Re: ID theory vs. Science

From: Keith Littleton (littlejo@vnet.net)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 02:50:57 EDT

    Re: ID theory vs. Science
    On Sat Jun 03 2000 - 00:24:27 EDT,
    Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com) wrote:

    ... text deleted ...

    >>Having said that, there is no reason why ID should
    >>not be taught in public schools. ID is a scientific
    >>position not a religion. It has as much right to be
    >>taught in public schools as materialistic-naturalism
    >>which is now taught in public schools.

    >Chris
    >If it's a *scientific* theory, then there must be
    >testable empirical implications. Name *ONE.*

    >Further, if it's a scientific theory that's supposed
    >to be superior to NET (Naturalistic Evolutionary Theory),
    >then there must be at least one empirical implication
    >that can be tested and that is not implied by NET.

    ... text deleted ...

    Being a geologist, I feel very left out by how intelligent
    deisgn is being discussed in this forum. Fossils and
    evolution are fine, but how does intelligent design (ID)
    relate to aspects of the Earth Sciences besides
    paleontology? Is ID limited only to evolution or can
    it be applied to providing superior explantions to the
    "materialistic-naturalism" methodologies used in
    sedimentology, organic geochemistry, igneous and
    metamorphic petrology, plate tectonics, and so forth?

    Can the supporters of ID show me how it explains Bowens
    reaction series, characteristics of the modern
    Mississippi's birdfoot delta, Pennsylvanian cyclothems,
    and other geologic observations better than the conventional
    "materialistic-naturalism" that geologists now use?

    As an independent explorationist, the supporters of ID
    can win me over instantly, if they can show how I can use
    ID theory to find oil quicker and cheaper than conventional
    "materialistic-naturalism" can now do. In fact, if they
    can demonstrate that application for ID, the Discovery
    Institute and their fellow travelers would be innudated
    with research money from the big oil companies who care
    more about acheiving results than ideology when it comes
    finding oil.

    It seems like ID is an extremely limited concept given
    that, except for some astrophysics, it apparently is
    largely, if not completely limited, to the discussion of
    evolution.

    Of course, I could propose an "environmentalist" version
    of ID in which the creation of vast accumulations of
    hydrocarbons was part of an intelligent design to sequester
    carbon dioxide in the Earth's Crust and terraform the
    Earth into a habitable planet. Tree-huggers would love
    this explanation, because it make the exploration,
    development, and production of hydrocarbons quite contrary
    to God's will and blasphemous. Of course, as a geologist
    in the oil business, I could argue that the formation of
    huge hydrocarbon deposits was part of an intelligent design
    to create large quanties of readily accessiable and useable
    enegry available for mankind to create a technological
    society. In that case, I the person doing God's will
    and the environmentalists are the unpardonable and
    unspeakable sinners.

    ID can be fun. :-) Using it person can easily justfy
    anything he or she wants for fun and profit.

    Yours,

    Keith Littleton
    littlejo@vnet.net
    New Orleans, LA

    "Another set of fool professors. Just intellectuals,
    and you know what an intellectual is, don't you?
    Someone educated beyond his intelligence."

    -- Representative Henry Hyde speaking to the
    U.S. Senate about evidence to be submitted
    for Clinton's defense.