Re: Ruling out God intervening at strategic points in natural history? (was tests and predictions)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 19:31:50 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:05:52 -0700, billwald@juno.com wrote:

    [...]

    BW>OK, but he can do it without resorting to miracles/magic

    [...]

    BW>OK, but does he need to do miracles/magic to complete his plan?

    [...]

    BW>In other words, miracles are magic that God does and magic is miracles
    >that bad guys do.

    [...]

    BW>No. but God does not need to do magic/miracles.

    [...]

    If Bill can't get past the idea that God intervening supernaturally in
    nature must be "magic", then we really won't have a lot to discuss.

    Steve

    PS: I have after this post read three other posts from Bill which bear an
    uncanny resemblance to the `throw away one-liner' posts of one Pim
    van Meurs, who is no longer on the Reflector:

    Re: Novel paradigms?

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:33:30 -0700, billwald@juno.com wrote:

    >>Cuvier's teleological principle:

    >>Of all the forms which biological structure x might have in environment
    >>, the one hich is actually attained is that which optimizes the function.

    BW>Assumes that environment y is constant, ingores the time lag in the
    >process. Maybe should say, "optimizes the function for the previous
    >environment?"

    Re: Novel paradigms?

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:25:08 -0700, billwald@juno.com wrote:

    >>What do we think Buddhists, Pagans, or Hindu's have to say about ID?

    BW>Don't forget space aliens. We could have been seeded by space aliens. For
    >example:
    >
    > Go to www.hiddenmeanings.com.
    > Scroll down till you find IS ETA CARINA GOD ?

    Re: Gene duplication and design

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:58:51 -0700, billwald@juno.com wrote:

    >> Advanced intelligence and morality are seen only in human beings

    BW>so no way to prove and cause and effect.

    >> and morality seems to require intelligence.

    BW>But intelligence does not require morality. The prisons contain many
    >intelligent people.

    >> Further, advanced intelligence combined with knowledge leads to
    >advanced morality.

    BW>Assumes facts not in evidence.

    I am therefore assuming that "Bill Wald" might actually *be* Pim van
    Meurs.

    Pim's one-liners were so mindless, that in the end I gave up wasting
    my time on them and I inserted a filter in my emailer to delete his
    posts unread.

    Whether Bill is Pim or not, Bill's style is so similar to Pim's that I have
    now taken the same action to filter out Bill's name. So I will no
    longer see Bill's posts except when others answer him. If I see his
    posts improve in substance in his debates with others then I will
    remove the filter.

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)