Re: Novel paradigms?

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 03:58:32 EDT

    From: MikeBGene@aol.com <MikeBGene@aol.com>

    >Let's run the numbers. To set up a single modestly
    >sized lab, we will need to pay the salaries of the
    >PI and one post-doc. Let's make that $75000. We'll
    >need plenty of state-of-the-art equipment, so let's
    >add another $100,000. A small lab has at least
    >two grad students. Let's say $40,000 for stipends
    >and another $40,000 for tuition. And let's add
    >$25, 000 for a lab assistant. Let's also throw in
    >another $10,000 for supplies and reagents. So,
    >to start up a lab, we'll need about $260,000. Let
    >it run for a meager three years, and we
    >have $520,000 (of course, I am ignoring the
    >capital budget, social security, health care, etc.)
    >Now, keep in mind, this is just one small lab.
    >To set up and run 10 such small labs (compare
    >to the thousands of labs that exclude ID, including
    >many mega-labs), the potfuls from the Discovery
    >Institute would have to fund 5.2 million every
    >three years. I didn't realize they were spending
    >millions on travel. Perhaps you can document this.

    This is all irrelevant, since (as far as I know) the Polanyi Center has not
    even proposed a laboratory research programme.

    And, in any case, who do you think should provide these funds? And do you
    think that similar funds should be provided for every group that wants to
    conduct research? I'm sure that astrologers, Atlantis proponents,
    flat-earthers, etc, would all be quick to come up with research programmes
    if that sort of money was offered! It would be grossly unfair to stifle
    *their* research, wouldn't it?

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/