Re: Novel paradigms?

From: Ami Chopine (amka@vcode.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 19:24:50 EDT

    Susan Brassfield,

     They've been forced to dump
    > the 6,000 year old earth and forced to accept "micro" evolution, but by
    and
    > large ID is nothing but Biblical literalism.

    Ami:
    You know, this is so narrow minded. What do we think Buddhists, Pagans, or
    Hindu's have to say
    about ID? It is very plausible within that framework too. It isn't just
    the Bible in disguise.

    And of course, those opposed to any implication that the Divine could have
    directed evolution pick out the least rational of the supporters as examples
    of what ID 'really is'.

    How silly, how little, how intolerant.

    Susan:
    Though, for propaganda
    > purposes we are very, very, very careful not to mention that "B" word.

    Ami:
    Of course, there are Christians, who in their spiritual lives apply ID to
    their study of the Bible. Of course,
    there are fundamentalists who can't imagine anything good coming out of
    anything not Christian, so they
    believe ID is Biblical Creationism (if they give up the 6000 yr old earth).

    Susan
     I've
    > been lurking in the ASA evolution list archives and I've noticed that
    there
    > are a lot of Christians there who are appalled at the dishonesty of ID
    > proponents.

    And of course, those opposed to any implication that the Divine could have
    directed evolution pick out the least rational of the supporters as examples
    of what ID 'really is'.

    How silly, how little, how intolerant of you to denounce any attempt of
    judeo-christian folks to examine the evidence in a different light than the
    established explanation.

    I agree with Steve Clark that conservatism is good in science, but I
    disagree with applying this to the events at Baylor. If there were results
    to research which were published and they disagreed with it, then would be
    the time for conservatism to shine through. But attacking a foundation set
    up to encourage research and exploration into ID or any "novel paradigm"
    will stifle abilities to make breakthroughs in science. We should be
    conservative as to what is accepted, but not what is explored.

    And perhaps the reason an idea which is over a hundred years old is
    surfacing again is simply because
    it offers explanation as to how where naturalism doesn't.

    Stop with the "ID = Christian fundamentalist conspiracy to undermine
    science" bit. It reeks of intolerance and paranoia. I'm sorry, but I'm
    just so tired of everyone acting so territorial and self righteous.

    Ami Chopine