Re: ad hominems & the future of this Reflector

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 21:00:42 EDT

    > Reflectorites
    >
    > On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:52:45 -0500, Susan Brassfield wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > >SJ>No. If Tedd claims that I have made an out-of-context quote, he should
    be
    > >>able to state objectively what the context is and why my quote does not
    fit
    > >>it.
    > >>
    > >>If I am wrong I will admit it and thank Tedd. I have no desire, or need,
    > >>post out-of-context quotes.
    >
    > SB>But I've already done that in this thread:
    > >http://www.calvin.edu/archive/evolution/199911/0210.html
    >
    > We fully debated that at the time. Susan was simply wrong. The words I
    > omitted with ellipses were not relevant to the particular argument I was
    > making. I said at the time I would be happy to reinsert the omitted words
    > and debate the point, but Susan declined.

    Chris

    There was no need; *she* had already given the full quotation, showing how
    his deletions did in fact change the apparent meaning of what Gould had
    said.

    And, as she pointed out at the time, Gould was *not* disagreeing with my
    claim that evolution proceeds by a process of cumulative variation (by which
    I mean *any* naturally-occurring genetic change, such as those that
    animal-breeders take advantage of (they do not *induce* change, they only
    *select* changes that occur naturally). Stephen tries to argue, by reference
    to Gould's remarks, that *my* views are controversial among evolutionists,
    but the passage quoted, with the second missing piece put back in, does
    *not* support his claim that my views are controversial (it would not matter
    much if they were controversial, though, unless there were good *reasons*
    for my views to be controversial among evolutionists). Thus, the statement
    he makes above is in fact falsified by the original post and the *correct*
    version of the quotation.

    I don't think Stephen would like it if we gathered up *all* of the posts in
    which he has done this or similar things. If the reader goes back and reads
    the posts, he or she can clearly see that Stephen's deletions *do*
    significantly change the meaning of what is quoted. I think Stephen could
    only claim that they weren't relevant if he is claiming to have been arguing
    for some very technical point that itself was not relevant to the issue of
    whether naturalistic variation-and-selection evolution occurs. But, even if
    he were thus to escape from charges of dishonesty in this one case, the
    overall *pattern* of his manipulations of quotations and of opposing views
    demonstrates amply that Susan is right. A few instances could be innocent
    mistakes. Even *many* instances of it could be innocent (but extremely
    biased) mistakes. But Stephen has gone on doing it for at least a *year*
    now since I saw my first post pointing this out to him -- and it had clearly
    *not* been the first time these "innocent" mistakes had been pointed out!
    And he is *still* doing it!

    He has, thankfully, ceased responding to my posts, if only because he
    filters them out, in yet another act of preventing information from getting
    through and triggering thought. Now, he is filtering Susan's posts as well.
    If we could *only* get him to cease responding to posts altogether! It
    might then be possible to make considerably more progress, because there
    would then be no need to spend so much time pointing out Stephen's
    misrepresentations and "innocent" mistakes.

    I suggest that *everyone* who has recognized Stephen's pattern of
    misbehavior *call* him on it.

    Make a big point of it. Perhaps then he'll either *get* the point (that we
    do not appreciate such intellectual dishonesty, even if it's "only" the
    dishonesty of failing to compensate for his automatic mental distorters by
    paying extra attention to what his opponents (and, for that matter,
    non-opponents, whose views he also misrepresents to make them seem to be
    supporting his views strongly when they support them either weakly or not at
    all) -- *or* he'll withdraw and let *honest* design-theorists have the
    field.

    Thus, I address the following to those people:

    Do you *really* think it's in the interests of your views to have them
    promoted dishonestly? Do you really think that having someone *devotedly*
    catering to the ignorant, unthinking, mentally sloppy, or dishonest
    supporters of design theory is a good thing? Do you think that the
    persistent and *basic* lies and "innocent mistakes" of people like Stephen
    and Phillip Johnson will somehow bring about a better world? If the truth
    isn't good enough, does it help to "create" truth by manipulating opponent's
    views, scientific theories? Does it really help to have these people
    persistently defying logic and reason generally?

    I doubt it. What good will it be to have a world full of people who believe
    the conclusions you believe, but who believe them on the basis of lies they
    were accepted too incautiously, too casually, and because they didn't have
    the real-world background knowledge to enable them to realize they were
    being had? What good is it to have people accept and hold a theory that can
    only be maintained on the basis of ignorance of observable facts and/or a
    lack of thought?

    If that's what you want, and if that's what you *should* want, then you are
    right to sanction and implicitly support Stephen's behavior. But, if your
    interest is the truth, and if you *honestly*
    believe in designer theory, then I don't see how you can continue to let
    Stephen get away with his constant misrepresentations.

    And yet, I suspect that some people on this list have seen the pattern and
    have let it slide, in the belief that, since he was arguing for what they
    believe, it was best to let him do it.

    But, though demagoguery is still effective, it has *never* been effective to
    any good end, and it's effectiveness is becoming less and less as the
    Internet becomes more and more widespread. It's just becoming way too easy
    for even the casually interested to check up on people like Stephen and
    Phillip Johnson and Duane Gish (which makes their behavior all the more
    amazing, because, despite the ease with which their lies and "innocent"
    mistakes can be detected and publicized, they *still* continue to do it!).
    The ignorant and mentally sloppy will not be the leaders of the information
    age. They will, instead, be left behind, sitting in their intellectual
    caves wondering why people can't see that the Earth really is flat and that
    magnets in bracelets really do cure cancer.

    > SB>none of us who debate you have any confidence in your quotes. They are
    too
    > >often obviously out of context and quite dishonest.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > I am getting a bit tired of Susan's "lie" and "dishonest" ad hominems as a
    > substitute for rational arguments. It is a complete waste of everybody's
    time
    > me defending myself from such `shoot the messenger' attacks. Since Susan
    > continues doing this, I have now inserted a filter in my emailer to
    delete
    > anything from Susan also unread.s really are.

    Chris

    The problem is that Stephen is not a messenger when he twists other people's
    words and ideas. In one response to one of my posts pointing out his
    misrepresentations, he misrepresented my remarks about his
    misrepresentations. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

    When he does this, he becomes a liar, not a mere messenger, transferring a
    message intact from sender to receiver. As I've pointed out, since many of
    the issues on this list depend on empirical facts that the average list
    member may never have personally experienced, we need to be able to assume,
    for the most part, the simple intellectual integrity of our opponents with
    respect to things like quotations. Otherwise, debate on issues grinds to a
    halt while people hash out whether Stephen J. Gould actually said what
    Stephen Jones (or others like him) *claim* he said. This is a waste of time.
    The Internet can allow us to gather information more widely than we readily
    could without it, but we should still be able to depend on our opponents at
    *least* to be honest and accurate in such issues as quotations and the
    nature of opposing views, and not to try to take advantage of people's
    ignorance and habits of casual thought to foist on them ideas and beliefs
    that they would never accept were they significantly more knowledgeable or
    paying significantly more attention.

    SJ
    > I note that Mike B. Gene has also unsubscribed from the Reflector. I
    > don't blame him. In fact I am considering doing the same in order to
    > concentrate on my studies, a book I am writing, my web page, and
    > the other List I am on.
    >
    > Personally I think that the Moderator should immediately enforce a
    > minimum standard of debating etiquette, e.g. ad hominems like "lie"
    > and "dishonest" not be tolerated.

    Chris
    They are not ad hominems if they are true and if they are rationally based
    on the evidence, and if they are not aimed at actual arguments but at member
    misbehavior. Neither Susan nor anyone else has attempted to pseudo-refute
    an actual *argument* by imputing dishonesty to Stephen. His arguments, such
    as they are, fall on their own lack of merit. What is galling is the
    *continued* intellectual dishonesty of misrepresenting quotations and
    opponents' views and arguments. And it is not irrelevant, either (see
    above). It is best by *far* to bring such intellectual dishonesty out in
    the open where everyone can see it. If we don't, we effectively sanction
    it. It's like watching a murder being committed without even bothering to
    call the police. By remaining silent after the point of no longer being
    able to sustain a reasonable doubt, we effectively say, "Well, it may not be
    nice for him to do that, but I don't want to be the one to rock the boat and
    say anything. Remember Kitty Genovese?

    If he would simply state his *own* arguments and reasoning, and correctly
    represent the views and arguments he opposes, there would be no problem, but
    he won't do either of these, apparently because he is incapable of
    independent thought, except for that minimum needed in order to distort the
    views of others.

    Should the moderator enforce a minimum standard of honesty? I don't think
    so, but we, the list members should, by exposing dishonesty and keeping the
    light on it until it shrivels back into the darkness from whence it came.
    Like vampires, with which such dishonesty shares important traits, (at least
    metaphorically) such dishonesty does not handle bright light well. If we
    remain silent, it is allowed to grow, to expand, and to find new victims
    among the innocently ignorant and intellectually lazy or undeveloped.

    A better solution would be for people like Stephen to simply quit twisting
    the truth about their opponents' views and arguments, whether he does it by
    mistake or not. Then, there would be no need for anyone to make a public
    issue over his lack of intellectual honesty.

    Failing the unlikely event of Stephen taking up ordinary intellectual
    honesty, what we *should* perhaps do is *all* of the rest of us, design
    theorists and naturalistic evolutionists both, put in e-mail filters to
    screen out *his* posts (or at least not respond to them). If he finds that
    his tactics fail to gain the desired responses from people, he will
    gradually give up and at least develop a better *pretense* at honesty - or
    become an official member of the tin-foil helmet brigade.

    SJ
    > Otherwise, if all the posting creationists and anti-evolutionists continue
    > to leave this Reflector, then it will just be a debate between theistic
    vs
    > atheistic evolutionists.
    >
    > In that case, I doubt that there would be much to debate about and
    > the Reflector would probably just die.

    Chris

    I wonder. Since design theorists do not really *have* a theory, except in
    the broadest and most philosophical sense, the only things really to debate
    have been actual and potential flaws in various versions and interpretations
    of naturalistic evolutionary theory. Nearly all of Stephen's arguments, for
    example, have been nothing more than *criticisms* of naturalistic views
    rather than positive arguments for his own views. He excuses this on the
    grounds that we're having a
    *debate*, but this is not an adequate response to the charge. If your only
    debating tool is criticism of your opponents view, even though your own
    views have a massively *heavier* burden of proof, then something is wrong
    with your own views.

    It is legitimate to criticize your opponents views and arguments, of course,
    but, if this is the only form of "evidence" you have for your own views,
    then it's time to criticize *them*. Of course, the situation is even worse
    if your main form of criticism is not of your opponent's *actual* views and
    arguments, but of *misrepresentations* of them. Since criticizing such
    misrepresentations and under the pretense of refuting the *actual* views and
    arguments is Stephen's *main* method, it will be no loss to us,
    design-theorists or not, if he leaves the list.

    If those left cannot find anything to debate, what does that indicate? If
    design theory does not get a causal principle that yields empirically
    testable implications, why bother to try to support it?
    Can *anyone* even think of a *possible* design-theory principle that could
    be empirically tested and that, if true, would fare better than naturalistic
    evolutionary theory in such tests? Could it be there really *is* nothing to
    debate in this area, except, given the shortcomings of designer theory,
    *whether* there is anything to debate?

    Mike thinks that there is something *inherently* different between designed
    things and non- designed things, but, so far, he has not done any better
    than Paley in showing that this is really the case, and it has been
    demonstrated
    *many* times empirically that "dumb" processes in both nature and
    laboratories can yield results that have the kinds of structural/functional
    complexity and relatedness to an environment that designed things can.

    One way of "generating" musical sounds is to generate so-called "white
    noise" and then *filter*
    out of it the tones one wants to produce. In fact, one way to generate
    almost *any* pattern is to produce "white" signals of the required type and
    then provide some kind of filtering mechanism that eliminates everything
    except the desired pattern.

    Reproduction with variation is a means of introducing "noise" into
    information. In fact, noise *is* information. Survival of the fittest (for
    the local environment) is a means of *filtering* that information, so that
    only "fit" information survives. The constant production and filtering of
    such molecular "noise" *must* yield (relatively) clear (if not perfectly
    *pure*) genetic "tones," because the ones that are not "clear" enough *must*
    die out; they *cannot* survive (because, for example, the organism they
    produce cannot assimilate some nutrient that it needs, or because it can't
    run fast enough to escape predators, or because its reproductive mechanism
    is defective, etc.). Since surviving "tones" are themselves subject to
    *further* variations (i.e., "noise") (empirically observed fact), and since
    these variations are subject to the same general kinds of information
    filtering as were previous generations, evolution *must* occur unless there
    is something to *stop* it from occurring, such as conditions that do not
    support *any* of the variations, or an outside influence.

    Thus, it would be a *stronger* argument for design theory if there had not
    been an obvious "progression" of life forms, because it would indicate that
    the information in living forms had not been accreted from noise in the
    naturalistic evolutionary way. *If* there were no obvious candidates as
    precursors for genetically more-complex organisms, for example, that would
    be a bad sign for NET (Natrualistic Evolutionary Theory).

    Indeed, this is why non-naturalists and creationists put so much effort into
    "proving" that there are signficant "gaps" in the appearance of different
    kinds of organisms. And yet, the best they have been able to do is to show
    that there are no known such candidates in *some* cases. They wish to argue
    from the *lack* of evidence to the conclusion that NET is false and that,
    therefore, their theistic design theory is true (even though these are not
    the only prospective possibilities, so they are committing a
    false-alternative fallacy as well as arguing from ignorance).

    Thus, *objectively*, because of the horrendous deficits in all known types
    of design theory (and
    especially *non-naturalistic* design theory), and because the general
    pattern of the history of life on Earth follows the pattern of NET (combined
    with our modern knowledge of geology, geophysics, climatology, physics,
    chemistry, genetics, astronomy, information theory, and the gross physical
    history of the Earth (including volcanic action, comets, continental plate
    movement, ice ages, and so on)), perhaps there really *isn't* much to
    debate, except the relative details. If NET *isn't* true, it is certainly
    *extremely* veridical. That is, it is extremely isomorphically *similar* to
    whatever the truth is (at NET's level of detail and discourse). At worst,
    it is the equivalent of a Newtonian approximation to an Einsteinian reality:
    Close enough for nearly all practical purposes, including the furthering of
    productive scientific research. What currently available *scientific*,
    empirically testable theory could replace it? In any case, whatever *is*
    true would have to be a *lot* like NET or it would severely conflict with
    the evidence. It would have to encompass it, in effect, in the same way
    that Einstein's General theory effectively encompassed Newtonian theory.
    Theistic designer theory, as such, cannot do this, because everything is
    simply up to the whims of the designer.

    And, the theistic designer theorists won't accept the old "deistic" approach
    of assuming that God made the Universe to behave a certain way but does not
    intervene in it to manipulate it on the fly. They can't accept this because
    it has *nothing* to scientifically distinguish it from pure NET. Design
    theorists want design to be introduced *specifically* at the origin of life
    and at points along the way. Otherwise there is nothing empirical to say
    that pure NET is not true, since they would then be claiming that NET *is*
    true except that the universe it is occurring in did not arise
    naturalistically. But, if *that's* the case, why bother with non-naturalism
    at all? Why not just say, "Well, there's this universe, and it works in
    such a way that NET is true"?

    Again, there seems to be little of fundamental significance to debate,
    except the *philosophical* question of whether the Universe was in fact
    created, etc.

    But, of course, that won't stop people from debating, because that's a lot
    easier than actually studying the physical world or even locating
    certifiably reliable sources on the Internet or in books. Theists will
    continue to want to urge their beliefs upon us without all the bother of
    actually determining, *objectively*, whether their beliefs are strongly
    supported by evidence and rational argument (most theists, like many
    non-theists, don't have the epistemological knowledge and skills to
    determine this, anyway).

    Fringe extremist demagogues like Stephen may drift away from lists like
    this, but others will stay or go to new lists. If they are basically
    honest, they may learn enough to change their views, and they may stimulate
    over-casual evolution supporters (of which I have come across plenty) into
    being more cautious about both their claims and how they defend them (and
    into actually studying the facts their case rests on). And, if, by some
    weirdness, some real evidence is found that truly does support their views,
    *we* (naturalistic evolutionists) may have to change our views, at least to
    the degree of accepting that life originated elsewhere in the Universe, or
    something of that sort. This seems extremely unlikely, and it's also a
    relatively extreme proposal that would require relatively extreme support
    (scientifically), support that is not currently in the offing.

    The distinguishing feature of life is that it *actively* manipulates
    information for the furtherance of itself or its own internal (usually
    genetic) information. This is why viruses are not considered to be living
    organisms. They reproduce, but only by passively tapping into the host
    cell's active following of what it takes as "instructions" (which,
    unfortunately for the cell, usually have the effect of producing more copies
    of the virus).

    Thus, the first life may have been no more than a kind of "enzyme" that did
    not *merely* provide a kind of passive catalyzing effect in producing more
    copies of itself, but which actually took in energy and used that energy to
    *actively* promote the production of more copies of itself. As you can
    imagine, this could provide it with a tremendous reproductive advantage over
    otherwise nearly identical but passive (and therefore non-living) precursors
    of itself. Though non-living reproducers (i.e., viruses and even some
    simple molecules) still exist, there is not a lot of room for their
    evolution except as reproductive parasites in living organisms, because, in
    most cases, they'd eventually evolve into *living* organisms themselves and
    thus take over the most of the niches held by non-living precursors, or
    they'd cease reproducing if their ability to evolve was not sufficient to
    keep up with the local changing demands of continued non-living
    reproduction.

    Whether life on Earth *did* originate this way is not known, of course.
    But, the point is that all of the monstrous arguments designed to show the
    alleged extreme improbability of life arising naturalistically fail because
    they rest on at least unsupported *assumptions* of their own about what life
    is and what the first living thing must have been and how, as simple as it
    was, it must have differed radically from the most sophisticated
    *non-living* precursors of itself.

    *Amazingly* bad assumptions about life have plagued both this kind of
    argument and the very similar but oppositely-oriented fine-tuning argument.
    In the fine-tuning case, it is argued that there must be a God because the
    Universe is so "finely-tuned" for life that it would be too unlikely for it
    to have occurred by "accident." In the other case, it is argued that *life*
    must be designed because the Universe (or at least Earth 3.8 bya) was so
    *grossly-tuned* that life could not arise by unplanned accident.

    These are somewhat antithetical views, though I suppose they could be
    reconciled by a little trimming and jiggering here and there. But, in any
    case, both are unsound because they make extreme assumptions about the
    conditions for and the nature of life (and, in the case of the fine- tuning
    argument, about what universes could logically have existed instead of ours
    and about what "universes" actually *do* exist (they assume that only ours
    or some small number exists)).

    Stephen Jones, as our role-model of (in)consistency, argues that the
    Universe is *both* finely tuned for life that, by implication, life should
    be able to arise by accident *and* that it is so *grossly* tuned for life
    that life could not possibly arise by accident.

    But, if it *is* so finely tuned, perhaps it is (or was) *so* finely tuned
    that life could arise without further intervention. Sadly for theism, such a
    degree of fine-tuning would not support the general fine-tuning argument for
    the existence of God (which rests also on other bad premises), but it
    *would* undermine the "gross-tuning" argument for the necessity of a
    designer-God.

    Personally, I think these issues are interesting to debate on their own
    merits, and that we don't need the continued dishonesty of Stephen Jones to
    interfere with our discussing of these issues.

    If there are *enough* design-theorists who are genuinely interested in
    working through these issues and others like them related to evolution, then
    the list will survive. If there are not enough such people, then it may be
    just as well that the list dies out and is replaced by another,
    evolutionarily "fitter" list. One way or another, evolution of some sort
    will occur, though not always for the better (by our standards), of course.

    Anyway, Stephen's unwillingness to deal with his own egregious intellectual
    habits (and his pretense that, despite his manipulations of the truth, he is
    only a "messenger") is something we can do without.

    P.S.: Damn! I just retrieved my e-mail, and I see that Steve, "as a mark of
    good faith," is removing all his filters. I hope that he will at least do as
    he exhorts *us* to do: Stick to the issues. Would that he would, rather than
    distorting both the issues and what people say about them. Oh well, let's
    wait a day or so and see how he behaves. But, from now on, if he resumes his
    "normal" career path, perhaps we should simply point out his
    misrepresentations but not bother to deal with them otherwise, not bother to
    try to explain, for the billionth time, what evolutionary theory *actually*
    says and implies. On those (rare?) occasions in the future when he actually
    properly quotes someone or responds to a post as it was actually written
    instead of to some weird twisted and deformed version that exists only in
    his mind, I see no harm in treating such responses civilly, even if his
    response does not adequately answer our points. It will be miracle enough to
    get him to "stick to the [actual] issues," I think.

    -Chris