Re: A Baylor Scientist on Dembski 1/2

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 21:52:22 EDT

    Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    >> "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which
    >> could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive,
    >> slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down."
    >> (Darwin C.R., "The Origin of Species," 6th Edition, 1928, reprint,
    >> p.170)

    >and you know the above quote is wildly out of context.

    Could you (or someone) suggest a proper context for this quote?
    It seems to me such a clear and absolute statement, I don't see
    how it can be quibbled with. Darwin was wrong about gradualism.
    If you insist on gradualism, you are an ally of the ID advocates.

    >And that the "numerous, successive, slight modifications" need not
    >be linear.

    What does it mean to say that "numerous, successive, slight
    modifications" need not be *linear*?

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com