Re: How is this for an Anti-Evolutionist's use of quotes?

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 15:19:02 EDT

    >From: Susan Brassfield <Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu
    >> Allen Roy:
    >> > So far, no one has addressed the real issue. Did I misquote the
    >> >author? Did I quote out of context?

    Susan:
    >> yes, in that the problems you mention have solutions and you avoided
    >> quoting those.

    Allen:
    >Are you for real Sue? There are no solutions or fixes. The assumptions for
    >the method are invalidated. All it would take is one invalidation, but
    >two of the assumptions are "commonly" invalidated. This means that the
    >method cannot work, period!

    ok. You seemed to have shifted your story here a bit. You originally said
    that the assumption of age was the assumption that couldn't be proved.

    The assumption of a great age for the earth predates radiometric dating by
    quite some time. Early estimates were based on geological observation--and
    the assumption then was that the earth was 6000 years old. Assumptions
    can't effect the data for long. If evidence doesn't bear out your
    assumptions you have to dump your assumptions and early geologists did. In
    the 1770s Buffon thought the earth was about 3 billion years old. In the
    1897 Kelvin thought it was 20-40 million years. In the early part of this
    century the development of our understanding of astronomy--including
    Einstein's theory of relitivity--provided geologists confirmation for their
    observations. When radiometric dating came along the assumptions of great
    age were already there because the evidence was there.

    The basic problem with your argument is, if you were correct, the
    geologists would get random dates for the age of the earth. That doesn't
    happen. Geologists all over the world, using different radiometric methods
    get similar dates.

    You were in such a hurry to sneer at talk.origins that you missed the fact
    that the argument you are making, since it is a very common creationist
    argument, is addressed directly.
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

    "1. Reference to a case where the given method did not work

       This is perhaps the most common objection of all. Creationists point to
    instances where a
       given method produced a result that is clearly wrong, and then argue
    that therefore all
       such dates may be ignored. Such an argument fails on two counts:

             First, an instance where a method fails to work does not imply
    that it does not ever
             work. The question is not whether there are "undatable" objects,
    but rather whether
             or not all objects cannot be dated by a given method. The fact
    that one wristwatch
             has failed to keep time properly cannot be used as a justification
    for discarding all
             watches.

             How many creationists would see the same time on five different
    clocks and then feel
             free to ignore it? Yet, when five radiometric dating methods agree
    on the age of one
             of the Earth's oldest rock formations (Dalrymple 1986, p. 44), it
    is dismissed without
             a thought. "

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/