Re: What is a "Darwinist'?

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 07:48:54 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 20:41:45 EDT, Bertvan@aol.com wrote:

    [...]

    >HX>I wasn't aware that Darwin said anything about mutations. How many
    >>actual Darwinists do you know? You do realize, skepticism or no, there is evidence
    >>for selection, right?

    >BV>... Are you telling me "random mutation and natural selection" isn't
    >Darwin's term? (It's not my bible and I don't keep a copy handy, but I'm
    >sure someone else on the list knows whether Darwin actually used the term.).

    Darwin did actually use the term "mutation" in the Origin of Species, but as
    a term for change. It was not used of genetic mutations until after Darwin's
    time.

    Darwin did not use the term "random" either in the Origin. This was the later
    term of Neo-Darwinism.

    But Darwin did speak of "variations, however slight, and from whatever
    cause" being naturally selected:

            "All these results, as we shall more fully see in the next chapter,
            follow from the struggle for life. Owing to this struggle, variations,
            however slight, and from whatever cause proceeding, if they be in
            any degree profitable to the individuals of a species, in their
            infinitely complex relations to other organic beings and to their
            physical conditions of life, will tend to the preservation of such
            individuals, and will generally be inherited by the offspring. The
            offspring, also, will thus have a better chance of surviving, for, of
            the many individuals of any species which are periodically born, but
            a small number can survive. I have called this principle, by which
            each slight variation, if useful, is preserved, by the term Natural
            Selection, in order to mark its relation to man's power of selection.
            But the expression often used by Mr. Herbert Spencer of the
            Survival of the Fittest is more accurate, and is sometimes equally
            convenient. We have seen that man by selection can certainly
            produce great results, and can adapt organic beings to his own uses,
            through the accumulation of slight but useful variations, given to
            him by the hand of Nature. But Natural Selection, as we shall
            hereafter see, is a power incessantly ready for action, and is as
            immeasurably superior to man's feeble efforts, as the works of
            Nature are to those of Art." (Darwin C.R., "The Origin of Species,"
            6th Edition, 1928, reprint, pp.66-67).

    Darwin's relative indifference about how variation arose but only that it
    was not itself biased towards adaptive improvement, is what Darwinists'
    mean by "random":

            "There is a fifth respect in which mutation might have been
            nonrandom. We can imagine (just) a form of mutation that was
            systematically biased in the direction of improving the animal's
            adaptedness to its life. But although we can imagine it, nobody has
            ever come close to suggesting any means by which this bias could
            come about. It is only in this fifth respect, the 'mutationist' respect,
            that the true, real-life Darwinian insists that mutation is random.
            Mutation is not systematically biased in the direction of adaptive
            improvement, and no mechanism is known (to put the point mildly)
            that could guide mutation in directions that are non-random in this
            fifth sense. Mutation is random with respect to adaptive advantage,
            although it is non-random in all sorts of other respects. It is
            selection, and only selection, that directs evolution in directions that
            are nonrandom with respect to advantage." (Dawkins R., "The
            Blind Watchmaker," 1991, p.312)

    BV>Some form common ancestry was discussed decades before Darwin, and I believe
    >Darwin's contribution was the theory that life's complexity was the result of
    >small random changes, (without plan, purpose or design) , and that those
    >organism with the most advantageous (complex?) changes thrived and produced
    >progeny at the expense of those lacking such advantageous mutations. Thus
    >natural selection supposedly (gradually) "designed" complex organisms. (If
    >this is not your belief, we might not necessarily be in disagreement.)

    This is correct. Dawkins recently expressed the Neo-Darwinian naturalistic
    orthodoxy of gradual, continuous change in a review of Tattersall &
    Schwartz' "Extinct Humans":

            "But that's enough about the tone of the argumentative parts of this
            book. What of their substance? What is actually at stake when
            claims are made about numbers of extinct species of hominid?
            Where fossils are concerned, rather little. Whether they belonged to
            15 species or one, individual males mated with individual females
            and had individual children. Some local populations were far from
            other populations, perhaps separated by rivers or mountains, or
            even just by cultural barriers, and so did not interbreed. There was a
            continuum of variation among local populations scattered around
            Africa, and later around the world. Names like "race," "subspecies,"
            "species" and "genus" signify, in increasing degrees, the genetic
            separation that tends to arise when populations do not interbreed
            for a while. With one exception, such names are arbitrary, in the
            same way as "tall" or "fat." Little therefore rides on statements like
            "Fifteen species of hominid have gone extinct." We find it handy to
            say "John Cleese is a tall man; Mickey Rooney is a short man." But
            it is not clever to get embroiled in passionate arguments over how
            many categories of tallness or shortness deserve a name (giant,
            dwarf, average, etc.). Similarly, it follows from evolution that if all
            the hominids who ever lived were available to us in a gigantic fossil
            museum, all attempts to segregate them into non-overlapping
            species or genera would be futile. No matter how richly branched
            the evolutionary tree, every fossil would be indirectly connected to
            every other by unbroken chains of potential intermarriage. The only
            reason we can indulge our penchant for discontinuous names at all
            is that we are mercifully spared sight of the extinct intermediates. In
            the case of living animals, we see only the tips of the evolutionary
            twigs. For paleontologists, the mercy is that so few individuals
            fossilize. We may believe that the genus Homo is descended from
            the genus Australopithecus. But it is ludicrous to suggest that there
            must once have been a Homo child at the breast of an
            Australopithecus mother. It necessarily follows from the fact of
            evolution that discontinuous naming must ultimately break down."
            (Dawkins R., "Branching Out," Review of "Extinct Humans," by
            Ian Tattersall and Jeffrey H. Schwartz, A Peter N. Nevraumont
            Book/ Westview Press, The New York Times, August 6, 2000,
            http://archives.nytimes.com/).

    This is why Dawkins' orthodox gradualistic Neo-Darwinism always trumps
    those who, like Gould, now Tattersall and Schwartz, flirt with discontinuous
    saltational change, because that is what the fossil record looks like. Unless
    there has been supernatural intervention, it always comes back to the fact
    that all organisms have had parents in the normal sense of the term, no matter
    what the fossils say!

    BV>The only person on the list I've asked if they believe random mutation and
    >natural selection created life's complexity was Susan, and she proudly
    >announced she did.

    One of the most interesting things I found about the Reflector is how few
    evolutionists actually believe the sort of evolution (i.e. Neo-Darwinian random
    mutation and natural selection), that is compulsorily taught in schools.

    And those who do claim to believe in RM&NS seem to have no actual hard
    evidence in *nature* of why they do believe in it. For example Richard
    claimed to believe in RM&NS but the best piece of evidence he gave was a
    *computer simulation* (Nilsson & Pelger's) of the development of the eye,
    but he had never actually read the original scientific paper!

    It seems that those evolutionists who believe in RM&NS do so because it
    seems so self-evidently true that no hard evidence is actually necessary?

    Other evolutionists have given up on RM&NS but they still cling to
    `evolution' (often defined as something so vague like "a change in gene
    frequencies in a population" that it cannot be denied) without any actual
    mechanism.

    BV>Most who write about evolution acknowledge the term,
    >"random mutation and natural selection". Certainly Dawkins does, as does
    >Gould. Any biologist who questions "random mutation and natural selection"
    >as the designer of life's complexity is promptly attacked as an
    >anti-evolutionist, such as Denton or Behe. Both believe in common descent.
    >Our own Steve Jones believes in common descent, as do most people supporting
    >ID.

    I don't think that most IDers believe in common descent but it might be fair
    to say that many IDers (including probably Johnson) don't necessarily
    disagree with it. For example Johnson seems untroubled that Mike Behe
    believes in common descent. The funny thing is that the ICR don't seem to
    worry all that much about it either-they sell Behe's book. The *real* issue
    is, and always has been, the *mechanism*:

            "Evidence for structural difference/descent does not constitute
            evidence for the mechanism by which structural transformation
            took place. Therefore, the sorts of evidence that simply indicate
            relationship and/or descent from a common ancestor (e.g.,
            molecular clock data, fossil sequences, chromosomal banding, and
            other measures of similarity) are not relevant to this question unless
            they indicate the nature of the creative mechanism that produced
            novelty during that descent. Evidence of ancestry does not imply
            knowledge of the morphogenetic mechanisms that are able to
            produce novelty. This was perhaps better understood in the
            nineteenth century than it is today (Muller and Wagner, 1991).
            Indeed, by 1850, almost all researchers accepted common descent
            (Gillespie, 1979; Desmond, 1989). The unique implication of
            Darwin's theory was therefore not descent, but its suggestion that
            the source of biotic order was to be found in the natural (material)
            order. " (Wilcox D.L., "A Blindfolded Watchmaker: The Arrival of
            the Fittest", in Buell J. & Hearn V., eds., "Darwinism: Science or
            Philosophy?", 1994, p195.
            http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/fte/darwinism/chapter13.html)

    BV>If anyone admits they don't know how life's complexity arose, I don't
    >disagree with them. Yes, I know selection probably occurs. It selects
    >traits and genes already in the gene pool. I question that it is responsible
    >for creating complex, novel organs, systems and body parts. Those were
    >"created" by the "mutations". I'm skeptical that those mutations occurred
    >without plan, purpose, or design. Since that is something that can be
    >neither proved nor disproved at this point, I insist that everyone is
    >entitled to their own judgement on the matter.

    [...]

    I certainly agree with Berthajane on this. While I believe that design in
    general, and ID in particular, are both true, and that therefore all theories
    of naturalistic evolution which ignore or deny design are, to the extent they
    do so, false, I do not believe that such evolutionists should therefore be
    suppressed. To me the optimum situation is where all the assumptions and
    facts can be laid out by all sides with people being free to make up their
    own minds.

    Unlike the naturalistic evolutionists, I am confident enough of my position
    that if people were given *all* the assumptions, and all the facts for and
    against both design and undesigned naturalistic evolution, a large number
    (if not most), would chose design.

    "The known fossil record is not, and never has been, in accord with
    gradualism. What is remarkable is that, through a variety of historical
    circumstances, even the history of opposition has been obscured. Few
    modern paleontologists seem to have recognized that in the past century, as
    the biological historian William Coleman has recently written, `The
    majority of paleontologists felt their evidence simply contradicted Darwin's
    stress on minute, slow, and cumulative changes leading to species
    transformation.'" (Stanley, Steven M. [Professor of Paleobiology, The
    Johns Hopkins University, USA], "The New Evolutionary Timetable:
    Fossils, Genes, and the Origin of Species", Basic Books: New York NY,
    1981, p.71)