Re: macroevolution or macromutations? (was ID)

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 15:47:17 EDT

    Hello Cliff,

    I've read your web pages (fairly quickly). I found them well written, but I
    didn't find your theory at all convincing.

    The single biggest problem is that you describe evolution through merging of
    organisms entirely at the level of the phenotype. But, at some point, the
    structure of the composite organism must have have become encoded in the
    genotype. Without some hypothesis for how this might have happened, there's
    a gaping whole at the centre of your theory.

    In the absence of such a hypothesis, why should I believe that this process
    is any more plausible than the conventional view that additional segments
    were created by mutations? You dismissed this view in the following terms:

    "Those who strive to explain elaborative evolution sometimes claim that
    number of segments in a train such as the vertebral column can be increased
    simply by a mutation that inserts complete segments into the series. Richard
    Dawkins suggests that such additions may be accomplished "easily", through
    "a simple process of duplication" (Dawkins 1986). I argue that such a
    mutation would be like parabiosis, but with the additional attached body
    accidentally reduced to the form of one perfect segment and accidentally
    positioned perfectly within a series of segments; this seems virtually
    impossible."

    You seem to be attacking a straw man here. Dawkins is not suggesting that
    the DNA code for the whole body is duplicated and then reduced. He's
    suggesting that the code for a single segment is duplicated. Indeed, even
    this may not be necessary. It's probable (but I'm not sure) that the code is
    not repeated for identical or near-identical segments, but that that such
    segments are coded once, with some gene controlling the number of times that
    the code is expressed. If that's the case, then only a mutation in the
    control gene is required.

    Such extension by duplication would have been all the easier in the simpler
    organisms of the pre-Cambrian period, where you claim that all the new
    skeletal segments evolved.

    I must also say that I found your argument regarding the zebra's stripes
    utterly unconvincing. Many different camouflage patterns can be found on
    animals--stripes, spots and patches of many shapes and sizes. The fact that
    a small number of animals have striped patterns bearing a crude (extremely
    crude) resemblance to their skeletal structure strikes me as nothing more
    than a coincidence.

    I also notice you have a tendency to explain away any contrary evidence in
    the fossil record by ad hoc propositions of unknown types of organism. For
    example:

    "I suggest that many-segmented ancestors of snakes did exist in the
    Paleozoic Era but that we happen to lack fossil evidence of them, and that
    the pattern of reduction in number of segments does generally hold in
    vertebrate lineages after the formation of the protovertebrate. Snakes are
    unlikely to be fossilized, as they are adapted to move in mud, which can
    mire and entomb tetrapods or fishes."

    I don't rule out parts of your theory as theoretical possibilities. But
    given its highly speculative and vague nature, I see no reason to overthrow
    the much more well-considered (and plausible IMO) conventional view. (And
    that's before we even start on the evolution of organs, for which you don't
    have even an outline of a scenario.)

    Richard Wein (Tich)