Re: 1. Mike Behe's letter to SCIENCE, 2. Provine & Gish's letters, 3. Less of my posts!

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 12:43:52 EDT

    >At 11:24 AM 07/14/2000 -0700, billwald@juno.com wrote:
    >> > but rather it is because he argues that "intelligent design in biology
    >>.... is
    >> >empirically detectable":
    >>
    >>Why, then, doesn't he suggest a method? He only talks in generalities.

    Steven S. Clark, Ph.D.

    >He does suggest a method. Mike says that ID is detectable by irreducible
    >complexity.

    All Behe did was point out that some biological systems are irreducibly
    complex. This wasn't much of a bulletin to most biologists. Then he in
    essence says "I don't understand how they could have evolved, so some god
    must have done it." I've read an essay by Behe explaining the gist of his
    thesis and some reviews of his work. Most biologists (to whom IC was not
    news) can come up with several pathways for evolution to have occurred
    without invoking the supernatural. IC is not proof of ID. It's only proof
    that evolution isn't linear. And who ever said it was?

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/