Re:Falsification of Darwinism (was: the role of sex in evolution)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 18:03:42 EDT

    SJ
    > If Tedd concedes that it is "obvious" that "Darwinism would not be
    > falsified if we found another Earth-like planet with no life...on
    > it", then I rest my case.

    Chris
    The only problem is, you don't *have* a case.

    Whether Darwinism would be falsified or not depends on exactly how *much*
    the "Earth-like" planet was like Earth. Even then, though we know that life
    must arise if the conditions for it are sustained long enough, it is at
    least conceivable that the *precise* molecular arrangements that eventually
    evolve into life are rare enough that they don't always occur, even on
    planets that would eagerly support life once it did arise. I don't think
    this is the case, however.

    Nevertheless, it is true that it *is* obvious that Darwinism would not be
    falsified if we found another Earth-like planet with no life. If the
    conditions were *identical* (down to the level of every photon's exact
    frequency, etc.), then I'd say that it *would* falsify this one aspect of
    Darwinism (or it would support indeterministic interpretations of Quantum
    Mechanics -- though I would reject this one small aspect of Darwinism before
    agreeing that such interpretations of Quantum Mechanics can actually be
    true).

    *SMALL aspect!?!? -- you say? Yes. If the conditions were not right on
    Earth, then, perhaps they *were* right somewhere else and the life that
    arose there either came here or was transported or created (via a machine,
    etc.) here. That would not invalidate the basic Darwinist proposal that life
    has evolved from the beginning via a process of variation and culling, a
    process of information-generation via informational "noise" and
    information-filtering by the rigors of the demands made on an organism if it
    is to pass its information on.

    Perhaps SJ needs to study the theory of evolution before criticizing it so
    heavily. Oh, and scientific methodology, and the nature of scientific
    theories and knowledge. Oops, and mathematics, information theory, geology,
    geophysics, physics, theory of computation, etc. So far, the only things he
    seems to be expert in are chess (according to him) and quoting people out of
    context. Oh, and leaping to conclusions, misrepresenting the ideas of people
    who disagree with him, and inverting burdens of proof. Did I mention that
    he's good at taking the utterly unsubstantiated claims made in the Bible as
    true while rejecting conclusions for which there are (both literally and
    figuratively) *mountains* of evidence (not to mention *canyons* of evidence,
    such as the Grand Canyon)?