Re: Miscellaneous (was Scientists Complete Map...; Intelligent Design 2/3; this is interesting)

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 12:16:31 EDT

    "Stephen E. Jones" writes
      in message <200005181359.VAA15679@gothic.iinet.net.au>:
    > Reflectorites

     <snip>
    > Dembski is trying to establish scientifically what all human beings
    > intuitively recognise. Whether he is able to do this remains to be seen.
    > Personally I doubt that it will be possible to absolutely *prove* design.
    >
    > In everyday life people make their decisions (and even civil
    > law cases are decided) `on the balance of probabilities'. It
    > would therefore be sufficient for the Designer to only supply
    > sufficient evidence that `on the balance of probabilities' there
    > is a Designer.
    >
    > That way no one will be *forced* to believe in a Designer, which
    > is important from Christian theology's point of view that only
    > willing volunteers (not unwilling conscripts) are wanted in
    > Christ's `army'.

       I find this quite incoherent. If I determine that the balance
       of probabilities in favor of a conclusion is 50.00001%, then I
       would be completely irrational to favor it's converse.

       In fact, those who do not believe in ID, also argue quite strongly
       that the balance of probabilities do *not* support ID and I
       agree.

       Therefore, your worldview can only make sense with this premise:

       Those who don't believe in design actually do believe in design
       but refuse to admit it.