Re: Fw: Re: Designed Designers?

From: Steven P Crawford (stevenpcrawford@juno.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 10:50:40 EDT

    On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:56:45 -0500 Chris Cogan <ccogan@telepath.com>
    writes:
    > Chris
    > You make a good point. From an ID point of view, every form of
    > intelligent life would appear designed, even though from the point
    > of view of naturalistic evolutionary theory, it would only be
    "designed"
    > by natural culling or "editing" out "bad" design.
    >
    > But, worse is the prospect of *God* as a designer, because *He*
    > would, being perfect, omniscient, omnipotent, etc., be even *more*
    > clearly the object of design from an ID point of view than ordinary
    > life on Earth.

    My reasoning against a natural undesigned designer was carefully couched
    in ID's own terms. ID claims to empirically detect design by analysis of
    parts and how those parts mesh and interact. In my post, I tried to show
    how any alien designer must conceivably have its own parts (a type of
    brain, systems for metabolism, systems for movement, etc.). From this I
    made my further deductions.

    But please note: nowhere was my argument for the necessary design of any
    natural designer based on merely the sheer existence of its intelligence.
     In general, the argument for design does not depend upon the existence
    or non-existence of intelligence within the entity being studied. A
    paramecium is not intelligent, as far as we know, but the argument is
    made that it's cilia are designed. The case for design is founded solely
    upon parts and how they interact, independently of any possible
    intelligence coming from those parts.

    This, therefore, would not mean that God is a "worse prospect" for being
    the undesigned designer. Yes, He is revealed as being infinitely
    intelligent, perfect, etc. But this, in and of itself, does not
    necessarily mean He is designed. This would only be true if His essence
    is shown to have its intermeshing parts. But long before the ID movement
    ever sprung up, Christian theologians were unanimously agreed from
    certain descriptions in the Bible that God has no parts, that His essence
    is absolutely unified and cannot be divided into sections. (See, for
    instance, the second chapter of the Westminster Confession of Faith
    written in the late 17th century.) If this understanding is correct,
    then it would mean that design cannot be detected in the divine being
    (assuming we could even detect Him in the first place). He would
    therefore qualify as a possible candidate for the undesigned Designer.

    > How could such a perfect being exist without having
    > been created to *be* perfect? Other than glazing over or blanking
    > out, there really is no viable alternative for ID theory, because the
    > idea that such an amazing being just *happens* to be the basic
    > metaphysically self-existing "thing" is almost too preposterous to
    > discuss.

    Now we're really getting into some philosophical-theological issues. The
    question of self-existence hinges upon our understanding of its nature.
    There have been those who have argued that God self-exists because He is
    the cause and grounds of His own existence. They conceive of some kind
    of infinite loop within God's being.

    In my view, the better approach to divine self-existence is to say that
    God self-exists because there is no cause whatsoever to His existence.
    Not even God Himself causes His own existence. He is the uncaused Cause.
     He refers to Himself as the "I AM." This would suggest that His
    existence is just that: sheer existence.

    But it all boils down to one's own presuppositions. If this seems "too
    preposterous" to one's mind, it is probably due to some kind of belief
    that, if we can't fully understand something, then it's best to think
    that it doesn't exist or doesn't happen. I don't claim to fully
    comprehend even the things that I just wrote above. Instead, it is my
    faith that bridges the apparent gap between revelation and reason.

    > Much better would be a demigod, or "minigod," who
    > basically has only one power: The ability to analyze molecules
    > and manipulate them to produce new molecules. This power would
    > only involve only *tiny* amounts of energy, and yet would be sufficient
    > to create and then to manipulate life on Earth from its beginning until
    > now.
    >
    > But, then, we are back at the fact that *it* would need design, by ID
    > theory terms, and the infinite regress towards ever-more-powerful
    > designers is back in session.
    >
    > I think the only way to stop this regress is to simply admit that what
    > appears as design to ID theorists may not actually *be* design. But,
    > of course, *that* won't be popular.

    Yes, this is one way to stop the infinite recursion of designers and
    their designs. Yet, the above scheme of a God having no parts is another
    way. You may not find this "reasonable" or "rational," but this would be
    due more to your presuppositions rather than the concept itself.

    Steve C.

    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.