Re: More about teaching the controversy

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 13:44:04 EDT

    Bertvan@aol.com writes
      in message <9a.8479d4d.26c42be5@aol.com>:

     [...]
    > When two people understand each others position, and still
    > disagree, how do you determine which is "closed minded"? If
    > each sees the same evidence and comes to different conclusions,
    > how do you determine which have reached their conclusions
    > "irrationally"?

       I would never agree that people understand each other or have
       seen or understood the same evidence in the vast majority of
       disagreements. (I've responded to many of your posts,
       Bertvan, but we've hardly ever gotten into a discussion of *details
       and evidence* for or against ID. We talk mainly about feelings
       and motives and emotion, all kinds of subjective topics, but
       rarely objective evidence. Quit honestly, I don't think
       you've seen the same evidence I have at all.)

       Take the current thread:

    http://www.eppc.org/library/conversations/04-evolutioncurriculum.html

       Philip Johnson says this:

    "What the source of [ information content in a bacterial genome ]
    is, whether natural selection or mutation is really an information-creation
    mechanism, seems to be a very intelligent question that, at least
    for official purposes, the scientific establishment ignores."

       The scientific establishment ignores the second implied question
       because its already been answered. Natural selection and mutation
       can be observed to add to the information content of a genome.
       A handy example I've used before is "Reducing antibiotic
       resistance." Schra, Nature Vol 381 9 May 1996, where it was
       shown that bacteria with mutations that allowed them to survive
       in the presence of streptomycin later incurred second-site
       compensatory mutations that allowed them to compete and survive
       right along with natural strains, even in the absence of
       antiobiotics. (Thus, when someone argues that antiobiotic
       resistance is really a loss of information due to the decrease
       in ability to compete with the natural strain in the absence of
       an antibiotic, this example refutes that handily.) If a little
       bit of information can be added to a genome over a little bit of
       time, why not a lot of information over a lot of time? Johnson
       simply doesn't get this.

       (I should add that I've *seen* creationists and ID'ers
       argue that information can't be added, but their arguments
       have always been flawed and there's nothing anyone can really
       point to that suggests that scientists should take such an
       argument seriously.)

       The first question -- whether or not NSRM *did* provide the
       information content of the genome -- is then less interesting
       because once you've demonstrated that something could happen
       and there's no objective reason (as opposed to subjective reasons)
       to think otherwise, that becomes the best support for the
       hypothesis that it did happen.