Re: anti-evolutionists booted out

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 05:04:18 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 19:38:38 -0500, Susan Brassfield wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>First things first. On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 I wrote:

    >>[...]
    >>
    >>BTW what does this mean:
    >>
    >>On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:43:52 -0500, Susan *Brassfield Cogan* wrote:
    >>
    >>Are congratulations in order?

    SB>Sorry, I hadn't responded yet.
    >
    >Yes. *Some* people think I write *really* persuasive e-mails! :-)

    I am glad *someone* does! :-) Congratulations to you both. May you
    have a long and happy life together.

    [...]

    >SJ>Told me so what? Did I ever say that I thought that the YECs would win? I
    >>thought it was an outside chance, but unlikely given that YEC is a minority
    >>position among the general public.

    SJ>that the Kansans would boot their bony butts off the School Board at the
    >very next opportunity.

    See above. It is now going to be *very* interesting for the new Board to
    implement the proposed standards which include a claim that "religious
    values" (which are believed in by more than 80% of the general public) are
    in the same category as "myths" and "superstition":

            "Explanations based on myths, personal beliefs, religious values,
            mystical inspiration, superstition, or authority may be personally
            useful and socially relevant, but they are not scientific." (KANSAS
            Science Education Standards, Kansas State Board of Education,
            Science Sub-Committee, July 30, 1999.
            http://www.cjnetworks.com/~barfield/science.htm).

    As one op-ed writer asked in the Kansas City Star:

            "Did the state writing committee really believe, when it equated
            religious values with "superstition," "mystical inspiration" and
            "myths" in its draft, that the faithful wouldn't rise up out of their
            chairs?"
            http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/opinion.pat,opinion/3774a282.726,.html).

    I am preparing a post on many of the news announcements of the creationist
    KBoE members ouster.

    >SJ>All along I have shared the ID movement's position that *more* (not less)
    >>should be taught about evolution, namely its underlying philosophical
    >>assumptions, and its many problems
    >>
    >>So from that perspective, this is the best possible result for *ID*,
    >>even if it is bad for YECs.
    >>
    >>Now the new Board will have to implement the proposed standards *in
    >>full*, and that will expose in full view to the public gaze, what
    >>macroevolution really is, and will permit a full public debate on the
    >>evidence for it, the controversies even among evolutionists about the
    >>mechanism(s), and the materialistic-naturalistic assumptions underlying it.

    SB>Kansas University has made a pledge to expand evolution education.
    >Ignorance of evolution is what keeps creationism alive.

    That would only be true if the people who knew least about evolution were
    creationists. But among the general public it is the creationists know the
    *most* about evolution. It is those among the general public who know the
    least about evolution who most believe in it.

    In my own case, for example, when I knew the least about evolution I
    believed in it as just God's way of creating. That was my position when I
    joined my first creation/evolution discussion group in 1994. But it was
    when I started to learn more about evolution that I realised the problems in
    it.

    Evolution is like an old oil painting. It looks great from a distance, but
    when you get up close you start to notice the cracks under the surface!

    Now I have just completed the first unit in a Biology degree, which was the
    major unit of evolution in the entire course, I believe even *less* about
    evolution.

    So I am confident that as the debate opens up and the general public
    become more aware of the problems of evolution, its materialistic-
    naturalistic philosophical assumptions, its implications (e.g. rape is OK),
    and the *fantastic* levels of design in the cell, they will come to doubt
    evolution more and more, and believe in design more and more.

    SB>The
    >materialistic-naturalistic assumptions are a given. You aren't going to
    >gain anything by exposing what is widely known to be basic and necessary
    >for science.

    That case will now have to be *made* before the 80% plus of the general
    public who do not believe it, not just assumed apriori by the 10% who do.

    SB>Anything else is phrenology.

    Susan would like to think so. But I doubt that the 80% plus of the general
    public who believe in some sort of creation will like the 10% who don't,
    labelling their view as "phrenology"!

    In the end, Susan and her ilk will need to come up with some *arguments*
    rather relying on ridicule and abuse. Ridicule and abuse might be OK on
    relatively limited Internet forums like this, but when the general public start
    asking questions, they will recognise it as the language of power politics
    and not of science:

            "In the final analysis, it is not any specific scientific evidence that
            convinces me that Darwinism is a pseudoscience that will collapse
            once it becomes possible for critics to get a fair hearing. It is the
            way the Darwinists argue their case that makes it apparent that they
            are afraid to encounter the best arguments against their theory. A
            real science does not employ propaganda and legal barriers to
            prevent relevant questions from being asked, nor does it rely upon
            enforcing rules of reasoning that allow no alternative to the official
            story. If the Darwinists had a good case to make, they would
            welcome the critics to an academic forum for open debate, and they
            would want to confront the best critical arguments rather than to
            caricature them as straw men. Instead they have chosen to rely
            upon the dishonorable methods of power politics." (Johnson P.E.,
            "The Wedge of Truth: Splitting the Foundations of Naturalism,"
            2000, p.141)

    "They survived by swiftness and cunning. And then, only a moment ago,
    some small arboreal animals scampered down from the trees. They became
    upright and taught themselves the use of tools, domesticated other animals,
    plants and fire, and devised language. The ash of stellar alchemy was now
    emerging into consciousness. At an ever-accelerating pace, it invented
    writing, cities, art and science, and sent spaceships to the planets and the
    stars. These are some of the things that hydrogen atoms do, given fifteen
    billion years of cosmic evolution. It has the sound of epic myth, and rightly.
    But it is simply a description of cosmic evolution as revealed by the science
    of our time. We are difficult to come by and a danger to ourselves. But any
    account of cosmic evolution makes it clear that all the creatures of our
    Earth, the latest manufactures of the galactic hydrogen industry, are beings
    to be cherished." (Sagan C., "Cosmos," [1980], Macdonald: London, 1981,
    reprint, pp.337-339).