Re: the role of sex in evolution

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 13:01:15 EDT

    "Stephen E. Jones" writes
      in message <200004062207.GAA19256@popserver-02.iinet.net.au>:

     <snip>
    > Of course, since Maynard Smith is a very clever person and has all the vast
    > resources of modern science at his disposal, he does manage to suggest
    > some `just-so' stories which might explain why sex originated.

       So he doesn't believe its an insourmountable problem for evolution,
       either, eh? I guess he's using "problem" differently from the
       way you're using it.

       I think Stephen misrepresents the "problem" of sex and especially
       current research on the topic. Here's an excellent summary
       from http://coldfusion.discover.com/output.cfm?ID=67