Re: Intelligent Design

From: Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 18:56:47 EDT

    At 04:29 PM 05/12/2000 -0400, Bertvan@aol.com wrote:

    >Steve C:
    > >And they will continue to defend random mutation and natural selection
    > >until a better mechanistic paradigm comes along. ID doesn't provide a
    > >mechanistic explanation and does not represent such a paradigm shift. ID
    > >and evolution really deal with different matters and that is why ID hasn't
    > >been readily embraced by science. It simply does not explain how different
    > >species came about. It only says that it was purposful.
    >
    >Hi Steve,
    >I don't find much with which to disagree in your post. I see most of your
    >points. I know no reason for science to embrace ID. I am offended by
    >efforts, a la Eugene Scott, to "stamp it out".

    Conversely I see her efforts as an attempt to prevent a redefinition of
    science that would allow things not properly belonging to science in the
    door. A relevant example here is alternative medicine. Alt med folks make
    very similar complaints about medical science that you make about science
    in general. Chief among them is the complaint that science is trying to
    "stamp it out". I have been researching several areas of alt med for an
    ethics paper I am writing and am shocked by their attempts to provide a
    scholarly patina to some things are just silly. Frankly, both alt med and
    ID strike me as post-modern attempts to redefine science, much like
    post-modernists have done with art. For instance, they say that art is
    what you want it to be--but this simply means that there is no such thing
    as art because one cannot say what is not art. Similarly, if we allow such
    broad definitions of science, then there is effectively no such thing as
    science. Anything can be called scientific simply because someone wishes
    it to be so.

    Frankly, my debate here with you represents my attempt to stamp out such
    post-modern assaults on science that are coming from the ID crowd. So I am
    fully sympathetic with Eugenie.

    >I do have some questions:
    >
    >1. Why should scientists "defend" random mutation and natural selection until
    >a better mechanistic paradigm comes along?

    As Kuhn so ably pointed out, paradigms are difficult to usurp, even if data
    contrary to the prevailing paradigm exist. This fact of science is nicely
    documented in the stories of two Nobel prize winners, Howard Temin and
    Barbara McLintock. In the early days of their research, both accumulated
    data that were contrary to certain prevailing paradigms. They were not
    believed even though the data really could not be understood in any way
    other than the way that they interpreted them. It took much more
    confirmatory evidence from independent sources before they were
    believed. Thus, scientists defended the prevailing paradigms in the face
    of contrary evidence until science was collectively convinced. This is the
    conservative nature of science that I wrote about recently on this
    reflector. This is simply intrinsic to the human enterprise of
    science. Right or wrong, it just is. Another important fact about
    paradigms, is that even in the face of evidence that they are wrong, they
    remain entrenched until a competing paradigm that better explains the
    observations comes along. Thus, despite the complaints that data
    supporting evolution are lacking, the paradigm remains because ID is not
    sufficient to overturn it. This is because evolution is a mechanistic
    paradigm and ID is not. They really address different questions so it
    makes sense that they are seen as exclusive paradigms.

    >2. Do you consider Gaia a mechanistic explanation? Phenomena that might be
    >considered random in isolation appear purposeful considered by the Gaia
    >concept? In this case wouldn't "purpose" be an essential part of the
    >explanation? Do you consider such concepts outside science?

    Gaia might be a mechanistic explanation for something. But I fail to
    understand your question. What concepts do you refer to?

    Steve