Re: God in their equations?

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 18:02:12 EDT

    Reflectorites

    Check out this New Scientist article which pours cold water on the
    Anthropic Principle, and the idea that multiple universes would have
    different laws of physics, because if string theory is true, they are hardwired
    in!

    I apologise that I haven't got the time to summarise it.

    I like this bit:

    But if Steinhardt wins the bet, the consequences may be uncomfortable.
    The theorists hope that string theory will be mathematically inevitable-the
    only logically consistent theory of the Universe. But if so, and if string
    theory pins down every physical constant, then the fine-tuning for life will
    turn out to be hard-wired into mathematics. "In that case, string theory will
    be a great argument for design," says Tegmark. He is reminded of Carl
    Sagan's novel, Contact, in which mathematicians calculate to billions of
    decimal places and suddenly find the digits getting non-random. "It turns
    out there is a message written in a fundamental constant of mathematics-a
    message from the Creator," says Tegmark. Likewise, if the mathematics
    makes life inevitable, people might start using string theory as an argument
    for the existence of God. String theorists believe they are following a path
    to an ultimate rational theory that is a cut above the anthropic alternative.
    They might be upset, to say the least, to find God in their equations.

    http://archive.newscientist.com/archive.jsp?id=22424600

    New Scientist

    Out in the cold 10 Jun 00

    The cosmos doesn't need us any more. Marcus Chown finds a growing
    chorus of dissent against the anthropic principle

    THE UNIVERSE is the way it is because if it weren't we wouldn't be here
    to see it. Profound insight or empty truism? This is the "anthropic
    principle", and in the past few years it has been embraced by many
    cosmologists to explain some of the most mystifying features of the
    Universe. But it leaves other scientists feeling deeply troubled.

    One of them is cosmologist Paul Steinhardt of Princeton University in New
    Jersey, who claims that the anthropic principle is sloppy and unscientific.
    "It's corrupting science," he says. His view is shared by physicist Gordon
    Kane of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, who believes that string
    theory will make the anthropic principle redundant. The pro- and anti-
    anthropic camps are debating just about the most profound question there
    is: why are we here? But the final answer might not please either side.

    What makes the debate more difficult is that a precise definition of the
    anthropic principle is hard to come by. Roughly speaking, it asserts that our
    existence restricts the possible values of any physical constants, because
    simply to be observed, the Universe must allow life to exist. If we assume
    that life anywhere in the Universe must be broadly like that on Earth, for
    example, the Universe must allow stars to form. And the Universe must be
    old enough for those stars to have created plenty of heavy elements-the
    building blocks of biological molecules-in order to allow life to evolve.

    Arguably, British astronomer Fred Hoyle was the first to evoke the
    anthropic principle. In 1952, he used the fact that carbon exists to predict
    that carbon-12 had an "excited" energy state unknown at the time. If the
    state did not exist, Hoyle reasoned, nuclear reactions inside stars could not
    assemble carbon and all heavier elements from lighter nuclei, and so
    carbon-based life such as ours would not exist.

    The principle has gained popularity because of the apparent fine-tuning of
    physics. For example, if the strong nuclear force were just a few per cent
    stronger, the Sun would burn all its hydrogen fuel in less than a second-not
    long for intelligent life to evolve. "Many instances have been found in
    which if a certain fundamental force were slightly weaker or stronger, or if
    a certain fundamental particle were slightly lighter or heavier, there would
    be no galaxies or stars or planets, and hence no human beings," says Max
    Tegmark of the University of Pennsylvania. Martin Rees of the University
    of Cambridge agrees: "I think the fine-tuning `coincidences' need some
    kind of explanation."

    "Either God fine-tuned the Universe for us to be here," says Tegmark, "or
    there are many universes, each with different values of the fundamental
    constants, and not surprisingly we find ourselves in one in which the
    constants have the right values to permit galaxies, stars and life."

    Some have dubbed this the "multiverse". Inflation, one theory that aims to
    describe the first split second of existence after the big bang, hints that the
    observable Universe may simply be one bubble among an infinity of others
    in a vast ocean of space. Conceivably, the other universes might be distant
    patches of space where the fundamental constants are different.

    Tegmark believes that the anthropic principle is becoming more widely
    accepted. "Two years ago, at a conference at Fermilab there was an audible
    hiss when someone mentioned the A-word," he says. "But a couple of
    months ago at another conference in Santa Monica, Steven Weinberg
    argued that the anthropic principle may be the best explanation for the
    cosmological constant."

    The cosmological constant, which is a measure of the curious repulsive
    force exerted by empty space, is an embarrassing 10123 times smaller than
    that predicted by quantum theory. Weinberg explains this by assuming that
    the constant takes on all possible values in all possible universes. Most
    universes would accelerate madly (where the constant is large) or make
    nothing but black holes (where it is large and negative). Only in a few freak
    universes where the constant is tiny would galaxies, stars and planets arise.

    So why does Steinhardt so vehemently oppose the anthropic principle? "I
    have several reasons," he says. "First, the anthropic principle is not testable,
    which means it is not science."

    According to Steinhardt, a statement has scientific meaning only if it can be
    tested by an experiment or observation. He maintains that there is no such
    test for the anthropic principle. "This makes it entirely different from, say,
    Newton's general principle that the laws of physics are deterministic," he
    says. "This was tested and found to be false in the realm of the atom."

    Tegmark, however, argues that the anthropic principle is no more
    sophisticated or controversial than the principles of logic that underpin a
    statement like 1 + 1 = 2. "If I have two competing theories, the anthropic
    principle merely selects the theory which gives the greatest likelihood of
    seeing what I see, given that I am here," he says. "The anthropic principle
    is no more than an application of probability theory. Unfortunately, the
    word `principle' suggests there is something deep about it. In fact, there's
    nothing to test."

    But Steinhardt has a more telling criticism. One of the characteristics of
    science, he says, is that you begin with a little and get out a lot. It's an
    efficient way of gaining knowledge. "What does the anthropic argument
    get you? I'm not sure there's enough to fill the back of a postage stamp."

    Take the cosmological constant. The anthropic principle seems to provide a
    rational explanation for why this constant has the value it has-but does that
    really tell us anything? Isn't it just a way of feeling comfortable with the
    way the Universe is? Contrast this with Newton's law of universal
    gravitation. Newton developed his theory to explain the orbits of the
    planets in our Solar System, but it has many other observable
    consequences-it predicts the existence of lunar tides and the movements of
    comets, moons, asteroids and other stars.

    So is the anthropic principle a useless but essentially harmless idea?
    Steinhardt thinks it's worse than that. He says it "dulls sharp problems with
    an air of explanation"- it stops people from struggling to find really
    fundamental solutions. He sees its increasing popularity as partly due to
    impatience. "People want to know all the answers right now, but we have
    to accept that this is not possible," he says. "I'd rather say `I don't know'."

    Another serious objection to the anthropic principle is that "there are no
    rules of the game", says Steinhardt. He points out that there is no
    justification for the belief that physical constants vary from one universe to
    another. The problem, he says, is that there is no underlying "metatheory"
    which predicts how they vary.

    We know that some parameters, such as the distance between the Earth
    and the Sun, can vary. Before Newton, there had been high hopes that this
    distance would turn out to be a fundamental constant, perhaps fixed by the
    geometry of cubes and other solid figures. However, Newtonian dynamics
    allowed a whole continuum of Sun-Earth distances. This is a little like the
    sort of metatheory that Steinhardt is talking about. For life to exist on
    Earth, the Earth must be neither too cold nor too hot-so we shouldn't be
    surprised that the Earth-Sun distance is just right for water to flow on the
    Earth's surface.

    But even this application of the principle is flawed. "Even now we cannot
    say how common planets are, or whether planets need to be like ours to
    foster life," says Steinhardt. For instance, if silicon-based machines could
    evolve, they might find themselves on a planet closer than Mercury is to the
    Sun. If it turned out that life could exist in a huge range of physical
    environments, we would find ourselves in the special position of being
    cool, watery, carbon-based observers. The anthropic principle would lose
    its power.

    But in the case of the cosmological constant, says Steinhardt, there isn't
    even a theory predicting that it can take on a range of values. He maintains
    that such a theory, like Newtonian dynamics, would be bound to have other
    consequences-perhaps in the microscopic world-which could be measured.
    "If there's a breakthrough and the anthropic people can come up with an
    abundantly predictive, testable metatheory, I would be happy to accept it."

    Rees believes that such a metatheory could come from Andrei Linde's idea
    of eternal inflation. In that model, space spontaneously "inflates" to give
    birth to new universes, which give birth to yet more universes, and so on,
    ad infinitum. "There are two key questions for 21st-century
    physics/cosmology," he says. "When we understand the physics of the
    inflationary era, will it indeed predict multiple big bangs, as in the
    simulations of Linde and his colleagues? And do the underlying physical
    laws allow the different big bangs to end up governed by different low-
    energy physics?" According to Rees, if the answer to both these questions
    is "yes", then anthropic selection would explain the apparent fine-tuning in
    our Universe.

    Tegmark would like to see this fine-tuning quantified. He believes that
    scientists have not performed such calculations because of
    "anthropophobia"-the principle makes them uneasy. The build-up of heavy
    elements inside stars, for example, depends on the electromagnetic and
    strong coupling constants, which determine the strengths of the
    electromagnetic and strong nuclear forces. "If someone calculated the
    detailed consequences for stars of varying these parameters, we could find
    out how small is the island in parameter space we live on," he says. That
    would tell us just how finely tuned the Universe is. Rees adds that if we
    found ourselves living on a highly improbable part of this island, that would
    invalidate the anthropic principle.

    Useless speculation

    All this may be useless speculation, however, because there are reasons to
    believe the constants can't vary. "I would say the examples of fine-tuning
    people have found aren't really there," says Steinhardt. He cites Grand
    Unified Theories (GUTs), which attempt to unify the three non-
    gravitational forces of nature. In GUTs, the strengths of the
    electromagnetic and strong nuclear forces are intimately linked. "If you
    vary one, the other changes too," says Steinhardt. So the argument that all
    the constants must be individually fine-tuned begins to look shaky. Kane
    agrees: "It's simply not so that increasing the strong force or decreasing the
    electromagnetic force affects how the Sun works," he says. "Most of the
    old arguments are just misleading numerology."

    Kane believes that string theory provides even more powerful arguments
    against fine-tuning. In string theory, the fundamental entities of reality are
    tiny strings vibrating in 9-dimensional space, and all the constants of nature
    depend on a single fundamental parameter. "So if the theory is right there
    will be no room to vary any of the constants the anthropic people like to
    vary," says Kane. He and his colleagues, Malcolm Perry and Anna Zytkow
    of the University of Cambridge, have just written a paper outlining this
    argument, titled "The beginning of the end of the anthropic principle".

    But string theory does allow the vacuum to adopt a range of different
    states in different universes, which should, for example, have different
    cosmological constants. "In a sense, the ensemble of universes is replaced
    by something with a better theoretical basis, the many vacua of string
    theory," admits Kane. "Different vacua will lead to different universes, and
    only some will be right for life to emerge."

    So have string theorists, in rejecting the anthropic principle for a final
    theory, let it in by the back door? Is string theory the metatheory that
    Steinhardt is looking for? "Sure, superstring may some day prove to be a
    metatheory with lots of predictive power," says Steinhardt. "But I don't
    think Newton's theory or string theory include the anthropic principle-I
    think they replace it."

    Kane is also dubious. "Until the vacuum structure of string theory is
    understood better, it looks a lot like the multiple universes, but not the
    same," he says. That's because the various regions might be causally
    connected, affecting each other's states.

    For his part, Tegmark is sceptical of string theory. "It is emerging as the
    modern version of the emperor with no clothes," he says. "So far, it has
    predicted the value of none of the physical constants, and I'm willing to bet
    that numbers like the electromagnetic coupling constant will never be
    derivable from pure math." "Is he serious?" responds Steinhardt. "Where
    can we line up to take that bet?"

[...]

    Further reading:

    : Just Six Numbers by Martin Rees (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1999)
    The Anthropic Cosmological Principle by John Barrow and Frank Tipler
    (Oxford University Press, 1988)

    Marcus Chown

    From New Scientist magazine, vol 166 issue 2242, 10/06/2000, page 32

    (c) Copyright New Scientist, RBI Ltd 2000

    "I have quoted some voices of dissent coming from biologists in eminent
    academic positions. There have been many others, just as critical of the
    orthodox doctrine, though not always as outspoken - and their number is
    steadily growing. Although these criticisms have made numerous breaches
    in the walls, the citadel still stands - mainly, as said before, because nobody
    has a satisfactory alternative to offer. The history of science shows that a
    well-established theory can take a lot of battering and get itself into a
    tangle of contradictions - the fourth phase of 'Crisis and Doubt' in the
    historic cycle and yet still be upheld by the establishment until a
    breakthrough occurs, initiating a new departure, and the start of a new
    cycle. But that event is not yet in sight. In the meantime, the educated
    public continues to believe that Darwin has provided all the relevant
    answers by the magic formula of random mutation plus natural selection -
    quite unaware of the fact that random mutations turned out to be irrelevant
    and natural selection a tautology." (Koestler A., "Janus: A Summing Up",
    Picador: London, 1983, pp.184-185)