Re: The Wedge of Truth : Splitting the Foundations of Naturalism by Phillip E. Johnson

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 09:05:31 EDT

    Reflectorites

    Here is an Amazon.com listing on Phil Johnson's latest book, "The Wedge
    of Truth," which is due out in July.

    The review of the book states:

            "More important, while we may learn a great deal from science, it
            does not offer us unlimited knowledge. In fact, most scientists
            readily acknowledge that it cannot deal with ultimate purposes and
            meaning in life. So to what authority will we turn for these?

            The deficiencies in science and naturalism call for a cognitive
            revolution, a fundamental change in our worldview and thinking
            habits. And it all begins with a wedge of truth.

            The wedge of truth does not abandon a foundation of rational
            thought but acknowledges that reason encompasses more than
            science can provide. Johnson wants to put back on the table for
            public debate issues that have often been ruled out of court. In
            splitting the foundations of naturalism, Johnson analyzes the latest
            debates about science and evolution. He incisively pinpoints
            philosophical assumptions and counters the objections to intelligent
            design raised by its most recent critics."

    With the increasingly high profile that Johnson has gained in the 9 years
    since "Darwin on Trial", this book will probably be *very* influential. Its
    Amazon.com sales rank is already 7,997, which is quite high, considering it
    is not even out yet.

    When the book comes out and if it sells well, the scientific materialists will
    face an agonising dilemma. If they ignore the book it will look like they
    cannot answer it. But if they review it in a "hatchet job" manner (as
    happened with Darwin on Trial), they will provoke a flood of letters to the
    editor from Johnson's many supporters and provole counter articles in the
    media and on the Web which will only publicise the book further.

    Their best bet probably is to review it as briefly and as low-key as possible
    and hope that most of their readers won't notice. But the problem then
    would be that a weak review would be unacceptable to the more hard-core
    scientific materialists among their readers, and they would get floods of
    letters to the editor anyway!

    I am glad it is their problem, and not mine! :-)

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0830822674/qid%3D96
    0450213/002-4963721-2037630

    The Wedge of Truth : Splitting the Foundations of Naturalism by Phillip E.
    Johnson

    [...]

    Price information not available. You can still order this item, and we will
    request approval of the price via e-mail prior to shipment.

    See larger photo

    Hardcover (July 2000) ISBN: 0830822674 This item will be published in
    July 2000. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.
    Amazon.com Sales Rank: 7,997

    Editorial Reviews

    Dallas Willard, author of The Divine Conspiracy As you read this book,
    look to the evidence and breathe the fresh intellectual air that nourishes
    genuinely opened minds.

    Book Description Science is the supreme authority in society. If there is a
    dispute, science arbitrates it. If a law is to be passed, science must ratify it.
    If truth is to be taught, science must approve it. And when science is
    ignored, storms of protest are heard in the media, the university and local
    coffee shops.

    Yet a society ruled by science (and the naturalistic philosophy that
    undergirds much of it) faces major problems. Science speaks so
    authoritatively in our culture that many are tempted to use its clout to back
    claims that go beyond the available evidence. How can we spot when such
    ideological sleight of hand has taken place?

[...]

    In the end, Johnson prophetically concludes that the walls of naturalism
    will fall and that the Christian gospel must play a vital role in building a
    new foundation for thinking--not just about science and religion but about
    everything that gives human life hope and meaning.

    This is a book for anyone who thinks these foundational questions are
    important and who would like to be an informed participant in the ensuing
    public debate.

    About the Author

    About the Author Phillip E. Johnson graduated from Harvard University
    and the University of Chicago Law School. He was a law clerk for Chief
    Justice Earl Warren of the United States Supreme Court and has taught
    law for more than thirty years at the University of California, Berkeley. His
    previous books include Darwin on Trial, Reason in the Balance, Defeating
    Darwinism by Opening Minds and Objections Sustained.

    [...]

    Legal Notices (c) 1996-2000, Amazon.com, Inc.

    "Some contemporary biologists, as soon as they observe a mutation, talk
    about evolution. They are implicitly supporting the following syllogism:
    mutations are the only evolutionary variations, all living beings undergo
    mutations, therefore all living beings evolve. This logical scheme is,
    however, unacceptable: first, because its major premise is neither obvious
    nor general; second, because its conclusion does not agree with the facts.
    No matter how numerous they may be, mutations do not produce any kind
    of evolution." (Grasse P.-P., "Evolution of Living Organisms: Evidence for
    a New Theory of Transformation," [1973], Academic Press: New York
    NY, 1977, p.88)