Re: Parsimony

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 10:34:25 EDT

    From: Brian D Harper <bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>

    >At 03:09 PM 6/13/00 +0100, Richard wrote:

    >>So how do you determine which is the "correct" explanation, without
    >>considering parsimony? You can't. For any set of observations, there are
    an
    >>infinite number of theories that could explain them. For example, consider
    >>fitting a curve to a set of data points. There are an infinite number of
    >>different polynomials that will fit, not matter how many data points you
    >>have. But, we would tend to reject higher order polynomials on the grounds
    >>of parsimony. In fact, knowing that there are likely to be random errors
    in
    >>the data, we would probably accept a simple curve which gives an imperfect
    >>fit, in preference to a high order polynomial that gives a perfect fit,
    >>because the latter seems ad hoc.
    >
    >Let me ask a question that I recently encountered in a book by Rene Thom.
    >The question is related to the above, except I want to first divorce it
    from
    >mere curve fitting. IMHO, curve fitting tells you very little about the
    >"correctness" of a model.

    Agreed. That was my point. The curve that fits the data best isn't
    necessarily the best model.

    >I recall one of my professors saying that all data becomes linear
    >if you take enough logarithms :). So, let's suppose we have two different
    >models.
    >Preliminary experiments have been used to determine all free parameters.
    >Now we need some "model verification" experiments. Experiments of a
    >fundamentally
    >different nature than those used to characterize the model. Prediction of
    these
    >experiments with no additional "tweaking" of parameters gives some strong
    >support for the model.

    Yes, predictive success is a major factor in supporting a model. I forgot to
    mention that! Probably because it's not so useful when we're dealing with a
    theory about past events. We can make predictions about what evidence (e.g.
    fossils) will be found in the future, but inevitably prediction plays less
    of a role when we're dealing with historical theories.

    >OK, so we compare the predictions of the two models for the verification
    >experiments. One model does a tremendous job "fitting" the experiment
    >by any quantitative measure, such as square mean error, but does a
    >really lousy job matching the overall "shape" of the data. The other model
    >predicts the shape very well but is way way off quantitatively.

    I'm not sure I understand you. How can a curve which gives you a much
    smaller mean square error be a poorer fit to the shape?

    >What would parsimony have to say in this situation?

    Well now you can compare the two models on the basis of predictive success
    *and* parsimony (simplicity). We would hope that the most parsimonious model
    will have had the most predictive success, in which case the choice is easy.
    Otherwise, we have to make a judgment about the relative weight of the two
    criteria.

    There have been some significant developments recently in this area of
    statistics, but I'm afraid I'm not up-to-date (I studied statistics over 20
    years ago). For more info, try taking a look at:

    http://philosophy.wisc.edu/forster/220/simplicity.html and
    http://philosophy.wisc.edu/simplicity/

    Richard Wein (Tich)