Re: ad hominems & the future of this Reflector

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 10:46:12 EDT

    >From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>
    >
    >>Personally I think that the Moderator should immediately enforce a
    >>minimum standard of debating etiquette, e.g. ad hominems like "lie"
    >>and "dishonest" not be tolerated.

    If I think I'm seeing blatant dishonesty and don't point it out, I'm a
    partner in that dishonesty. I laid my case before you all last November. I
    showed the context of Stephen's quote and I think that made it pretty clear
    that his deliberate deletion changed the message of the quote. If I can be
    kicked off this list for doing that, I don't belong on this list, in fact
    none of us do.

    I don't mind arguing Stephen's points--and I've done that--but I won't
    tolerate deception which, BTW, I assumed was inadvertent. I thought he'd
    picked up a quote somewhere and foolishly trusted the source. Stephen hotly
    insisted that he had altered the quote himself.

    I'm also kind of shocked at how few people commented on the issue at the
    time. Except for Bertvan, of course, who basically said I should ignore it
    all.

    If Stephen had not already shut his ears as well as his mind, I would love
    to know why he continues a debate technique that must be quite time
    consuming, but doesn't get him anywhere. Everyone knows Mayr isn't a
    creationist and doesn't have any serious problems with evolution. Why quote
    him to make him seem as though he does? It doesn't really advance the
    creationist cause, but damages it quite a bit.

    >>Otherwise, if all the posting creationists and anti-evolutionists continue
    >>to leave this Reflector, then it will just be a debate between theistic vs
    >>atheistic evolutionists.
    >>
    >>In that case, I doubt that there would be much to debate about and
    >>the Reflector would probably just die.

    Richard Wein:
    >While the reflector would no doubt lose much of its entertainment value if
    >all anti-evolutionists withdrew, it would lose little in the way of rational
    >discourse.
    >
    >There are certainly subjects for evolutionists to debate amongst themselves.
    >(It's rather parochial of Stephen to believe otherwise.) I'm currently
    >awaiting a reply from Terry Gray to a question of mine.... (hint) ;-)

    I've often been appalled at the lack of rigor on this list. It seems like
    few (and I grudgingly include myself in this) seem to be willing to take
    the time and look up any facts to support their case. That causes the
    debate to boil down to "did not/did too" and that's *really* boring!

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/