Re: Nightline

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 17:53:45 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 17:54:05 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>Johnson makes it clear that he is talking about "divine
    >>creation" in an gneeralised Intelligent Designer sense,
    >>i.e. one whose "philosophical roots goes back to the ancient
    >>Greeks and Romans".

    [...]

    WE>Anyone can read the transcript whose URL I provided.

    If Wesley is implying that he provided the transcript URL that I posted, he
    is wrong. It was posted to the other List I am on. I received Wesley's post
    in the same session as I sent mine.

    WE>Anyone
    >can see that Koppel's question was about Johnson's claim of a
    >modern scientific theory challenging Darwinian biology.

    And "Anyone can see" that Johnson was not just answering Koppel's
    question but also Neas', trying to equate ID with Paley's Christian Natural
    Theology.

    WE>Anyone can also see that if Johnson's replies don't equate ID
    >with divine creation, then they were evasive and obfuscatory.
    >Take one or the other, but one can't avoid taking one of them.

    And "Anyone can see" that Johnson *immediately* clarified *in the same
    sentence* what he meant by "divine creation", namely "that there is an
    intelligence behind life and necessary in creating it..."

    And "Anyone can see" that Wesley ignores my point that about all
    Christian IDers recognising that there are two separate arguments: 1) there
    is a Designer; and 2) the Designer is the Christian God:

    Those members of the ID movement who are Christians like Johnson,
    Dembski and Behe have made no secret of the fact they are Christians and
    that they believe the Designer to be the Christian God ...

    But they all accept that there are two separate arguments: 1) there is a
    Designer; and 2) the Designer is the Christian God. The first is a purely
    scientific argument from nature, and is not based on the Bible or the
    teachings of any religion. It is therefore not proscribed by the
    Constitutional doctrine of the separation of Church and State. There is no
    reason therefore why the first argument should not be made in schools and
    even science classes.

    But then he *has* to. The whole anti-ID strategy of trying to equate ID
    with just another form of Christian Biblical creationism would collapse like
    a house of cards if Wesley and his ilk conceded even for a moment that
    there are two separate arguments!

    "But many biologists, looking at evolution over longer time intervals, have
    noted that species are rarely modified consistently in one direction long
    enough for significant evolutionary change to accumulate. Even the
    Galapagos finches seem to oscillate, not really "going any where" in an
    evolutionary sense. The reason is that short-term environmental change
    tends to be cyclical, so natural selection is not likely to keep pushing a
    species in any one particular direction long enough for new species or
    major new adaptations to evolve. Furthermore, every species is broken up
    into local populations, each of which belongs to a different local
    ecosystem-making it even less likely that natural selection will modify the
    entire species in any particular way as time rolls on." (Eldredge N.,
    "Evolution and Environment: The two faces of biodiversity," Natural
    History, June 1998, pp.54-55)