Re: Intelligent Design

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 09:06:24 EDT

    From: Brian D Harper <bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>

    [...]

    >OK, this might be a place to clarify our differences. Would you say that
    this
    >provides any evidence for the non existence of a god or gods?

    I couldn't work out what your "this" refers to, so I'll read it as
    "anything".

    Strictly speaking, we can only say that gods are poor explanations of the
    facts currently available to us, and therefore there is no rational basis
    for accepting the existence of gods.

    However, more loosely, I consider the absence of evidence for
    gods to be evidence of absence, because I find it hard to believe that
    something as significant as a god would leave no evidence.

    In any case, in a sense, it doesn't really matter whether gods exist; what
    matters is whether they have any effect on anything. I take the view that if
    something looks like a duck (a godless universe) and quacks like a duck, I
    should treat it as if it is a duck.

    [...]

    >Thanks for the challenging questions. It was fun thinking, hope I
    >won't have to do it too often :).

    Thanks to you too. If you're up for another question, I'd like to know what
    role you think God played in evolution. Did he just set up the initial
    conditions and then let the laws of physics run their course, or did he
    intervene along the way? Or something else that I haven't thought of? And
    would you call your view "theistic evolution" (the term seems to mean
    different things to different people)?

    Richard Wein (Tich)