Re: Ruling out God intervening at strategic points in natural history? (was tests and predictions)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 17:37:34 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:09:44 -0700, billwald@juno.com wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>May I ask if Bill rules out God intervening at strategic
    >>points in natural history? For example, the origin of life, the origin
    >>of new designs, the origin of humans?

    BW>There is high probability that God intervenes in natural history but I
    >think he does it by powerful applications of the wonderful physical
    >relationships he has built into this universe - using powers and
    >techniques we don't understand. If this universe is a reflection of God's
    >perfection and his best shot at universe-creating <G> then to suspend or
    >countermand the physical constants and relationships is less than perfect
    >and thus sin. In other words, I don't believe God does magic tricks.

    First, "powerful applications of the wonderful physical relationships he has
    built into this universe" is not intervening. "Intervene" literally means
    "coming in between". An example in human history would be God's
    intervention in the supernatural call to Abraham, God's speaking to Moses
    through a burning bush, and above all the supernatural birth, miracles
    and resurrection of Jesus.

    Second, it is begging the question to say that God's intervention is
    necessarily to "suspend or countermand the physical constants and
    relationships". God could have *planned* to intervene further down the
    track when things were ready. For example, Rev 13:8 calls Jesus "the
    Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world". That is, God planned
    to intervene down the track in human history in the Incarnation of Jesus,
    from the very beginning. Indeed it is good engineering design to build in only
    what's necessary at the beginning and intervene later down the track to
    add more information/functionality. NASA does this with space probes. If
    NASA tried to build everything in at the beginning, so that further adjustments
    from the mission controllers were not necessary, the space probes would be
    vastly more complex than they needed to be and hence more wasteful of
    resources and likely to go wrong.

    Third, "magic tricks" are either false or occult miracles. God's miracles by
    definition are the real thing.

    So I ask Bill again, if he "rules out God intervening at strategic points in
    natural history? For example, the origin of life, the origin of new designs,
    the origin of humans?"

    SJ>"...By this, Popper means only that the history of
    >living organisms and their transformations on Earth are a specific sequence of
    >unique events, no different from, say, the history of England. Since it
    >is a unique sequence, no generalities can be constructed about it." (Lewontin
    >R.C., "Testing the Theory of Natural Selection," ..., Nature,
    >Vol. 236, March 24, 1972, p.181).

    BW>I agree 100%. Darwinism, as well as creationism, are metaphysical
    >systems.

    So what? The view that "Darwinism, as well as creationism, are
    metaphysical systems" is itself grounded in a metaphysical system. We can't
    avoid metaphysical systems. The question then is, is it a *true*
    metaphysical system?

    Since "Darwinism" is the dominant metaphysical system in State-funded
    schools and universities and "creationism" has been marginalised out of the
    same, does Bill claim that "Darwinism" is a true metaphysical system and
    "creationism" is a false metaphysical system?

    BW>As Jesus said, "Sometimes stuff just happens," Luke 13:4, billwald
    >paraphrase.

    For starters, Lk 13:4 does not say that "Sometimes stuff just happens". It
    says that: "Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on
    them--do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in
    Jerusalem?" The context indicates that Jesus was answering a question
    about the relationship between individual human sin and suffering. Jesus
    answered that there is not necessarily a direct causal link between an
    individual's sin and the evil he/she suffers.

    On the question of whether "Sometimes stuff just happens", Jesus actually
    said that nothing "just happens" but that everything, down to the very
    smallest and insignificant thing, is ultimately willed by God:

    "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny ? Yet not one of them will fall to
    the ground apart from the will of your Father." (Mt 10:29).

    "Neither, lastly, would our observer be driven out of his conclusion, or
    from his confidence in its truth, by being told that he knew nothing at all
    about the matter. He knows enough for his argument. He knows the utility
    of the end: he knows the subserviency and adaptation of the means to the
    end. These points being known, his ignorance of other points, his doubts
    concerning other points, affect not the certainty of his reasoning. The
    consciousness of knowing little, need not beget a distrust of that which he
    does know." (Paley W., "Natural Theology: or, Evidences of the Existence
    and Attributes of the Deity, Collected from the Appearances of Nature,"
    [1802], St. Thomas Press: Houston TX, 1972, reprint, pp.5-6)