Re: Intelligent Design 2/3

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 08:51:38 EDT

    Piggybacking...

    >On Mon, 08 May 2000 16:05:35 -0500, Susan Brassfield wrote:
    >
    >[...continued]
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >>SJ>I have no argument with the latter. But ID, being a more general theory
    or
    >>>paradigm is no more "vague" than its opposite: anti-ID.
    >
    >SB>there is no "anti-ID" Science is unable to address ID. It's religion.

    I must disgree with you here, Susan. Science is not *in principle* unable to
    address ID. Suppose we discovered, encoded in our DNA, a complex message of
    the sort received by SETI in the book/film "Contact". I would consider that
    to be compelling scientific evidence of ID.

    Nevertheless, I consider the present ID movement to be religiously-motivated
    (in most cases) pseudo-science, because its proponents
    falsely claim to have found evidence of ID in nature when they haven't,
    and give their claims the trappings (but not the substance) of science.

    I also think it's extremely unlikely that they will find such evidence in
    the future, not just because I don't believe that nature is designed, but
    because, even if it is, it's clear that the designer has been extremely
    careful to avoid leaving behind any evidence. I suppose it's conceivable
    that the designer acted in such a way as to ensure we wouldn't detect his
    involvement until we reached a certain level of scientific advancement. But
    why should we think that we've reached that level now?

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason. I have
    never used any other, and I trust I never shall." -- Thomas Paine, "Age of
    Reason"