Re: Gene duplication and design

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 18:50:23 EDT

    Part III:

    Tedd:

    > >It's all about evidence, not philosophy.

    Me:

    > That's similar to what I have been saying in trying to
    > clarify we are talking about history, not philosophy.
    > But I should also mention there is no clear cut distinction
    > between evidence and philosophy. Evidence is not something
    > we objectively perceive. That's data. Sensory data is then
    > interpreted to become something we call evidence. Yet what
    > helps us interpret that data as evidence if not philosophy?

    Tedd:

    >This description is not helpful because it assumes that
    >people are incapable of enumerating the "evidential" possibilities
    >that any given bit of data gives. If science allowed people
    >to eliminate possibilities for no other reason than personal
    >philosophy, surely it would have catastrophically failed
    >hundreds of years ago. Forget bronze, we'd be to living
    >in caves.

    I don't discount that people are capable of enumerating the
    evidential possibilities that any given bit of data bit gives.
    Yet the fact remains that they still choose to interpret said data
    in light of one belief rather than another. I'm sorry, but I
    think it is hopelessly na•ve to really believe that human beings
    pick large-scale beliefs solely on the basis of "evidence." We could focus
    on science, which is supposed to represent the ideal of objectivity,
    to highlight countless examples that support my point.

    As for the notion that subjectivity and reliance of a priori belief
    would have forced science to fail a long time ago, I don't agree.
    Science has been a success largely because science has asked
    little questions about regularities and observables. It has also
    succeeded because physical reality is rational and can thus
    be probed with mathematics. But most of science is not
    concerned with the questions we debate here. For once we
    move into the realm of the unobservable, highly contingent
    ancient past, the things that helped science succeed have
    been largely stripped away. Now we are in a realm where
    the common human tendency to see what we want to see
    is free to roam about. And what is of even greater concern
    is that because science has come close to a decent level of
    objectivity when dealing with regularities and observables,
    people tend to think this objectivity automatically transfers
    when the subject of inquiry escapes these constraints. Here,
    what is worse than seeing what you want to see is thinking
    you see what is there without even suspecting you might
    be seeing what you want to see. And from where I sit,
    my concerns don't exactly receive much comfort from the
    dripping arrogance that often comes from those critical of
    ID (yet I am not talking about you).

    Me:

    > This person cannot consider a teleological explanation
    > for the origin of life because of his/her metaphysics. As a consequence,
    > the mere existence of life becomes evidence of abiogenesis.
    > But if one doesn't share the same metaphysical commitment,
    > one is not obligated to interpret the mere existence of life as
    > evidence of abiogenesis.

    Tedd:

    >I doubt such a person exists.

    Yet below, for some reason, you think the mere existence of
    life is evidence of all those imaginary microorganisms concocted
    in order the bridge bacteria to geochemistry have left no
    trace.

    >What do you imagine forms the
    >basis for "metaphysical commitment"? This sounds to me as like
    >the religious idea that people would actually "choose" hell.
    >Both descriptions seem to be most consistent with some mysterious
    >process going on inside a human being that is influenced neither
    >by perception or genetics but just does the wrong thing for no
    >darn reason at all. How does that work?

    The basis for the metaphysical commitment to exclude teleology
    are many. They would involve, at the very least, history, philosophy
    psychology. But this thread has gotten too long to go into all this.

    Me:

    > Perhaps. But I am not looking for a truly major evolutionary
    > innovation in order to vindicate RM&NS. I am just trying
    > to determine why so many believe RM&NS were the
    > mechanisms behind major evolutionary innovations. You
    > would think that people who reject ID because of a lack
    > of evidence would have evidence to support what they
    > accept.

    >Again, refer back to my Grand Canyon example.

    Yet I find it unconvincing. Do you have any reason to think
    a uniformitarian geological extrapolation really applies to all
    of biology? As I see it, your example is little more than simple
    faith. Here are some more reasons (off the topic of my head)
    why I find such an extrapolation unconvincing.

    1. I am simply interested in a few evidential fingerprints that more
    clearly indicate random mutations and natural selection as the
    cause behind some ancient features rather than guided mutations
    or intelligent selection (the latter being teleological alternatives).
    Since I have no reason to suspect ID behind geologic formations,
    Grand Canyons and the nucleus are apples and oranges. And
    since the strength of the extrapolation is dependent on a metaphysics
    that excludes teleology, one who doesn't adopt such metaphysics
    will find the extrapolation quite weak.

    2. There are too many reasons to distrust this extrapolation.

    a. First, we are not extrapolating from a situation where most biological
    features are known to be the products of natural selection and random
    mutation to a belief where all are the products of such mechanisms.
    The generalization instead is from a microscopic handful to all.

    b. Secondly, we are not generalizing and extrapolating known core
    changes to hypothetical peripheral changes. On the contrary, we
    extrapolate peripheral changes to core changes.

    c. Thirdly, extrapolations make sense when dealing with physical
    laws, but natural history is not a physical law. Natural history
    constitutes a set of contingent events. More importantly, is that
    such events are completely vulnerable to intelligent intervention
    (as agents with even our modest levels of intelligence have shown).

    d. It's a weak form of extrapolation. A better case of extrapolation
    would be as follows: since it is believed that all biological features are
    the result of RM&NS, we would randomly choose twelve biological
    features and determine if there was evidence such features owed
    their origin to random mutation and natural selection. If such
    evidence was found, the extrapolation to more than the twelve
    would seem justified (as long as all twelve sample varying
    forms of complexity and specificity). But the problem is that
    we have no evidence to support such a rigorous extrapolation.

    >I'm pretty sure we ID-rejecters all see it the same way:
    >1) RM&NS can add a
    >little information over a little amount of time, therefore it
    >can add a lot of information over a lot of time in the absence
    >of any known information "barriers". Life looks like the result
    >of molecular tinkering with existing structures over eons with
    >no innovation at any given moment. 2) there's no evidence for
    >an ID, and no ID we can easily imagine would design life the way
    >it looks.

    Understood. Now here's how I see it. If it is true that life was
    designed, there is no good reason for thinking we should be
    able to find independent evidence for an ID, thus this lack
    of evidence is meaningless. And I can indeed easily imagine
    an ID would design life the way it looks, keeping in mind that
    a history of evolution has probably been layered on top of
    the design. That is, life looks like the result of molecular
    tinkering with existing structures that owe their origin to
    ID. As for RM&NS, there is no evidence that they were
    indeed the mechanisms behind the origin of these existing
    structures, but instead, alternative mechanisms remain a
    plausible explanation, including direct intelligent intervention
    or teleological evolution (i.e., something was designed such
    that certain evolutionary pathways were favored as a consequence
    of the setting up of initial states). As for "eons of time,"
    there is no evidence that it took eons to time to evolve many
    of the features that speak to design. For example, the eukaryotic
    cytoskeleton is an essential and defining feature of the eukaryotic
    cell plan yet the data does not indicate it gradually was strung
    together over eons of time. It has been modified and tinkered with
    over the years, but such modification is more akin to customizing
    a car than in designing/building a car. Finally, eons of time plus
    small scale time does not necessarily add up to large scale change.
    Small scale change can be circular not linear, where it revolves
    around a theme. After all, bacteria have been undergoing RM&NS
    for the greatest period of time, yet have not shown large scale change
    since their appearance. To counter, one could argue that bacteria
    gave rise to eukaryotes through RM&NS, but that begs the question
    in that there is no evidence that this mechanism was behind the origin
    of eukaryotes. Finally, there may indeed be "barriers" to such
    information acquisition in that 'choices' made in the past constrain
    what is chosen in the future. The fact that life can viewed in a
    hierarchical fashion suggests this. For example, once an organism
    becomes a mollusc, it's ability to acquire new information is limited
    to acquiring molluscan information. This is seen clearly from the
    extinction events after the Cambrian, where opening up countless
    niches did result in the evolution of new animal phyla. What's more,
    the are countless imaginary adaptations that seem to be beyond the reach
    of RM&NS. Why haven't dolphin-like creatures evolved gills?
    Why haven't antelope-like creatures evolved eyes on the back of their
    heads? Why have no spiders evolved wings?

    I simply am not convinced that evolution is an open-ended, completely
    plastic phenomena where time+RM+NS has the potential to form
    anything. Instead, I view evolution as a set of contingent events
    which are constrained by their history. A billion years of evolution
    will simply not transform a mouse into an arthropod. And since
    evolution is constrained by its historical initial states, some of
    those initial states could very well be due to ID.

    Tedd:

    > >Entities acting within this universe necessarily
    > >interact with matter and energy leaving precise and permanent
    > >signatures behind that can be read at some present or future
    > >point by human beings.

    Me:

    > Indeed. And these signatures are found in the design.

    Tedd:

    >And that's an ambiguous signature at best, a signature of
    >complexity that looks nothing like human design.

    From where I sit, this whole debate deals with an
    ambiguous reality. Remember that even Jerry Coyne
    writes, " In science's pecking order, evolutionary biology
    lurks somewhere near the bottom, far closer to phrenology
    than to physics." As for the signature, it is not merely
    complexity, it is specified complexity, such that Bruce
    Alberts suggests biologists should start consulting engineers
    to advance our understanding of biology.

    Me:

    > Yet how does one get from this signature to knowledge
    > of the designer's origins? What if the designers were a form
    > of ETI that went extinct about 2 billion years ago many
    > light years from earth? And are you suggesting that if SETI does
    > not detect a message in the next 1000 years, there is no ETI
    > in the universe?

    Tedd:

    >I'm actually less concerned with the designer's origin as I
    >am the designer's existence.

    That's fine, but you originally raised their origin.

    >I interpret you to be saying
    >that there's no reason to expect any evidence for an intelligent
    >designer. On the contrary, I would argue, there many reasons
    > to expect evidence for an intelligent designer. Humans leave
    >evidence, therefore something acting like a human would leave
    >evidence as well.

    Yet humans are endogenous to this planet and I don't think any
    IDer is proposing that the designers were a 4 billion-year-old
    civilization endogenous to this planet.

    Tedd:

    > >The only entities that leave no trace
    > >in this universe are those that are not part of it, i.e. they're
    > >supernatural, or, simply, they're nonexistant.

    Me:

    > Be careful. All those imaginary microorganisms concocted
    > in order the bridge bacteria to geochemistry have left no
    > trace. Thus, they are either supernatural or never existed.

    Tedd:

    >No, the evidence is the existence of life itself.

    Like I explained above, the existence of life is only
    evidence for such imaginary creatures that have left
    no trace IF we assume the non-teleological metaphysics
    are truth.

    >That conclusion
    >is preferred over ID because there is no independent evidence
    >of an ID, life does not look like the product of an ID like
    >human beings, life does look like the product of RM&NS; RM&NS
    >can add a little bit of information to a duplicating entity over
    >a little bit of time and nothing is known to prevent RM&NS from
    >acting in this fashion all the time, therefore RM&NS acting over
    >eons can add probably add large amounts of information to
    >duplicating entities.

    That conclusion may be preferred by you and many others
    for these reasons, but I don't find it convincing (as explained
    above).

    >[Thanks for a thought-provoking article, BTW.]

    Ditto. But let me make it clear that I am not trying to
    argue that "I am right, you are wrong, thus you must
    agree with me." I am simply expressing my views and
    explaining why I am not convinced by the positions
    that represent the status quo. Of course, I could very
    well be deluded, as this often comes with the territory
    when acting as a maverick. But there is one thing I
    can say. If I abandoned the teleological perspective
    and joined the status quo, I would not have written
    any thought-provoking article. ;)

    So perhaps we can agree that at the very least, ID has the ability to make
    things interesting. Yet unfortunately, many ID critics
    (but not you it would seem) would rather have a world
    full of conformity than an interesting world.

    Mike