Re: the `body language' of a threatened `priesthood'? (was More fiction from Stephen)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 02:53:06 EDT

    CC>... Johnson and his gang of intellectual thugs ....
    >we have almost pure trash like "Darwin on Trial," ...
    >... I know how unreliable Stephen is at quoting, ...
    >Johnson has not given up his campaign of lies and misrepresentations.
    >... A sick desire to prove himself "right" to his following of the
    >intellectually under_achievers. ...
    >2. ... which, like most
    >forms of Christianity, is always willing to sacrifice things like the truth
    >...Johnson exposes essentially his entire fraud ...
    >...He never had any scientific evidence to *begin* with.

    [...]
    Stephen
    Thanks to Chris for his message warmly supporting my argument about
    "the `body language' of a threatened `priesthood'". I encourage him
    to keep up the good work! :_)

    Chris
    Since a portion of the evidence upon which I based my claims was in the remarks
    that Jones quoted from Johnson, and since I encouraged the readers to
    examine the
    rest of the evidence (i.e., "Darwin on Trial," etc.), this is hardly a
    question of
    "body language." Since Johnson implicitly admits that he has little real
    case, that
    his position is based on his dislike of what he claims is the style of
    argument of
    evolutionists, one question is: Is the view of evolutionists regarding
    Johnson a
    matter of a "threatened priesthood," as Jones would have it, or a disgust
    brought
    on by the dishonesty, demagoguery, and general anti_rationality of Johnson (as
    exhibited in great detail in his own books and interviews)?

    Jones above says I'm supporting his view of evolutionists as a "threatened
    priesthood." How so? Apparently *I'm* now considered by Jones to be part of
    this
    priesthood. But, I do not teach at any university or high school, and what
    little of
    my views on evolution that have been "published" have been so almost
    entirely on
    this list. Most of my friends do not even know that I have a deep interest
    in this
    topic.

    Much of the point of my post was to point out:

    1. That the quotation from Phillip Johnson that Jones so generously
    supplied did
    in fact give away his motives and his dishonesty, though I'm sure Johnson
    did not
    mean it to.

    2. That the quotation showed that Johnson had no scientific case (which is why
    there is *still*, after the two *hundred* years since Paley, no empirically
    testable
    predictions emanating from the creationist/ID "brain_trusts").

    Since Jones deleted all but the words and phrases of mine which, taken out of
    context, he thought he might make seem to support his views, let me offer the
    Johnson quote once again for the reader's amusement:
    "In the final analysis, it is not any specific scientific evidence that
    convinces me that Darwinism is a pseudoscience that will collapse
    once it becomes possible for critics to get a fair hearing. It is the
    way the Darwinists argue their case that makes it apparent that they
    are afraid to encounter the best arguments against their theory. A
    real science does not employ propaganda and legal barriers to
    prevent relevant questions from being asked, nor does it rely upon
    enforcing rules of reasoning that allow no alternative to the official
    story. If the Darwinists had a good case to make, they would
    welcome the critics to an academic forum for open debate, and they
    would want to confront the best critical arguments rather than to
    caricature them as straw men. Instead they have chosen to rely
    upon the dishonorable methods of power politics." (Johnson P.E.,
    "The Wedge of Truth: Splitting the Foundations of Naturalism,"
    InterVarsity Press: Downers Grove IL., 2000, p.141)

    The first sentence gives it away: He has no specific evidence that
    Darwinism is a
    pseudoscience that will collapse. This implies that he has no specific
    evidence that
    Darwinism is false. And *this* means that all of his ranting and raving that he
    *did* have such specific evidence since at least the publication of
    "Darwinism on
    Trial" has been either lies or incredibly gross errors.

    Now, if *you* were setting up some sort of academic forum for the debate of
    some topic, and someone with no scientific knowledge or qualifications and who
    had proved himself to be either incredibly ignorant or incredibly dishonest (or
    both) for several years demanded to be heard, would you feel inclined to invite
    him (or those like him) merely because he (or they) claimed to have "the best
    critical arguments," even though, in several books, he had not been able to
    provide
    any of any significance at all?

    Oh, there *is* a "threatened priesthood," alright; nearly all variants of
    creationist
    Christianity (of which ID is, mainly -- with *very* few exceptions -- a
    subtype).
    They feel that one of their stronghold supersti -- er, beliefs -- is being
    threatened.
    If too many people accept that we might have evolved naturalistically,
    there will
    be little reason for them to accept so much of the rest of the crap
    Christianity tries to cram down our throats and into our children. This is
    one of the last bastions of mindless Christian theism, and it has to be
    protected.

    And, a point I did not make in the post to which Stephen responded: Most of
    Johnson's claims *are* straw men. Johnson steadfastly refuses to understand
    either
    pure Darwinism or naturalistic evolutionary theory generally -- or he at least
    *pretends* to not understand. A good-sized book could be written dealing with
    just this aspect of Johnson's arguments in his books. I do not regard
    myself as, by
    any means, a pure Darwinist, because I think Margulis and others with
    suggestions
    of non-Darwinistic means by which genomes can acquire changes are very likely
    right. Nevertheless, Darwinism is *hardly* pseudoscience. At best, it will be
    shown to be, in its strictest forms, inadequate. After all, Darwin had *no*
    knowledge of genetics as such, or of the incredible richness of the
    possibilities of
    information layering, retroviruses, and so on were not available to him for
    consideration.

    If you feel even *remotely* that Jones might be right, I urge you most
    strongly to read
    the paragraph from Johnson again, and then just *try* to find real_world
    instances
    of *scientists* attempting to put legal barriers in the way of *asking*
    questions.
    Then, ask yourself what rules of "reasoning" Johnson would like to use, and
    what
    alternatives to the "official story" *they* would allow. Would "Santa Claus
    did it"
    become an acceptable alternative? Yes, if we accept Johnson's epistemology.
    Why? Because it's style of argument that is the arbiter of truth, not
    reality and
    whether one has any specific evidence that would be sufficient to convince a
    rational person of the truth of one's claims. Remember, according to Johnson
    himself, "In the final analysis, it is not any specific scientific evidence
    that
    convinces me that Darwinism is a pseudoscience that will collapse once it
    becomes possible for critics to get a fair hearing. It is the way the
    Darwinists
    argue their case that makes it apparent that they are afraid to encounter
    the best
    arguments against their theory."

    Oh, and remember, Johnson has published several books giving *everyone* who
    is even slightly interested a "fair hearing," as have his colleagues Behe,
    Dembski,
    and many others. There is no wanting for fair hearing at all. He's already
    *got* all
    the "fair hearing" a person could want (not to mention herds of followers).
    What
    he is having trouble getting is *acceptance* of the crackpot theory that some
    designers sat around and dreamed up the platypus, the giraffe, the tick,
    bubonic
    plague, botulism, flies, gingivitis, flatulence, boils, squids, lice,
    flesh_eating
    bacteria, cancer, and HIV, and then actually *created* them all, along with
    many
    others, *deliberately,* and that they spent nearly four billion years
    manipulating
    genes to do it (after first creating the initial Earthly life forms). Is
    there any reason
    to accept such a theory, any more than there is to accept the theory that Jimmy
    Hoffa was abducted by aliens?

    No, but Johnson and his confederacy of dunces don't care about such "minor"
    details as actually *having* good criticisms of Darwinism or strong positive
    support for their *own* theory; they want a "fair hearing" regardless.