Re: the role of sex in evolution

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 04:08:06 EDT

    From: Chris Cogan <ccogan@telepath.com>

    >Chris
    >Not necessarily. It would depend on the mechanism. We *do* see evolution
    >happening right before our eyes, anyway, in the bacterial realm (because of
    >the speed of reproduction), and in animal breeding (because breeders don't
    >*induce* changes, but *only* select them when they appear naturally), and
    in
    >*many* examples like "industrial melanism." A few of these examples might
    be
    >spurious, or merely the appearance of evolution caused by poor observation,
    >and some such evolution (as in the beak of the finch) is minor, at best,
    but
    >they make the critical point: naturalistic evolution does occur.
    >
    >However, once Stephen admits that it happens at all, his case for a
    designer
    >is ultimately *totally* destroyed, anyway, because of the uncarryable
    burden
    >of proof that that admission imposes on his position. He must then prove
    >that there is some ultimate "barrier" to such change that forcibly
    >*prevents* "macroevolution" from occurring.

    There is another possible argument open to anti-evolutionists -- the "not
    enough time" argument. I think this is their best hope of making a genuine
    scientific case. Since it would be a quantitative argument, they would
    have to do some real research and come up with some specific figures.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    Please note my new email address <rwein@lineone.net>
    and web address <http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/>