Re: Piecemeal genetic differences as support for macroevolution, etc.

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 02:28:44 EDT

    At 01:50 PM 08/25/2000, you wrote:

    >Brian:
    > >No, the point is that the purpose, plan or design is not something that
    > > science can say anything about. If it cannot, then people should keep
    > >quiet about it, unless of course they are just giving their opinions.
    > > Everyone's entitled to an opinion, even Darwinists :). (snip)
    > >When it comes to purpose, meaning etc.
    > >science doesn't know what it is talking about. So, when it comes to these
    > >things it needs to keep its mouth shut.
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >H Brian. I don't remember anyone objecting in the days when quite well known
    >biologists were declaring purpose did not exist in nature, and Darwinism
    >supported Atheism. (In these public discussions, many people still do.) Now
    >that some scientists are arguing for purpose, why insist everyone remain
    >silent on the subject? Personally, I see no reason why any scientist
    >shouldn't include his belief in either the existence or non existence of
    >purpose as implied by his explanation of phenomena. All theories include
    >assumptions, and assumptions are often unprovable.

    It's not quite true that science cannot study design or purpose. However,
    it *is* true that it cannot study the purposes of an alleged *God,* whose
    background and context are inherently unknown to us. It is precisely
    *because* we cannot study such purposes that we cannot use the apparent
    *lack* of design to prove that things like the human wrist came about
    because of evolution. We can only point out that, functionally, for the
    purposes of survival and human wellbeing, the wrist (and much else) is
    either not designed or is *badly* designed (by a God with no knowledge of
    mechanical engineering).

    A theory may or may not include unprovable assumptions. If a theory
    pertaining to evolution includes unprovable assumptions (or at least
    assumptions with a good scientific basis), then it is not likely to be any
    good. It is certainly not acceptable as good science. Supernaturalism would
    be one of the worst possible assumptions because it disconnects theory from
    observable facts, and turns it into a kind of game of bad philosophy posing
    as science.

    *If* there were evidence of design, rather than merely evidence that
    non-functional genes have generally been weeded out by the physical
    requirement that *functional* genes promote the survival/reproduction of
    the genome, then it would be quite possible to study it scientifically. We
    could ask, and pose hypotheses as to why the designers made certain choices
    rather than others, and we could *then* say of a particular hypothesis,
    "Given this hypothesis, what *other* empirically observable facts should in
    fact be the case?" Thus, if we find the first ten million digits of pi
    encoded in the human genome, we might suspect that it was an attempt on the
    part of the designers to communicate with us. Then, we might ask: "If this
    is true, what *other* communications should we find? Should we expect to
    find e (the base of natural logarithms) also thusly encoded?" If we found a
    large tome of clear English prose thus encoded, we could just read it and
    possibly determine its purpose (or at least a plausible purpose for it). If
    it said, "This message is encoded here in the human genome so as to provide
    you with evidence that you are a designed species, and to communicate to
    you the facts about your design and why we chose to design you as we did."
    And, if the rest of the message did in fact provide empirically verifiable
    facts about our genome and our morphology, etc., we could reasonably
    suspect that the specified purpose of the design was in fact the *actual*
    purpose of the design. And then we could, possibly, make predictions as to
    what other facts should also be the case if the claimed purpose is real,
    and then seek to determine if those suspected facts are the case.

    >Brian:
    > >A long time ago I suggested that you should not pay too much
    > >attention to popular level books and articles. This is one reason.
    > >You will find all sorts of Darwinian evangelists that claim Darwinism
    > >proves there is no purpose etc. Remember the subtitle to Dawkins'
    > >book? But you find the same message coming from all manner
    > >of creationists, whether YE, OE or ID. Isn't it interesting that both
    > >sides agree on this point?
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >I am not a scientist, and don't pretend to be engaging in scientific
    >discussions. I am discussing public perception of Darwinism. From what I've
    >read of the "authorities", few of them agree , and an official definition
    >might be difficult to achieve. Neo Darwinism as defined in the Modern
    >Synthesis? If evolution is defined as "change in the gene pool over time",
    >you would probably not find many YECs who denied that took place.

    Chris
    Since that is all that is necessary for macroevolution (because two
    radically different species can be nearly identical in genetics, as long as
    there is enough difference to determine that quite different sets out of
    the bulk of the genes are allowed to be expressed), they would have at
    least to be very stingy about how much or what kinds of such changes can
    occur. I think that that definition, while accurate enough for species that
    reproduce by sexual means (involving genetic recombination), is not
    sufficient as a definition for naturalistic evolutionary theory, which,
    minimally, holds that there is undesigned genetic change over time that
    leads to new species. Incidentally, natural selection does not need to be
    specified, except as the factor which explains why we see *just* the types
    of genomes we do see and not literally trillions of others as well.
    Selection weeds out all the genomes that would appear random, or that
    produce morphological consequences that would appear random. Thus, while we
    see occasional appearances of things that would appear random (such as a
    cow with two heads), this is, at worst, one small bit of randomness
    occurring in a context that is mostly non-random. If the whole cow genome
    were to appear random (in genetic terms), there could not *be* a cow at
    all. Survival requires functionality. Functionality requires *order*. The
    (sufficiently) disorderly are excluded from the party.

    >By the
    >way, your insistence that supporters of ID are "creationists" might be
    >counter productive, as the public gradually discovers that most are not. But
    >why should I complain.

    Chris
    Actually, they *are* creationists. They may not be as uneducated as
    conventional creationists, but they believe (with extremely few exceptions)
    that God created the Universe and life. They just aren't quite as lame as
    those who try to take Genesis absolutely literally. Creationists are also
    ID-theorists. They believe that God created the Universe according to a
    *design*, not either randomly or *merely* by specifying a Universe with
    laws of physics and such that merely accidentally *happened* to yield life.

    The differences are fairly superficial; the core beliefs in common are
    fundamental and the beliefs not in common are secondary.

    >Brian:
    > >But you will not find this sort of talk, by and large, in the scientific
    > >literature. Random mutation
    > >means random with respect to the benefits of the organism.
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >A mutation with a Lamarckian component would not be random with respect to
    >the benefits of the organism. Since no one understands the nature of the
    >"natural order", " biological pathways", "design", etc., that produce
    >beneficial mutations, a Lamarckian influence can not be ruled out.

    Chris
    The problem is that Lamarckianism implies empirically observable facts that
    do not occur. It *can* be ruled out precisely for this reason. Besides,
    Lamarckianism, though it turns out to *contradict* the facts, was at least
    a *scientific* theory (which is precisely why it *could* contradict the
    facts; ID cannot contradict the facts because it makes no empirically
    observable factual claims against which it can be tested, and that is why
    it is *not* scientific.

    >Brian:
    > >I don't think of myself as a Darwinist in any usual sense of the word.
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >Darwinism is specifically what I -- and others -- question. I know of no ID
    >supporter who is skeptical of the more vague definitions of "evolution". No
    >one questions that chance exists as a part of nature. We doubt that chance
    >is an important mechanism in the creation of life's diversity and complexity.

    Chris
    A designer would be hard put to deliberately try to outdo chance in this
    respect. Chance can "try" things that no designer would ever think of.

    Further, though I do not consider myself to be a Darwinist, except in a
    very broad sense, certainly *my* views have been received with skepticism
    by some on this list. You seem to regard Darwinism as the only form of
    purely naturalistic evolutionary theory there is. Evolution as ongoing
    naturalistic variation coupled with ongoing natural selection might be
    broadly considered to be Darwinism, I suppose, but Darwin certainly had no
    currently acceptable idea as to the genetic mechanisms involved because
    genetics was still "dormant" (and did not get permanently established until
    1900).

    >Fifteen years ago evolution meant Darwinism -- gradualism, random mutation
    >and natural selection, with the usual meaning of "random" - without, plan,
    >purpose, meaning or design. Many well-known scientists did not hesitate
    >equate it with atheism. Johnson was the first I discovered who questioned
    >Darwinism publicly. (There had been others, but I hadn't yet come across
    >them.) Some scientists have since questioned gradualism, have expanded the
    >meaning of "random" to include the possibility of teleology, have added
    >concepts such as "natural order" and "genetic pathways", etc. If Johnson,
    >Denton, Behe, Dembski, etc., played any part in that change, I am grateful to
    >them. Obviously those Darwinists who witnessed this adoption of a less
    >dogmatic definition of "evolution" feel only resentment. If someone were
    >able to show me the flaws in my thinking, and produce an explanation of life
    >I could accept, I would feel jubilation, not resentment. (I warn everone
    >ahead of time. Telling me how stupid or dishonest I am won't do it.)

    I doubt that you would find *any* naturalistic explanation of life
    acceptable, regardless of its scientific backing, because you wouldn't
    bother to learn the *thinking* skills necessary to properly evaluate it.
    Science is highly conceptual, and bad concepts tend to get weeded out in
    science just as they do within mathematics, etc. You do not bother to
    rigorously define concepts like those of spontaneity, creativity, free
    will, etc., in a way that would make them capable of *any* meaningful
    explanation, and yet you insist on believing in them as basic facts of
    existence and as somehow distinct from the implications of physics,
    chemistry, thermodynamics, and so on. You have allowed yourself to become
    trapped in an inherently anti-scientific world-view determined by
    fundamental flaws in how you establish and manage such concepts, so we
    should not expect even a *perfect* (and perfectly true) description of life
    in naturalistic terms to make headway in your mind until you realize that
    this kind of basic conceptual fog needs correction. Would you be willing to
    learn computer programming so you could try out various critical ideas
    about evolutionary processes? This would not be a necessity, but my point
    is that, if it *were* a necessity, you would probably not do it. Defining
    ideas specifically and rigorously enough to build them into a computer
    program would not be something you'd be willing to do. Nor, I believe,
    would you be willing to learn enough computer programming to unambiguously
    examine a computer program written by someone else and published with the
    claim that it represents a crucial model of how real-world evolution might
    work.

    I'm not saying you are dishonest, or even stupid, but you *are* blinded to
    the enormously rich possibilities of naturalistic explanations by your
    mind-set and your foggy concepts.