Re: Eugenie Scott's latest

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 19:41:55 EDT

    From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>

    >Heads up on this piece by Eugenie Scott in the latest Science (on the web
    >at http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/288/5467/813).
    >
    >It's a reasonable piece from the point of view of an evolutionary
    >creationist (theistic evolutionist). There seems to be some lack of
    >recognition that some scientist use evolutionary theory to propogate their
    >philosophical/religious commitments. But I agree with her for the most part
    >that most scientists are evolutionists because of the evidence and not
    >because of philosophical/religous pre-commitments.

    Terry, I wonder why you think she *should* comment on the fact that some
    scientists use evolutionary theory to support their philosophical/religious
    views. (I've changed the words "propagate" and "commitments" as those
    seem a little loaded.) Is it relevant to the topic of her article?

    There seems to be an implication (or am I being oversensitive?) that you
    think it's improper for scientists to do this. But I can't see why.
    Scientists are as entitled as anyone else to express their philosophical
    views, and, if they think that evolutionary theory supports their views, why
    shouldn't they say so? It's also common (perhaps *more* common) for
    physicists to use physical theories to support *their* philosophical views.

    Richard Wein.