Purpose and protocol reminder

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 11:50:21 EDT

    List members,

    The courtesy level on the list seems to have diminished somewhat. While I
    don't want to inhibit forthright discussion, let's be respectful of one
    another. Here are some excerpts from the message you all received when you
    joined this list (which can be found in its entirety at
    http://www.asa3.org/evolution/evolutionabout.html).

    TG

    About the evolution@calvin.edu group

    This list has its origins in an e-mail reflector begun by Berkeley law
    professor, Phillip E. Johnson. Dr. Johnson is known for his critique of
    evolutionary theory and naturalism in his book _Darwin on Trial_, Second
    edition, (Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press, 1993). He began this
    group in 1993 as forum for the discussion of the implications of theism for
    the evaluations of evolutionary theory. A commitment to theism is shared by
    most participants in the group, but there is a wide range of opinions under
    that rubric including people who would call themselves young earth
    creationists, intelligent design proponents, progressive creationists, and
    theistic evolutionists (or evolutionary creationists). Some of the
    participants prefer to remain unlabelled and maybe are agnostic with respect
    to the latter categories. While the group is not off-limits to critics of
    theism, we are not interested in the sort of creationist-bashing that
    occurs in other contexts; however, good-faith questions and relevant
    observations are welcome from those critics.

    Here are the guidelines provided by Dr. Johnson for the original e-mail
    reflector:
    Re: Protocol

    I am regularly hearing from people who want to add their
    names to the mail reflector. As a result, the group is
    growing from an initial list of people who all knew each
    other to a diverse forum. With one or two exceptions, just
    about everyone can be described as either a creationist or
    a skeptic about fully naturalistic evolution.

    I see this list as developing naturally into a forum where
    people can broadcast and discuss ideas as a kind of pre-
    liminary form of publication. "In jokes" or chatty talks
    between friends will be increasingly out of place because so
    many of the people receiving the communications won't
    understand them. Reports of things that are going on,
    interesting publications, thoughts on new developments, and
    so on, are particularly encouraged. It is of course possible
    for a smaller group to set up a separate reflector for more
    personal communications.

    I do want to encourage everyone on the list to communicate
    something about who they are and what their particular
    interest in evolution or origins comes from. There's no
    compulsion about this if you are bashful, but I think
    people would be interested in knowing who is interested in
    this forum and why. You might also find yourself getting
    in touch with some interesting folks that way.

    Everyone should feel free to sound off, but the discussion
    should at all times be courteous and nobody should feel
    badgered or harrassed. I don't expect that to be a problem,
    but I will step in as moderator if needed to maintain a
    constructive tone to the discussion or cut off repetitive
    discussions that may be boring to some of us. (Such discus-
    sions can of course be continued among a smaller group that
    retains interest in the subject.)

    One final item about protocol: it is a breach of privacy,
    good manners, and possibly copyright to republish something
    someone says in one forum elsewhere -- especially if this is
    done with the intent to take advantage or embarrass someone for
    a possibly hasty comment. Communications on the
    internet are never secure, and email should never be employed
    to confess your secret misdeeds. We should all feel free to
    express opinions in a fairly unguarded way, however. Again,
    I do not expect this ever to be a problem, but think it best
    to make the point explicitly so no misunderstanding has a
    chance to develop.

    These guidelines are still appropriate; however, due to the auto-subscribe
    procedure and the public nature of the World Wide Web archive, the
    exchanges on this list are even more public. Participants should be
    aware of this change.

    The group will be self-policing with respect to propriety of discussion
    topics and the spirit in which discussions are conducted. Only in extreme
    cases will the list manager step in.

    Please "sign" your name to your message. If you have never posted
    to the group before, please tell us a little bit about yourself.
    Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
    grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/
    phone: 970-491-7003 fax: 970-491-1801