Re: quote is wildly out of context? (was A Baylor Scientist on Dembski 1/2)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 20:30:56 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:52:22 -0700, Cliff Lundberg wrote:

    [...]

    >>SJ>"If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which
    >>>could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive,
    >>>slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down."
    >>>(Darwin C.R., "The Origin of Species," 6th Edition, 1928, reprint,
    >>>p.170)

    >SB>and you know the above quote is wildly out of context.

    CL>Could you (or someone) suggest a proper context for this quote?

    Cliff is taking Susan literally. When a Darwinist says that a creationists
    "quote is wildly out of context," they *really* mean that they don't have
    any answer to it!

    If they really did mean that a quote was "out of context" they would also
    show *why* it was out of context. But they *never* do.

    The context in question was Darwin's "Origin of Species," Chapter VI,
    "Difficulties of the Theory," section "Modes of Transition". It was the
    first sentence of that section. It followed a section "Organs of
    extreme Perfection and Complication," where Darwin had immediately
    before discussed the problem of the eye:

            "It is scarcely possible to avoid comparing the eye with a telescope.
            We know that this instrument has been perfected by the long-
            continued efforts of the highest human intellects; and we naturally
            infer that the eye has been formed by a somewhat analogous
            process. But may not this inference be presumptuous? Have we any
            right to assume that the Creator works by intellectual powers like
            those of man? If we must compare the eye to an optical instrument,
            we ought in imagination to take a thick layer of transparent tissue,
            with spaces filled with fluid, and with a nerve sensitive to light
            beneath, and then suppose every part of this layer to be continually
            changing slowly in density, so as to separate into layers of different
            densities and thicknesses, placed at different distances from each
            other, and with the surfaces of each layer slowly changing in form.
            Further we must suppose that there is a power, represented by
            natural selection or the survival of the fittest, always intently
            watching each slight alteration in the transparent layers; and
            carefully preserving each which, under varied circumstances, in any
            way or in any degree, tends to produce a distinctive image. We
            must suppose each new state of the instrument to be multiplied by
            the million; each to be preserved until a better one is produced, and
            then the old ones to be all destroyed. In living bodies, variation will
            cause the slight alterations, generation will multiply them almost
            infinitely) and natural selection will pick out with unerring skill each
            improvement. Let this process go on for millions of years- and
            during each year on millions of individuals of many kinds and may
            we not believe that a living optical instrument might thus be formed
            as superior to one of glass, as the works of the Creator are to those
            of man?" (Darwin C.R., "The Origin of Species," 6th Edition, 1928,
            reprint, pp.169-170).

    In that context, Darwin then immediately after (i.e. with no text in
    between), wrote the quote in question:

            "Modes of Transition

            If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which
            could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive,
            slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down. But I
            can find out no such case. No doubt many organs exist of which we
            do not know the transitional grades, more especially if we look to
            much-isolated species, round which according to the theory, there
            has been much extinction. Or again, if we take an organ common to
            all the members of a class, for in this latter case the organ must
            have been originally formed at a remote period, since which all the
            many members of the class have been developed; and in order to
            discover the early transitional grades through which the organ has
            passed, we should have to look to very ancient ancestral forms,
            long since become extinct." (Darwin, p.170).

    In fact the above quotes are also in the first edition of Darwin's Origin
    which can be checked online at:

    http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/charles_darwin/origin_of_species/Chapter6.html

    CL>It seems to me such a clear and absolute statement, I don't see
    >how it can be quibbled with.

    It *can* "be quibbled with" by those Darwinists to whom Darwinism is not
    a testable scientific theory, but a `religion'.

    This is evident by those who even deny Behe's irreducible complexity
    mousetrap analogy. They cannot even accept that there could be an
    *analogy*. That is, to them *in principle* there cannot even be any such
    thing as "irreducible complexity" in biology. IOW *to them* Darwinism is
    unfalsifiable.

    CL>Darwin was wrong about gradualism.
    >If you insist on gradualism, you are an ally of the ID advocates.

    That is true, because it was Darwin's theory of how a "complex organ"
    could "have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications"
    which supplanted Paley's design argument, by purporting to show how a
    complex organ like the eye *could* have been built up by ordinary tiny
    variations that conferred a slight survival advantage to the animals
    possessing them.

    However, if evolution of a "complex organ" like the eye was not by
    "numerous, successive, slight modifications", then one would have to
    advocate the equivalent of a genetic miracle!

    But the problem for those non-Darwinian evolutionists like Cliff who want to
    get away from the problems caused by Darwin's "numerous, successive,
    slight modifications", is well stated Neo-Darwinism's co-founder Julian
    Huxley:

            "In any case, if we repudiate creationism, divine or vitalistic
            guidance, and the extremer forms of orthogenesis, as originators of
            adaptation, we must (unless we confess total ignorance and
            abandon for the time any attempts at explanation) invoke natural
            selection-or at any rate must do so whenever an adaptive structure
            obviously involves a number of separate characters, and therefore
            demands a number of separate steps for its origin. A one-character,
            single-step adaptation might clearly be the result of mutation; once
            the mutation had taken place, it would be preserved by natural
            selection, but selection would have played no part in its origin. But
            when two or more steps are necessary, it becomes inconceivable
            that they shall have originated simultaneously. The first mutation
            must have been spread through the population-by selection before
            the second could be combined with it, the combination of the first
            two in turn selected before the third could be added, and so on with
            each successive step. The improbability of an origin in which
            selection has not played a part becomes larger with each new step."
            (Huxley J.S., "Evolution: The Modern Synthesis," 1945, pp.473-474).

    >SB>And that the "numerous, successive, slight modifications" need not
    >>be linear.

    CL>What does it mean to say that "numerous, successive, slight
    >modifications" need not be *linear*?

    Presumably Susan means that the changes could be all happening in parallel
    in different animals in the same species and then all came together in the
    one right animal (or mated pair), in the right order, at the right time?

    If so, this presents a furtjer major problem for Darwinism, as Cambridge
    University Professor of Cell Biology E.J. Ambrose pointed out:

            "Mayr has pointed out that almost every gene has multiple effects in
            higher organisms. These closely integrated interactions between the
            genes, leading to highly ordered structures are inexplicable in terms
            of randomly generated assemblies of molecules. If this is the case, a
            single gene mutation cannot generate a structure of new
            complexity. But according to neo-Darwinism, genes are distributed
            within the population. To produce a significantly new structure 3 or
            10, or more generally 30-40 genes closely cooperating would have
            to be brought together in the same individual. To design a new style
            of dress for women, the designer would have to bring together the
            suppliers of fabrics with their various colours, suppliers of lace,
            suppliers of ribbons, etc. Working as a team, the final design would
            emerge. So it would be with the group of newly modified genes,
            which together, working in harmony would generate the new
            complexity. The rate of mutation is 1 in million, out of these non
            harmful mutations are 1 in 1000. For 2 such to occur would be 1 in
            10^3 x 10^3. For 5 to occur 1 in 1000 million million (1 in 10^15)."
            (Ambrose E.J., "The Mirror of Creation," 1990, p.167).

    An Intelligent Designer could guide this `parallel processing' and bring
    it all together when needed, but not a blind watchmaker!

    "It is thus hardly surprising that the vast majority of biologists have
    accepted it [the theory of natural selection] as *the* theory of evolution.
    Yet there have always been those who are dissatisfied with the theory. The
    issue is not whether natural selection does occur; the question is whether
    the basic framework of neo-Darwinism-the natural selection of random
    mutations-is sufficient to account for most, if not all evolutionary change;
    for such is the claim of the modern "synthetic" theory.." (Ho M.W. &
    Saunders P.T., "Beyond neo-Darwinism - An Epigenetic Approach to
    Evolution", Journal of Theoretical Biology, Vol. 78, pp.573-591, 1979,
    p.574. Emphasis in original)