Re: macroevolution or macromutations? (was ID) 1/2

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 03:06:08 EDT

    Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    >It is interesting how Cliff slides away from answering the question:
    >"if design was real, how would Cliff ever know it?"

    The designer would have to reveal herself and explain her nature,
    her methods, and her objectives.

    >The fact is that I, and some other IDers (like Mike B. Gene), are as
    >much interested in working out the "puzzle" as Cliff is. In fact,
    >Cliff is a rarity among evolutionists on this List. Most of them
    >are not interested in puzzling out the details, because they have
    >"one big all-inclusive answer", namely "evolution"!

    How about puzzling out the design process? How would that differ
    from evolutionary biology? Would anything that was difficult for
    evolutionary biology be declared an intervention?

    >No. "symbiosis theory" also needs "the `blind watchmaker' to build complex
    >designs". All that "symbiosis theory" does is merge already produced
    >designs together.

    That is doing a lot; that is an evolutionary mechanism that can generate
    new morphological complexity instantly, a mechanisms not envisioned by
    Darwin.

    >Cliff can verbally espouse a `symbiosis all the way
    >down' but it is just `hand-waving' unless Cliff explains *in detail* how
    >symbiosis could build complex designs in the first place.

    There's no observing these processes; they don't seem to be operative
    now among the present highly evolved fauna. So we have to theorize,
    based upon some general notions. The possibility of organisms joining
    is such a general idea. The origin of the primitive fauna that began the
    process is pretty obscure, but the general idea is that complexity was
    built up through cells mutating to form aggregations and specializations.

    >CL>As I suggested recently, symbiosis could work at every level.
    >
    >So "could" the `blind watchmaker' "work at every level". So could ID or
    >creation for that matter. If Cliff is espousing a fully naturalistic theory
    >which is superior to the fully naturalistic theory (i.e. Neo-Darwinism)
    >taught in all the textbooks, then he needs to show it is better than it.

    I don't see how you can subscribe to irreducible-complexity arguments
    against gradualism while maintaining that a theory that goes beyond
    gradualism with new explanations for the evolution of complexity is inferior
    to existing theory.

    >>SJ>Besides, no SET advocate AFAIK claims it happened in "a leap".
    >
    >CL>I don't see how genomic integration could be gradual. It wouldn't
    >>work if the genetic material were divided.
    >
    >Well, the fact is that even now in eukaryotes, "the genetic material" *is*
    >"divided". Mitochondria have their own DNA (i.e. mtDNA) and as well
    >the cells nuclear DNA controls the mitochondria.

    It doesn't matter where the DNA is kept, it's all part of the genome of
    the organism. The point is that the DNA of a symbiont joins the genome
    suddenly, not gradually.

    >And, apart from making Darwinism a mere bystander to this, arguably the
    >greatest `evolutionary' change in the history of life, SET does not explain
    >other major structures of the cell, such as the "nucleolus, the Golgi
    >apparatus, or the microtubules":

    Why should all these things have to be explained at once?

    >If the former, why does Cliff need his pan-symbiosis theory?
    >Macromutations (especially an "astronomical number" of them) could do it
    >all. If the latter, why does Cliff need his pan-symbiosis theory? An
    >"astronomical number of' *micro*-"mutations" coupled with Margulis'
    >SET theory, is what even Dawkins believes:

    The joining of symbionts *is* a macromutation.

    >CL>Again, the point is that here is a mechanism, a wrinkle not envisioned
    >>by Darwin, one which could function at various levels.
    >
    >Cliff hasn't shown that it *is* "a mechanism". To everyone else
    >on this List except Cliff, it looks just like `hand-waving'.

    You accept the mechanism in Margulis's model, what's so bad about
    stretching the concept's application a bit?

    >CL>Right, how can you envision this complex arising step-by-step?
    >
    >I don't have to "envision this complex arising step-by-step". Under
    >my progressive creationist paradigm I could quite consistently
    >postulate the entire cell arose de novo in one fell swoop!

    What *can't* you consistently postulate under ID?

    >Now maybe Cliff can explain how he, under his *fully naturalistic*
    >paradigm, envisions "this complex arising" either "step-by-step" or
    >otherwise?
    >
    >>SJ>Big symbionts invited little symbionts
    >>> into their cytoplasm to bite 'em,
    >>>and little symbionts invited littler symbionts,
    >>> and so ad infinitum! :-)
    >
    >CL>Big symbionts would be complexes built up from smaller ones.
    >
    >It is easy to *say* this, but Cliff needs to show how

    Why? It's a general concept. People have believed in Darwinian evolution
    for a long time without showing how.

    >But before Cliff starts throwing the "personal incredulity" stone, let him
    >consider his own glass house. Cliff's whole symbiosis alternative theory is
    >based on the fact that Cliff personally cannot see how Darwinist
    >gradualism could work, e.g.:

    Bringing in additional mechanisms is not the same thing as invoking
    the supernatural.

    >Indeed, the major difference between Cliff (and all other
    >atheists/agnostics) and theists like me is in fact a *giant* "personal
    >incredulity" issue.

    I don't call myself any of those things, but it's inevitable that you
    would lump me in there. Anyway, it seems that ID is a rival to
    macroevolutionary theory. They are competing explanations for
    the same thing, organic complexity that can't be explained through
    gradualism.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com