Re: Anti-evolutionists use of quotes

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 17:39:43 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 02:15:11 -0700, Troy Britain wrote:

    TB>Hi all,

    As this is AFAIK the first time I have seen a post from Troy, a welcome to
    the Reflector to him.

    I gather from his post, and from his home page at:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/troybritain/MyPage.html
    that Troy is an evolutionist. But maybe Troy can tell us a bit more about
    himself and what exactly his position on the creation-evolution spectrum is?

    TB>Another way in which anti-evolutionists abuse their quote mining tactic,

    It's interesting how evolutionists, instead of being relaxed about their
    theory, knowing that if it is true, it will always win through, feel a
    need to protect it, so that it is effectively immune from challenge. Thus
    if an "anti-evolutionist" quotes from evolutionist writers who are
    expressing some problems with or doubts about the theory, then that is
    "abuse" and "quote mining"!

    TB>is to quote from scientists who either hold a minority view (often a tiny
    >minority), or sometimes from a scientist whose views are down right nutty,

    This does happen, but comparatively rarely. Most of the quotes in
    creationists literature that I have seen are is from prominent evolutionists,
    like Stephen Jay Gould for example.

    TB>and present them as if the views they represent are of equal weight to the
    >consensus view held by the vast majority of scientists.

    Maybe Troy can enlighten us all on what exactly this "consensus view held
    by the vast majority of scientists" is?

    TB>Often these fringe
    >scientists do not even have directly relevant backgrounds to the subject
    >they are being quoted on.

    We have had this `priestly' argument before. Taken to its logical conclusion
    this Reflector would have to shut down.

    And since "the vast majority of scientists" are not evolutionary biologists,
    they would not be entitled to express a view on evolution either.

    It would also rule out Troy commenting on evolution because on his web page:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/troybritain/troy.htm, it would
    appear that Troy himself is not even a scientist but "a printer" whose
    "general science education...in public school was pretty pathetic", and who
    had "never heard much of anything about evolution in public school" but who
    had "read and watched TV documentaries on science, nature, and history
    and absorbed a fair amount of information over the years..."

    TB>Moreover the actual views of these fringe
    >scientists often clash not only with mainstream science but also with those
    >of the anti-evolutionists who are quoting them as authorities.

    That these so-called "fringe scientists" are not creationists goes without
    saying. There would be no point in quoting them if they were, as Snelling
    points out:

    "One more thing needs to be said. Evolutionists have often protested unfair
    to quoting an evolutionist as if he were against evolution itself. So let it be
    said from the outset that the vast majority of authorities quoted are
    themselves ardent believers in evolution. But that is precisely the point...
    The foundations of the evolutionary edifice are hardly likely to be shaken
    by a collection of quotes from the many scientists who are biblical
    creationists. In a court of law, an admission from a hostile witness is the
    most valuable. Quoting the evolutionary palaeontologist who admits the
    absence of in-between forms, or the evolutionary biologist who admits the
    hopelessness of the mutation/selection mechanism, is perfectly legitimate if
    the admission is accurately represented in its own right, regardless of
    whether the rest of the article is full of hymns of praise to all the other
    aspects of evolution." (Snelling A., "The Revised Quote Book," 1990,
    inside cover).

    The issue is not whether these "fringe scientists" agree with creationists on
    everything, but whether their critiques of evolution are *true*.

    TB>Fredrick Hoyle is a perfect example of this. Hoyle, who by all accounts is
    >(or was) a brilliant astronomer, wandered out of his field to write several
    >books expressing skepticism about various parts of evolutionary theory and
    >promoting his own unique ideas on how the history of life on earth should be
    >explained, and it is these works that anti-evolutionists mine for quotes to
    >support their arguments.

    Hoyle is not just an "astronomer". He was a Cambridge mathematician and
    theoretical physicist who has made major contributions to astrophysics.

    And as a mathematician, Hoyle is fully qualified to analyse Neo-Darwinism's
    mathematical arguments, which he did to devastating effect in his recently
    re-published book, "The Mathematics of Evolution," where he independently
    worked out from scratch the crucial mathematical arguments of Fisher,
    Haldane and Sewall Wright (upon which much of Neo-Darwinism is based),
    and found major flaws in their mathematics.

    TB>However what anti-evolutionists do not explain to their audiences is why A)
    >this astronomers views should carry any particular weight in a discussion
    >about biology and/or paleontology, or B) exactly what Hoyle's alternative
    >explanation for the history of life is.

    Maybe Troy should first explain why, on the basis of his own argument, his
    "views should carry any particular weight in a discussion about biology
    and/or paleontology"?

    If we can't listen to an eminent Cambridge mathematician who has made
    the study of evolution his private specialty, why should we listen to
    "a painter" whose "general science education...in public school was pretty
    pathetic" and whose science education appears to have been mainly from
    having "read and watched TV documentaries on science, nature, and history
    and absorbed a fair amount of information over the years..."?

    TB>Regarding A), the anti-evolutionists penchant for quoting him (and others
    >like him) is really little more an attempt at argument from authority. The
    >idea being that these are respected scientists with PhD's so what they say
    >on any area of science must be important.

    Sounds to me like Troy is giving a pretty good rendition of the "argument
    from authority" himself!

    TB>Quotations of Hoyle given by
    >anti-evolutionists are often prefaced by referring to him as "respected
    >scientist", or "famous astronomer", in order to further build up his
    >supposed authority in the eyes of their audience.

    Creationist books are mainly written for ordinary people who may not
    know who Hoyle is. But I agree that creationists should be sparing with
    their adjectives. On my own quote page I simply state what his name and
    position is (or was), e.g. "(Hoyle, Fred [former Professor of Astronomy,
    Cambridge University], "Mathematics of Evolution," [1987], Acorn
    Enterprises: Memphis TN, 1999, p.10)".

    TB>The fact that Hoyle is an astronomer certainly does not disqualify him from
    >having an opinion on other areas of science, nor does it disqualify him from
    >possibly making valuable contributions to them. There have been many
    >scientists (and even non-scientists) who have done so in the past. On the
    >other hand the fact that he has a PhD and is noted in astronomy does not
    >make him any better qualified to do so than any other
    >non-biologist/paleontologist to comment on these fields.

    See above on Troy not being able to comment either on evolution, under his
    own self-refuting criteria!

    TB> Unless they can
    >show that Hoyle has distinguished himself by demonstrating his mastery of
    >these fields (despite his lack of formal background in them) and has been
    >acknowledged by scientists in those fields as having done so (and I submit
    >that he has not), then anti-evolutionists may just as well quote their own
    >views on evolution as those of Hoyle.

    There is a catch-22 here, which Troy no doubt is well aware of. Since
    evolutionary biology is dominated by philosophical materialist-naturalists,
    no one these days could demonstrate his mastery of evolutionary biology
    and be "acknowledged by scientists in those fields as having done so"
    unless he himself was a naturalistic evolutionist like them! Floyd Hamilton