Re: When peer review is really peer pressure

From: Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 12:15:26 EDT

    At 01:17 AM 04/19/2000 -0400, MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:
    >Steve:
    >
    > >So, how do you reconcile these two paragraphs? On one hand you complain
    > >about scientists using the "broad-brush" approach to paint ID into a
    > >creationist corner. Then you return the favor and use the broad-brush to
    > >tarnish the whole scientific community.
    >
    >Good point. Since I am easily worked up by attempts to stifle academic
    >freedom,
    >I over-reacted with excessive rhetoric. My apologies.
    >
    >Mike

    Mike

    What you have described in you last few posts on this topic is behavior
    that is intrinsic to science.

    We all should keep in mind that science is a very conservative enterprise
    and you are seeing this in action at Baylor. While such conservatism runs
    the risk of rejecting novel truths, it also strongly protects against
    falsehoods being accepted as truth. The alternative to this conservative
    behavior of the scientific collective is to lower the barrier of what is
    accepted to be true, which would increase the risk of sanctioning ideas
    that are false.

    The conservatism of science, which you dislike so much, is not evidence of
    some conspiracy against religion, but it is evidence of a collective
    reluctance to readily embrace new ideas. This reluctance has been applied,
    not only to religious matters that overlap with the natural world, but
    also to new naturalistic ideas as well. In other words, science has been
    very consistent in its reluctance to embrace novel ideas. This behavior
    has long been a defining characteristic of science, as Thomas Kuhn pointed
    out several years ago.

    Some examples of how science initially failed to embrace novel ideas that
    later turned out to be true include Barbara McClintock and mobile genetic
    elements, and Howard Temin and reverse transcriptase (both of whom went on
    to win Nobel prizes for their work that was scorned at first). Then
    science also was slow to embrace phrenology and cold fusion, both of which
    turned out to be false. Thus, novel ideas that are true seem to be
    accepted, albeit reluctantly, while novel ideas that are not true are
    eventually discarded. So, a conservative scientific enterprise works very
    well.

    I think that it is appropriate that novel paradigms have a
    higher-than-usual hurdle to cross before being accepted by the scientific
    collective.

    Steve
    Steven S. Clark, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor of Human Oncology and
    Member, UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
    University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
    600 Highland Ave, K4/432
    Madison, WI 53792

    Office: (608) 263-9137
    FAX: (608) 263-4226