Definition of Darwinism

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 18:21:34 EDT

    http://www.edge.org/documents/ThirdCulture/d-Contents.html

    I've been reading The Third Culture cited by Tedd, in which Margulis said she
    was a Darwinist, but argued against Neo Darwinism. Thought maybe I'd find
    definitions of the terms. The "evolutionists" present a wide spectrum of
    "facts" they each insist laymen accept as scientific truth. Most of all I am
    enjoyng what some of the evolutionists say about each other.

    Lynn Margulis: Richard Dawkins epitomizes my comments about how
    scientists rationalize. In his televised response to the Gaia
    hypothesis, he said, and I quote: "The idea [of Gaia] is not dangerous
    or distressing except to academic scientists who value the truth." That
    quote captures the arrogance of Dawkins. I invited him to come and
    discuss Gaia ideas with Lovelock and me, and he declined even a
    telephone conversation. I would have happily arranged such a trip and a
    meaningful idea-tournament with Jim, as Dawkins knew. He prefers to take
    potshots instead of actually discussing the details of Gaia. When he
    says Gaia is "dangerous and distressing to scientists who value the
    truth," he's talking about himself. Gaia is dangerous and distressing to
    him because, unlike the rest of us, he values the truth. The inference
    of his statement simply exposes his solipsism.
    Margulis

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan