Re: Novel paradigms?

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 13:02:22 EDT

    Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    >I thought we were talking about the attempted rescuscitation of a
    >paradigm discarded in the mid-1800's. I think that the hurdle
    >is appropriately placed even higher for such "paradigms".

    Thank you for pointing this out! There's a reason that ID is specifically
    mentioned in some anti-creationism court rulings. It's easy to fool people
    like Stephen Jones, but a lot tougher to fool a judge that ID is anything
    but creationism all dressed up in new clothes. They've been forced to dump
    the 6,000 year old earth and forced to accept "micro" evolution, but by and
    large ID is nothing but Biblical literalism. Though, for propaganda
    purposes we are very, very, very careful not to mention that "B" word. I've
    been lurking in the ASA evolution list archives and I've noticed that there
    are a lot of Christians there who are appalled at the dishonesty of ID
    proponents. Can't say I blame them!

    > . . . But one could also
    >reasonably tote it up to knowledge within the IDC ranks that a
    >pilot research project is not worth pursuing because they
    >already know it would be a waste of money better spent getting
    >to press conferences in Kansas and other anti-evolutionary
    >hotspots.

    back when the Paluxy thing was a big fav with creationists I often pointed
    out how cheap it would be to study the many dinosaur trackways to look for
    more human footprints. No such reasearch was going on because they *know*
    it's a waste of money. They *knew* all along the Paluxy footprints were a
    fraud. ID is pure propaganda. Baylor knows it and doesn't want any part of
    it.

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/