Re: Eugenie Scott's latest

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 12:50:58 EDT

    Huxter4441@aol.com wrote:

    ><< There seems to be some lack of
    >recognition that some scientist use evolutionary theory to propogate their
    >philosophical/religious commitments. >>
    >

    >Such as? Do they do this in the name of science? or do they do this when
    >expressing opinions?

    and

    Richard Wein wrote:
    >Terry, I wonder why you think she *should* comment on the fact that some
    >scientists use evolutionary theory to support their philosophical/religious
    >views. (I've changed the words "propagate" and "commitments" as those
    >seem a little loaded.) Is it relevant to the topic of her article?
    >
    >There seems to be an implication (or am I being oversensitive?) that you
    >think it's improper for scientists to do this. But I can't see why.
    >Scientists are as entitled as anyone else to express their philosophical
    >views, and, if they think that evolutionary theory supports their views, why
    >shouldn't they say so? It's also common (perhaps *more* common) for
    >physicists to use physical theories to support *their* philosophical views.
    >
    >Richard Wein.

    I have no problem with scientists expressing their philosophical/religious
    views. In fact, given my belief that "life is religion" they can't help it.
    However, let's not erect a double standard here. Here's an example. Random
    events (random in the sense that they are described by statistical laws)
    are behind many physical, chemical, and biological phenomena discussed in
    evolutionary theory. I have no problem accepting that--to me that is part
    of the scientific description of this process.

    But does that mean that there is no God or controlling agent behind those
    random events? Some say no and conclude that there is no direction to
    evolution, there is no goal, there is no purpose--not just in a physical,
    chemical, and biological sense, but also in a philosophical and relgious
    sense. They not only do this in their popular books and articles but in
    their scientific pronouncements. But I say yes--that God governs these
    random events (Proverbs 16:33--"the lot is cast but its every decision is
    from the Lord") and that even though the phenomena observed follows
    statistical laws that God is still behind them, governing them, sustaining
    them, causing them. Of course, this knowledge of God's governance does not
    come from the phenomena itself--it is revealed to us from outside the
    phenomena or above the phenomena. Now do you think Eugenie Scott would
    think it appropriate for me to say this in my science classroom or in a
    scientific book or article (even as religious belief or personal
    opinion--notice how easy it is for religion to be labeled personal opinion,
    but not science)?

    It seems to be okay to espouse atheism in the midst of one's science, but
    it doesn't seem to be okay to espouse theism.

    Here's a question to test our thinking here:

    When Carl Sagan said "The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will
    be", was he making a scientific statement or a philosophical/religious
    statement? Was he a scientist expressing his religious opinion? Is *Cosmos*
    (the book or the film series) science or is it a mixture of religion and
    science?

    Finally, in general, I think it's philosophically naive to say that one can
    do science without at the same time doing philosophy and/or religion. Thus,
    our attempts at calling this or that science and this or that religion are
    doomed to failure. Personally, I think the reason that young earth
    creationism (YEC) and even ID creationism is so wrong has nothing to do
    with the importing of religion/creationism into science. It's that it's bad
    science! As Eugenie pointed out, most "creationism" is "anti-evolutionism".
    If this is true, then the claims of the YEC or IDC can be weighed in the
    balance of science. For example, I think that the claims of the failure of
    radiometric dating are soundly refuted scientifically. I also think that
    the claims of the failure of evolutionary mechanisms to explain irreducible
    complexity are also soundly refuted scientifically.

    The problem is that both sides use propoganda and appeal to popular
    audiences and even political processes to wield their influence. So science
    becomes a majority opinion based on who has the best propoganda machine. In
    general I think that the YEC is more guilty of this than IDC or of
    mainstream science, IDCers are now doing it and it seems that Eugenie's
    piece is a call for scientists to start doing it. This is a sad state of
    affairs. Unfortunately, it is somewhat unavoidable. Education to a large
    degree is propogandizing. What's in the textbooks is what is the majority
    opinion among scientists and is second, third, or even fourth hand
    information to the readers. It might even be second and third hand
    information to the authors themselves.

    I am an evolutionist who runs in fundamentalist circles. This past year I
    have been teaching high school chemistry from a creationist textbook in a
    Christian school. Most of the material is indifferent to the philosophical
    perspective of the text. The discussion of radiometric dating is okay but
    includes the typical YEC warning that there are so many assumptions built
    into dating that you can't trust the dates if they extrapolate to beyond
    dates that can be reasonably confirmed by other methods. But the text does
    acknowledge the billion year range half-life of uranium isotopes. In these
    Christian school circles, YEC is as integrated into the culture/education
    as evolutionary ideas are integrated into public schools. It's amazing!

    Well, I think I have gone to rambling so I better stop now. Richard, I
    think some of my answer here gets to your question of a few weeks ago. If
    you don't mind, why don't you re-phrase the question in light of this post
    and I will try to answer it in a timely fashion.

    TG
    Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
    grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/
    phone: 970-491-7003 fax: 970-491-1801