Re: Our recent journey out of Africa

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 09:53:53 EDT

    Reflectorites

    Here are excerpts from CNN, BBC and Electronic Telegraph articles from
    1-22 June 2000, with my comments in square brackets.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=QxpHkmHR&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/6/22/ecnafrica22.html
    Electronic Telegraph 22.06.00 Our recent journey out of Africa ... OUR
    ancestors left Africa to colonise the world some 50,000 years ago, much
    more recently than previously thought, an international team reported this
    week. The rough draft of the is about to be published and a study of the
    way it varies among populations will shed new light on human origins. The
    study of genetic code in 70 men worldwide... confirms earlier genetic
    analyses which show that humans came from Africa. The team... concludes
    that the most recent common ancestor of all living men is remarkably
    recent, perhaps as recent as 50,000 years. Studies of other genes suggested
    that the common ancestor lived between 150,000 and 800,000 years ago,
    so the new date "is striking", said Dr Pritchard. The study is consistent with
    fossil evidence suggesting that early modern humans swept west across
    Europe some 35,000 years ago. ... [If true, this late date of 50 kya for the
    last common ancestor of modern humans, will be *stunning*. It will be
    sure to make Hugh Ross happy, since he has long held out for a `stretching'
    of the Genesis genealogies back ~60 kya back to Adam! However, there
    could be a fallacy here in that because many, if not most, lines have died
    out, the LCA of all modern humans alive today would be more recent than
    the LCA of all modern humans who had ever lived (i.e. Adam). Still, the
    trend is in the right direction for those of us who think the Biblical
    genealogies, though maybe summarised, are based on real, historical,
    factual information which goes all the way back to the origin of modern
    humanity.]

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=a2p8eJbL&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/6/15/ecfgen15.html
    Electronic Telegraph 15.06.00 ... Has the genome been overhyped? A
    rough draft of the entire human genetic code genome - has been completed,
    a milestone in the biggest scientific race since the drive to put a man on the
    Moon. This 'book of life', to be unveiled on June 26, will transform
    society...Two distinguished commentators, Matt Ridley and Steve Jones,
    disagree about the genome's significance Matt Ridley WITH an enthusiastic
    book out about the genome, I am not just contributing to the genome hype.
    I might even be said to have a vested interest in it. Before I started my
    book, nearly three years ago, I thought the Human Genome Project was
    going to make a big difference to biology. After a few months in the library
    and on the internet, I had changed my mind: the Human Genome Project is
    going to make a gigantic difference, and not just to biology. It really is BIG
    NEWS... The human genome contains a universe of new information to
    explore and understand. ...What for me is more important than all these
    issues is the philosophical import of the new knowledge. Hidden inside the
    genome are thousands of genes, and millions of non-gene stretches of
    DNA, each of which tells a secret about the past, the present or the future.
    There are genes that tell us what the first creatures on earth looked like
    more than three billion years ago. There are genes that tell us how our
    brains are equipped to produce grammatical language, one of the key
    distinguishing features of being human. There are genes that tell us about
    the body plan of an animal that lived 600 million years ago - the common
    ancestor of people and fruit flies. There are genes that tell us which of our
    ancestors took up dairy farming and when. There are genes that tell us how
    rapidly we will age. There are genes that tell us which infectious diseases
    our recent ancestors suffered from. Above all, there are genes that promise
    to solve old mysteries of determinism and free will.. For example, we
    already know of 17 human genes, expressed in the brain, whose job is to
    lay down new memories by the creation of new connections between brain
    cells. Those genes are at the mercy of our behaviour, so they do not
    determine that behaviour as much as result from it. Yet in acting they affect
    our future behaviour, too. That is why we experience the genuine sensation
    of free will, while not being random beings. ... Steve Jones ...the four
    letters most associated with the announcement of the (more or less)
    complete gene sequence, which are H.Y.P. and E. The four real letters of
    the code will, hyperbolists tell us, revolutionise biology, medicine and our
    view of ourselves. Really? Here's a bit of real code: AACCGGCAG. That's
    the start of a sequence of DNA unique to the human brain; one of the tiny
    proportion of our genes not also found in chimps. Within it, apparently, is
    written part of what it means to be human. Recite those letters, roll them
    around the tongue. Feel different, any new philosophical insights? Of
    course not: there is more to life than chemistry. ...to ban cheeseburgers and
    cigarettes would do more to reduce mortality than anything molecular
    biology can ever do. ... Now all that remains is to admit to the subject's
    four-letter problems and to how little of any practical value that the gene-
    sequencers have actually achieved. straight into the nozzle." ... See also:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=a2p8eJbL&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/6/15/ecngene15.html
    Electronic Telegraph 15.06.00 ... Scientists finish draft of human genetic
    code ... [Although I have a close relative with a genetic disease who might
    benefit from HUGO, somehow I think my namesake Steve Jones is going
    to be closer to the truth than Ridley. Genes actually don't do anything,
    except store information which is transcribed and translated into proteins,
    which then do *everything*! And even if we do work out what the proteins
    do, who is going to pay for all these new treatments if and when they
    eventuate?]

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=a2p8eJbL&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/6/15/ecnrob15.html
    Electronic Telegraph 15.06.00 ... Lamprey is brains behind 'robofish ... a
    newly created part-fish, part-machine is one of the world's most advanced
    cyborgs. The creature has a mechanical body fitted with wheels, motors,
    circuit boards and light sensors but is controlled by the brain of a sea
    lamprey. Although the robot contains only a few nerve cells from the eel-
    like fish, it has learned to follow or avoid lights. Robotics experts are
    convinced that it marks an important step towards a new type of biological
    robot...They removed the brain stem and part of the spinal cord from a
    primitive salt water fish under general anaesthetic and kept it alive in a
    cold, salty solution ... The team then isolated a group of large nerve cells
    called Muller cells. These help lampreys to orientate themselves in water.
    Electrodes attached to the neurons allowed them to be stimulated with
    frequencies they would normally receive in the fish's body. When lights
    were flashed at the robot, the lamprey brain cells learned how to control
    the motors. The cyborg was able to follow and dodge a moving light
    source and move in a circle. Researchers were confident that there could be
    medical benefits. ... [This might support Penrose's claim in "Shadows of the
    Mind" that each cell has a fantastic amount of computing power in its
    microtubules, which if it were true, would far exceed by orders of
    magnitude anything that today's computers can do.]

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_790000/790659.stm BBC
    ... 14 June, 2000 ...Atom smasher revs up... Deep in the sandy woods of
    New York's Long Island, physicists are travelling back to the dawn of the
    Universe. We have just detected the most spectacular subatomic collisions
    ever witnessed by humankind ... They have begun smashing the nuclei of
    gold atoms together at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), the
    world's newest and biggest particle accelerator built to study the building
    blocks of matter. The facility aims to recreate the conditions of the early
    Universe. Scientists will use data collected during the experiments to
    explore the particles known as quarks and gluons that make up protons and
    neutrons. The RHIC has gone online after a publicity campaign sought to
    reassure local people that its work was safe and would not result in the
    creation black holes that would destroy the Earth ... The high temperatures
    and densities achieved in the collisions should, for a fleeting moment,
    reveal the quarks and gluons in a soup-like plasma, a state of matter that is
    believed to have last existed just millionths of a second after the Big Bang.
    Physicists ... say early work has already revealed amazing images of
    particles streaming away from a collision point. .. "We have just detected
    the most spectacular subatomic collisions ever witnessed by humankind,
    and are launching a new era for the study of nuclear matter." Previous
    studies with lower-energy collisions at the CERN laboratory in Switzerland
    have hinted at the existence of a quark-gluon plasma. "But RHIC will
    produce far more definitive results..." ... Detailed studies of the properties
    of the quark-gluon plasma,...will help explain the origins of protons,
    neutrons and other elementary particles ...These magnets guide ions of gold
    around each of the circular rings in opposite directions. The ions move at
    99.995% of the speed of light and collide at points where the two rings
    cross. For a fraction of a second, the colliding ions reach temperatures one
    hundred thousand times hotter than the core of the Sun - hot enough to
    "melt" the ions into their component quarks and gluons. ... [Well, we are
    still here, so they got that right at least! :-) One wonders how close to the
    Big Bang conditions they can get, and whether they can prove or disprove
    cosmic inflation and multiple universe theory?]

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_793000/793988.stm BBC
    ... 16 June, 2000 ... Sugar in space sweetens chances of life ... The
    Universe, it seems, could have a sweet tooth. Astronomers have discovered
    a simple sugar molecule in space. The discovery of the molecule
    glycolaldehyde in a giant cloud of gas and dust near the centre of our own
    Galaxy was made by scientists .... "The discovery of this sugar molecule in
    a cloud from which new stars are forming means it is increasingly likely
    that the chemical precursors to life are formed in such clouds long before
    planets develop around the stars," .... "This discovery may be an important
    key to understanding the formation of life on the early Earth," ....
    "Conditions in interstellar clouds may, in some cases, mimic the conditions
    on the early Earth, so studying the chemistry of interstellar clouds may help
    scientists understand how biomolecules formed early in our planet's
    history" .... Some scientists have suggested that Earth could have been
    "seeded" with complex molecules by passing comets.... Glycolaldehyde is
    an 8-atom molecule composed of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. It can
    combine with other molecules to form the more complex sugars ribose and
    glucose. Ribose is a building block of nucleic acids such as RNA and DNA,
    which carry the genetic code of living organisms. Glucose is the sugar
    found in fruits. Glycolaldehyde contains exactly the same atoms, though in
    a different molecular structure, as methyl formate and acetic acid, both of
    which have been detected previously in interstellar clouds. And
    glycolaldehyde is a simpler molecular cousin to the sugar you stir into your
    coffee, ... The sugar molecule was detected by its faint radio emission in a
    large cloud of gas and dust called Sagittarius B2, some 26,000 light-years
    away, near the centre of our Galaxy. So far, about 120 different molecules
    have been discovered in such clouds. Most of these molecules contain a
    small number of atoms, and only a few molecules with eight or more atoms
    have been found. "Finding glycolaldehyde in one of these interstellar clouds
    means that such molecules can be formed, even in very rarified conditions,"
    .... "But we don't yet understand how it formed." ... [Molecules will form if
    their precursors and energy are present. This discovery, while interesting,
    only underlies the rarity of such sugars in space, and in particular, the non-
    existence of ribose, which is difficult to make and unstable. Even if this was
    a component of life (which it isn't), the detection of an *average* level of a
    compound in space would be of no use if the *individual* molecules were
    short lived. Moreover, molecules in a vast "rarified" cloud would not tell if
    the components were close together. For the synthesis of life as we know it
    one would need very close together at the same time (within a membrane?),
    in pure form, *all* 19 of the 20 optically active amino acids in their L-
    isomer form, plus the 4 nucleotide bases, plus the phosphate and ribose
    backbone molecules, plus the catalytic enzymes to stitch the nucleotides
    base pairs into a DNA or RNA helix, plus the ribosomes and enzymes to
    read the code and start forming the proteins, as well as a source of energy!]

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_790000/790569.stm BBC
    ... 14 June, 2000 ... Woven cloth dates back 27,000 years Clay bearing a
    textile imprint together with a cast ... Woven clothing was being produced
    on looms 27,000 years ago, far earlier than had been thought, scientists
    say. It had been thought that the first farmers developed weaving 5,000 to
    10,000 years ago. But Professor Olga Soffer ... is about to publish details
    ... of 90 fragments of clay that have impressions from woven fibres. Prof
    Soffer first revealed her findings in previous research when she said that a
    25,000 year old figurine was wearing a woven hat. If confirmed, this work
    will change our understanding of distant ancestors, the so-called Ice Age
    hunters of the Upper Palaeolithic Stone Age ... The evidence was obtained
    from a number of sites in the Czech Republic. They were the sporadic
    homes of the Gravettian people who roamed between Southern Russia and
    Spain between 22,000 and 29,000 years ago scratching out a living on a
    semi-frozen landscape. ... A detailed examination of the impressions reveals
    a large variety of weaving techniques. There are open and closed twines,
    plain weave and nets. ... twining can be done by hand but plain weave
    needed a loom. It may be that many stone artefacts found in settlements
    may not be objects of art as had been supposed but parts of an ancient
    loom, which should now be considered as the first machine to be made
    after the wheel and aids such as the axe, club, and flint knife. ... This
    research will force a re-evaluation of our view of ancient man, who lived
    tens of thousands of years ago, before the last Ice Age had ended and
    before the invention of agriculture. The traditional view is of the male Ice
    Age hunters working in groups to kill large prey such as mammoths. But
    this may be a distorted and incomplete view of their lives. ... All that
    scientists have from these ancient times are mostly solid remains such as
    stone, ivory and bone. Now they have evidence of textiles. The discovery
    that they developed weaving as early as 27,000 years ago means that we
    must consider the role that women and children may have played more
    carefully. ...Further revelations are to be expected in this area of research.
    There are recent reports that fragments of burnt textiles have been found
    adhering to pieces of flint. ... [More confirmation of the Biblical picture
    that ancient man was more sophisticated than the evolutionary picture had
    envisaged. Machines presupposed plans and advanced conceptual
    intelligence. Compare this level of sophistication with the Neandertal article
    below.]

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_787000/787918.stm BBC
    ... 12 June, 2000, ... Taste for flesh troubled Neanderthals ... The extinction
    of the Neanderthals could have been caused by their choosy appetites -
    they ate virtually nothing but meat, according to new a study. "They were
    picky eaters," says Dr Paul Pettitt, ..."And this tells me that they are really
    unchanging - doing the same old thing year after year." If their prey, such
    as bison and deer, then became scarce, they would struggle to survive.
    Neanderthals lived in Europe between about 120,000 and 30,000 years
    ago. The cause of their extinction has been the subject of much debate and
    speculation has included their being killed off by early humans and their
    disappearing through interbreeding with humans. "Excellent hunters"
    "Neanderthals were excellent hunters... "But the issue that was at stake
    was whether they hunted every day of their lives or whether it was just a
    summer outing." Now new information, derived from remains found in
    Croatia, suggest that hunting was nearly all they did to gather food. This
    leads to the speculation that the more versatile diets of the early humans
    allowed them to survive when Neanderthals did not. The early humans
    themselves may have been better hunters than the Neanderthals, depriving
    them of their kills. Or the hunted animals may have been struck by disease
    or migrated away. It has been very hard to assess the variety of
    Neanderthal diets because although animal bones are often preserved in
    caves, easily rotted food like vegetables, fruit and grains rarely remain. But
    the scientists found a way. They measured the ratios of the different types
    (isotopes) of carbon and nitrogen found in Neanderthal bones. ... Plants
    and animals have contrasting isotopic ratios, so when these are eaten they
    leave different signatures in a Neanderthal's bones. And because the bones
    grow slowly, the signature represents a 10 to 20-year average of the
    individual's diet...They "calibrated" the analyses by comparing the
    Neanderthal bone ratios with those from contemporaneous animals at the
    top (bears) and bottom (bison) of the animal food chain. The ratios showed
    that the Neanderthals were top-level predators, getting about 90% of their
    protein from meat... The rest of the protein would have come from nuts
    and grains. ... [This is consistent with the picture of Neandertals lacking
    forward planning, and ekeing out a hunter-gatherer existence.]

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_791000/791385.st BBC ...
    14 June, 2000 ... Giant elk survived the freeze ... The giant Irish Elk
    survived the last ice age - but probably only just. The enormous deer,
    which sported antlers 3.6m wide (10 feet), was thought to have perished
    along with woolly mammoths in the frozen wastes. But new fossil dating
    evidence shows that at least some of the beasts survived to warmer times.
    The revelation raises the possibility that humans, not the climate, may have
    driven the majestic creature into extinction. ... The bone samples were
    found in Britain on the Isle of Man and in southwest Scotland. They were
    only dated, using radiocarbon techniques ... Lister ... was surprised when
    the analysis of two fragments revealed ages of 9,200 and 9,400 years ago.
    ... he pointed out that only 20 radiocarbon dates have ever been obtained
    for giant elks, leaving the possibility that many elks survived the ice age. ...
    The last ice age stretched from 100,000 years ago to 10,000 years ago. ...
    the evidence that they survived the ice age leaves open the possibility that
    human hunters may have finally wiped out the elks. [but] so far, no post-ice
    age evidence of human presence has been found in the area before 7,000
    years ago ...the elks did not drift through the ice age unchanged. In the
    UK, at least, they got smaller, which may be the result of food becoming
    scarce. Intriguingly though, their spectacular antlers remained as huge:
    "You would especially expect the antlers to get smaller as they are so-
    called luxury organs - they should be the first thing to go," .... "But we
    found the exact opposite, that these little animals had got relatively large
    antlers." This suggests that the need for large, "expensive" antlers
    outweighs even the threat of starvation ... [A good example of what Colin
    Patterson probably meant when he called evolution "an anti-theory, a void
    that had the function of knowledge but ... conveyed none." If the antlers
    got smaller, it would no doubt be because the elk no longer "needed" them
    large. But if they stayed large, it was because it still "needed" them large!]

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=pISMeQBe&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/6/8/ecfmil08.html
    Electronic Telegraph 08.06.00 ... Too much too young: the curse of
    Sudden Wealth Syndrome It may be the problem you wish you had, but the
    wired world's wealthy have real difficulties coming to terms with their new-
    found mega-fortunes. Now depressed net millionaires are turning to
    psychologists to find a meaning in their money. ... Silicon Valley THEY
    should be the happiest souls on earth - the young cyber hot shots, who
    have ridden the wave of the internet revolution, are the living proof of the
    modern American dream. After working quite hard for not very long at an
    internet start-up, they have too many millions swishing around in their bank
    accounts... But something has gone awry. Instead of experiencing the
    unadulterated happiness modern success is supposed to bring, these
    cavaliers of modern capitalism are succumbing to a strange new malady of
    the mind. Local psychologists have even given it its own medical
    classification - Sudden Wealth Syndrome. One of the millennium's newest
    maladies results in a deep identity crisis, anxiety, guilt and dysfunction,
    psychologists ... say. They have recently established a clinic for depressed
    millionaires called The Money, Meaning and Choices Institute, which
    operates out of smart offices spread around the San Francisco area at the
    northern tip of Silicon Valley. ... once the initial euphoria of immense
    wealth wears off, they begin to notice that their open-top Porsches are
    stuck in traffic under the baking sun, that they can only sleep in one bed
    even if their house has 40, and that all the cash in the world cannot buy
    calm. ... One 24-year-old internet whizzkid, who sold his dotcom start-up
    for more than $100m, complains that his e-fortune has failed to make him
    happy. "I have the feeling that I have reached my peak. It's all downhill
    from here. I've achieved my dream and now I'm depressed." [A
    commentary on how materialism doesn't satisfy-note the "Meaning"
    component of the course. But the psychologists will no doubt help solve
    their problem of having too much money! :-) ]

    http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/06/02/stellar.collisions/index.html
    CNN ... Astronomers: Star collisions are rampant, catastrophic ... June 2,
    2000 ... NEW YORK (CNN) -- Astronomers once thought stellar
    collisions never or rarely happened. But new research has convinced many
    that stellar mergers are commonplace and perhaps capable of producing the
    most violent and energetic events observable in the universe. ... But in the
    center of many galaxies, including our own, dense swarms of stars make
    such events inevitable ... "Suddenly we're starting to get lots of collisions.
    There's probably one about every ten seconds," ... Super-dense neutron
    stars emit powerful bursts of energy when they crash into one another.
    Some of the conference astronomers speculated that such collisions are
    responsible for intense explosions of gamma rays, observed in the distant
    reaches of space. "They are the most violent energetic events in the
    universe," .... "Some release a thousand times as much energy in a few
    seconds as the sun would in its lifetime." Even black hole mergers "almost
    certainly happen" in some cases when galaxies run into each other, ...
    Current research indicates that stellar collisions are quite common in dense
    star clusters, where millions of stars can be found within a space spanning
    less than 100 light years. But terrestrial dwellers take heart. Such
    catastrophes are infinitesimally rare in cosmic backwaters far removed from
    the centers of galaxies, like a spiral arm of the Milky Way where the sun
    resides. Our neighborhood star will burn out long before another crashes
    into it. ... [More evidence for design and against Directed Panspermia. This
    `parking lot accidents' argument was, strangely enough, noticed by the
    atheist George Greenstein (see tagline) who however rejected design on
    materialist philosophical grounds, despite the evidence.]

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=pIpeNM4e&atmo=6666665J&pg=/et/00/6/1/ecnice01.html
    Electronic Telegraph 01.06.00 ... How life survived when Earth was a
    snowball ... EARLY life was saved from extinction during a big freeze
    millions of years ago by a belt of open water around the equator, according
    to research published last week. Scientists believe the planet froze over
    about 600 million years ago, creating a phenomenon known as Snowball
    Earth, which coincided with the most important period of evolution for
    multi-cell life forms. But if, as is believed, the continents and oceans were
    completely covered by ice sheets, it raised the question of how life
    survived. Prof Richard Peltier ...created computer simulations of the
    climate thought to have been characteristic of that time. They reduced the
    amount of sunlight to account for the fact that the Sun was about six per
    cent less luminous than it is now, and varied the concentration of
    atmospheric carbon dioxide. In most of their experiments, analysis revealed
    a belt of open water near the equator. Prof Peltier told the journal Nature:
    "It is this open water that may have provided a refuge for multicelled
    animals when the rest of the Earth was covered by ice. The extreme climate
    may even have exerted pressure on animals to evolve, possibly leading to
    the rapid development of new forms of animals." ... [More on this
    "snowball Earth loophole. Yet another argument from design - if this
    loophole didn't exist, then presumably we wouldn't be here today? If this
    was 600 mya (and also 750 mya - see
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s63479.htm) then it cannot
    have been a cause of the Cambrian Explosion, since that was ~550 mya.
    Maybe the Designer knew the Proterozoic glaciation was coming?]

    "A parking lot is filled with cars, all in rapid, frantic motion. Their drivers
    are acting without the slightest regard for safety, turning the steering
    wheels this way and that, stepping on the gas and slamming on the brakes,
    and all completely at random. Not only that, but every last one of them is
    blindfolded. There are going to be some dented fenders soon. That is the
    danger facing us. The peaceful scene about me is subject to the most
    deadly danger. How long do we have? But hold on a moment! Don't
    concentrate on the future. Concentrate on the past, on all the thousands,
    even millions of years of history that have led up to this moment. The
    longer one waits, the greater the chance of collision, and if one had
    occurred at any point in the past nothing of what I see would have come
    into being. Had the Sun collided with a passing star in the epoch of the
    ancient Sumerians, none of us would have been born. The same would be
    true had the cataclysm occurred in the time of the dinosaurs. Our existence
    depends not simply on the avoidance of disaster this year or next, but
    throughout all of previous history." (Greenstein G., "The Symbiotic
    Universe: Life and Mind in the Cosmos," William Morrow & Co: New
    York NY, 1988, pp.17-18)