RE: Intelligent Design

From: Hofmann, Jim (jhofmann@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 21:25:40 EDT

     The ambiguity of "design" is a recurring theme in these debates. Most
    theistic evolutionists that I know object to the ID movement's attempt to
    monopolize the term to represent themselves as the sole theistic alternative
    to materialistic and atheistic evolution. As has been pointed out so often
    in this forum, "design" can refer either to an intention or to the execution
    of an intention. For theistic evolutionists, all of nature is surely
    "designed" in the sense that it was brought about by God for God's
    intentions. The execution of that design is left to science to explore and
    evolutionary theory is simply one domain of that exploration.

    Jim Hofmann
    http://nsmserver2.fullerton.edu/departments/chemistry/evolution_creation/web
    /