Re: Anti-evolutionists use of quotes

From: Ami Chopine (amka@vcode.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 12:27:01 EDT

    And this isn't mean spirited?

    Don Frack:
    "ignoring Steve Jones
     rantings. I had just stopped bothering, but hadn't filtered him out"

    "THE most mean spirited trash"

     "> My exposure to Steve is that he likes to take soundbites from the
    Internet,
    > or skim through current literature and comment ad nauseum. Occasionally,
    he
    > even has something interesting to say, but the signal-to-noise ratio seems
    > to be too low for some of us."

    "What, do these guys attend classes to memorize
    the knee-jerk response?"

    I'm not disagreeing with your point. But your post would have made its good
    point without all this. Its extraneous to the discussion. It is perhaps
    unfortunate that Troy was used as an example, but I do not think Steve was
    attacking him. Merely pointing out that Troy, not being a recognized
    authority in the field, would not be able to comment. Steve was merely
    trying to show how ridiculous this was, because obviously Troy has studied
    evolutionary biology a great deal. So did Hoyle. What is the difference?

    But I think the whole point is being missed. That someone should or should
    not be quoted based on whatever authority they have on a subject has no
    bearing on whether or not they can participate in a discussion in that
    subject. With respect to Troy, surely he will not be quoted, except to this
    small group or others he participates in, merely because his name is not
    known. If he writes a book which becomes recognized by leader's in science
    and/or the populous, then he will be quoted. The whole point of quoting
    when trying to convince another person of your opinion, is that the name
    either be easily recognized or easily researched and found to be recognized.
    But that does not bar him from participating in this discussion or making
    relevant comments. Doesn't even bar anyone from making irrelevent comments.

    Ami Chopine

    Thanks,

    Ami Chopine