Re: When peer review is really peer pressure

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 14:55:12 EDT

    Steve Clark wrote:

    >Then science also was slow to embrace phrenology and cold fusion,
    >both of which turned out to be false.

    Just BTW, phrenology enjoyed a bit of a vogue, enriching quite a few
    authors and lecturers.

    >So, a conservative scientific enterprise works very well.

    It may not be working well in evolutionary theory, which seems at a
    dead end in regard to the origin of metazoan complexity, the Cambrian
    explosion, and of course the original abiogenesis.

    Different fields are conservative to different degrees. Physicists find
    a ready audience for outlandish speculations about micro- and
    macroscopic matter, while in the richer realm of biology evolutionists
    are very cautious. The supposed big insight of our times--PE--is a joke.

    "The chemical or physical inventor is always a Prometheus. There is
    no great invention, from fire to flying, which has not been hailed as an
    insult to some god. But if every physical and chemical invention is a
    blasphemy, every biological invention is a perversion. There is hardly
    one which, on first being brought to the notice of an observer from any
    nation which had not previously heard of their existence, would not
    appear to him as indecent and unnatural.
    "...
    "The biological invention then tends to begin as a perversion and end
    as a ritual supported by unquestioned beliefs and prejudices."
    (J.B.S.Haldane, Daedalus, 1923)

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@cab.com