Defining terms

From: David Bradbury (dabradbury@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 15:02:19 EDT

    Hi again Berthajean ... and let me say that while not particularly
    caught up in certain of your many strings... I do always find thoughts
    in each of your posts that makes 'lurking' them more than worth while.
    Particularly I admire the courteous, thoughtful manner in which you
    always express yourself ... even (particularly) when in disagreement or
    responding to dubious mischaracterizations of your positions.

    Indeed, this is the genius of science ... scientists do not need to get
    caught up in words or emotions, they simply ask how the contrary
    position can be duplicated for verification. If such information is not
    forthcoming, the claim immediately loses the credibility of 'science'
    and reverts to the status of philosophical speculation. A recent
    example being the recent furor over cold-fusion. There was no
    argument. Others simply asked for verifiable evidence ... when this was
    not forthcoming the claim was immediately repudiated as interesting
    speculation (but not empirical science) and the burden of proof placed
    squarely on those who continue to insist claim to be true.

    This is the classic manner in which science is supposed to work. And
    while it works well in the physical (hard) sciences (as above), folks
    "believing" the concept of evolution to be true, and professing it to be
    scientifically established, somehow feel they need not live up to these
    classic accepted standards. Evolution, being an historical (soft)
    science, does not (cannot) meet the requirements of empirical science as
    so frequently asserted.

    The qualifying criteria of empirical science ( confirmable reliability,
    observable by the five senses, physical experiments, etc.) are
    admittedly rigorous. But they are the best way discernible to man by
    which personal bias and human emotion can be minimized. To the extent
    historical sciences (evolution, particularly) do not follow this
    "testability" standard, the least that can be expected (demanded) is a
    description of precisely what criteria they substitute, and which has to
    be met, for an evolutionary statement or conclusion to properly qualify
    as 'scientific'.

    While leading evolutionary gurus readily acknowledge the inability to
    adhere to the "testability" criteria of empirical science, this word
    apparently hasn't filtered down to the 'faithful'. Even more
    disappointing (even anti-scientific) is their failure to share precisely
    WHAT alternate criteria they do apply, to what degree it minimizes bias
    and emotion in conclusions and their estimate of the relative level of
    compelling certainty (compared to physical demonstration) meeting such
    criteria will provide.

    Actually, such uncertainty ... and the inability to provide even a
    single example of empirical evidence establishing biological
    macro-evolution ... has to be frustrating. And the necessity to depend
    upon 'words' (head experiments), rather than 'examples' (physical
    experiments), can only compound their anxiety.

    If the more dogmatic evolutionists could only bring themselves to focus
    on the actual, available, demonstrable, scientific 'facts' ... they
    would not have to fall back on passion and dubious semantics to
    emotionally defend their favored (philosophical, religious) position.
    There is nothing wrong in science to say "I don't know." There is
    something wrong in science to claim to "know" something without being
    willing (or able) to define the proof-method used and provide the
    evidence establishing successful fulfillment of the test-criteria
    applied.

    That the great majority of ALL disagreement in the on-going
    creation/evolution controversy is based more on careless (sloppy,
    ambiguous, deceptive) semantics than on any testable science is well
    reflected in the following approach to language by a well respected
    evolutionist:

    "The most basic facts in science are the 'brute, sensory facts' from
    perceptions which are shared and on which we agree. ...When biologists
    say that 'evolution is a fact', I think they mean that they accept the
    following statement so firmly that they considers it to be as true as
    any basic sensory fact: Each species arose from another species that
    preceded it in time, and higher taxa arose by a continuation of the
    speciation processes. The term fact as commonly applied to such
    statements signifies not the kind of content in the statements but,
    rather, the strength of our acceptance of the statements. So, if we are
    willing to accept a broad definition of fact, biologists are correct in
    saying that '[evolution is a fact.'" Dr. Ralph Lewis, Prof. Emeritus
    Biology, MSU, East Lansing, MI; CREATION-EVOLUTION JOURNAL: No. XXII;
    Pg. 34; 1988.

    No wonder we can't make sense out of each others statements! We never
    know for sure what an evolutionist really means when he uses a word.

    DAB

    P.S. I'm just beginning to organize a few thoughts as to how one might
    best distinguish between 'natural' and 'intelligent' designs (patterns,
    organization, complexity, etc.). Hope to get this out shortly.

    dabradbury@mediaone.net (7/14/00)