
    account of phenomena inexplicable on naturalistic scenarios. These
    phenomena include the necessary minimal complexity of cells, incongruence
    between developmental pathways and morphological homologies in
    different taxa, the functional complexity of organismal systems (e.g., the
    inner ear), the hierarchical structure of development, genetic pleiotropy,
    and
    architectural aspects of three-dimensional form and function. I discuss
    these
    patterns, and present some ideas for the testing of design claims via
    well-established experimental methods. "

    http://www.origins.org/mc/menus/abstracts.html

    Nelson:
    Thank you for sharing with me Nelson's views, however, despite similiartiy
    of our names, I am not Paul Nelson and Paul Nelson is not me. So your
    efforts here are completely redundant.

    Your comments are a total non sequitor. Why are you assuming that I presumed
    you be the same Nelson? I am showing that ID'ers disagree with your notion.

    <<
    One thing that should tip you off is that reptiles get by with just a

    << one-bone system.

    FMA:
    So there is a gap between the bone and the membrane? You do realize that if
    you remove one of the three bones in humans that hearing stops ?

    Nelson:
    No I would still be able to hear when pressure waves impact the oval window.
    There is still function even when I remove the entire middle ear.

    FMA:
    If you accept the one bone system then you have to admit that IC systems are
    not evidence of anything.

    Nelson:
    Since the three-bone system is not IC , I am sorry to inform you that your
    argument missed it's target and fell by the way side.

    Your assertion that the 3 boned system is not IC is shown to be unfounded.
    Please show that removing one bone results in a working system. Or take away
    the eardrum for instance. If IC systems can be shown in nature, as is quite
    obvious, then ICness is not reliable evidence of design.

    << << FMA:
    Also why is the phenotypical level not relevant? Is IC somehow
    limited to systems for which supporting evidence is likely not to exist? I
    guess this means that the mouse trap example by Behe was irrelevant as well?

    Nelson:
    The mouse trap is an analogy and an example of an irreducibly complex
    system. I never said it was not irreducibly complex. But as far as Darwinian
    selection and biological origins goes, it is irrelevant and only an example.
    The mammalian ear had the help of a developmental program.Molecular machines
    do not, they are what evolution uses.

    FMA:
    So it's ok to show that IC systems can arise naturally. Since this has been
    done, ICness is not reliable evidence of design.
    You seem to be desperately contradicitng yourself here. Can IC systems arise
    naturally or not?

    Nelson:
    Since the 3-bone system is not IC you are arguing a strawman. Since it is at
    the phenotypical level it is doubly irrelevant.

    IC is IC, if you can show that a mousetrap can be built in parts, as has been
    shown, then it shows that IC systems can arise naturally. Even if the 3 bone
    system is not IC, there are plenty of IC examples.

    "There are at least three different ways that an IC system can be produced by
    a series of small modifications: 1)
    Improvements become necessities, 2) Loss of scaffolding 3) Duplication and
    divergence. By Behe's definition, many systems we
    see around us are IC, and yet have developed gradually. Think of the chaotic
    growth of towns into large cities, the self-organizing
    forces behind market economies, and the delicate causal webs that define
    complex ecosystems. Evolutionary algorithms run on
    computers routinely evolve irreducibly complex designs. So given an IC
    system, it could either be the product of coordinated
    design, or of a gradual, cumulative, stochastic process. The truth is, we
    should expect Darwinian evolution to produce such
    systems in biology, and not be surprised to find them. The underlying
    processes are called co-adaptation and co-evolution, and
    they have been understood for many years. Biochemical structures and pathways
    are not built up one step at a time in linear
    assembly-line fashion to meet some static function. They evolve layer upon
    layer, contingency upon contingency, always in flux,
    and retooling to serve current functions. The ability of life to evolve in
    this fashion has itself evolved over time. Detecting IC does
    not indicate design, and therefore Behe's hypothesis collapses. H. Allen Orr
    says it best in his perceptive review:"

    "Behe's colossal mistake is that, in rejecting these possibilities, he
    concludes that no Darwinian solution remains. But
         one does. It is this: An irreducibly complex system can be built
    gradually by adding parts that, while initially just
         advantageous, become-because of later changes-essential. The logic is
    very simple. Some part (A) initially does
         some job (and not very well, perhaps). Another part (B) later gets added
    because it helps A. This new part isn't
         essential, it merely improves things. But later on, A (or something
    else) may change in such a way that B now
         becomes indispensable. This process continues as further parts get
    folded into the system. And at the end of the day,
         many parts may all be required."

         "The point is there's no guarantee that improvements will remain mere
    improvements. Indeed because later changes
         build on previous ones, there's every reason to think that earlier
    refinements might become necessary. The
         transformation of air bladders into lungs that allowed animals to
    breathe atmospheric oxygen was initially just
         advantageous: such beasts could explore open niches-like dry land-that
    were unavailable to their lung-less peers.
         But as evolution built on this adaptation (modifying limbs for walking,
    for instance), we grew thoroughly terrestrial
         and lungs, consequently, are no longer luxuries-they are essential. The
    punch-line is, I think, obvious: although this
         process is thoroughly Darwinian, we are often left with a system that is
    irreducibly complex. I'm afraid there's no
         room for compromise here: Behe's key claim that all the components of an
    irreducibly complex system 'have to be
         there from the beginning' is dead wrong." [*]

    I also was incorrect, it's the middle ear not the inner ear

    Wesley wrote:

    "It's the impedance-matching function of the mammalian *middle* ear that is
    proffered as an example. I saw someone today
     saying that it is unnecessary to mammalian hearing. This ignores the fact
    that every piece is absolutely necessary to
     the impedance-matching function. That function goes away (with about a 30
    dB re 1 microbar decrease in sensitivity, or
     about 1 / (2^10) the original sensitivity) if any of the parts are removed.
     The human blood clotting system, one of Behe's
     examples of IC systems, is not *necessary* to circulation in much the same
    way."

    http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/box/behe.htm