Re: Ruling out God intervening at strategic points in natural history? (was tests and predictions)

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 17:05:52 EDT

    > "Intervene" literally means
    >"coming in between". An example in human history would be God's
    >intervention in the supernatural call to Abraham, . . .

    OK, but he can do it without resorting to miracles/magic

    >Second, it is begging the question to say that God's intervention is
    >necessarily to "suspend or countermand the physical constants and
    >relationships". God could have *planned* to intervene further down the
    >track when things were ready.

    OK, but does he need to do miracles/magic to complete his plan?

    >Third, "magic tricks" are either false or occult miracles. God's
    miracles by
    >definition are the real thing.

    In other words, miracles are magic that God does and magic is miracles
    that bad guys do.

    >So I ask Bill again, if he "rules out God intervening at strategic
    points in
    >natural history? For example, the origin of life, the origin of new
    designs,
    >the origin of humans?"

    No. but God does not need to do magic/miracles.

    >So what? The view that "Darwinism, as well as creationism, are
    >metaphysical systems" is itself grounded in a metaphysical system. We
    can't
    >avoid metaphysical systems. The question then is, is it a *true*
    >metaphysical system?

    No way to tell. Propose a test. If there was evidence - data - one way
    or the other it would no longer be a metaphysical problem but a science
    problem.

    >"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny ? Yet not one of them will fall
    >the ground apart from the will of your Father." (Mt 10:29).

    One of the most discouraging verses in the Bible. The birds continue to
    fall. People get shoved into gas chambers, God knows it all. Nothing
    changes.

    billwald@juno.com

    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.