Re: Intelligent Design

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 11:57:46 EDT

    "I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that
    people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral
    teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing
    we
    must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things
    Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a
    lunatic
    - on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg- or else he would
    be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and

    is, the Son of God: or else a madman or some thing worse. You can shut
    Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you
    can
    fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any
    patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not
    left that open to us. He did not intend to." (Lewis C.S., "Mere
    Christianity," 1977, p52)
    <<<<

    First, Jesus is never quoted as saying, "I am God" but only making
    oblique statements such as, "If you have seen me you have seen the
    father." This could mean something like, "I am as close as you are going
    to get to seeing God." This is a common situation when one wants to
    access the top man in an organization. Sometimes you can't get past
    number two man.

    Second, the Bible writers could have added these hints of deity to
    "prove" their theology. They could have done this while accurately
    reporting the moral material.

    Third, most of his moral teaching is either an OT quotation or a rehash
    of rabbinical material. There is very little origional moral teaching in
    the NT.

    Fourth, his ethical complaints seem to be against the life style of some
    of his contemporaries and not a criticism of the OT teachings or
    rabbinical moral teachings.

    billwald@juno.com

    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.