Chance or choice

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 13:58:31 EST

    Scientists assemble the chemicals required for life and wait expectantly for
    something "emerge". So far nothing has. No one can even define what the
    missing ingredient for life might be. Perhaps we will never completely
    understand life, but we might achieve something better than our present
    understanding if we stop thinking of life as composed of bits of matter.
    Water is inanimate matter. It always runs down hill. If it were alive, some
    of it would be attempting to climb up hill, and occasionally succeeding.
    Inanimate matter just sits there. Life explores. A dead body is inert. A
    living organism exercises choice. A computer exercises the choices dictated
    by a "programmer". Life initiates it's own choices. Those choices might be
    somewhat predictable as following common behavior patterns, but the
    possibility of novelty and surprise always exists in life.

    When it comes to instincts and behaviors, things get murky. Biologists
    aren't quite sure when a behavior becomes a genetically inherited instinct
    rather than a habit acquired after birth. Sociobiologists assume everything,
    including rape, altruism and homosexuality are inherited, and spin fanciful
    tales describing how such traits arose by "random mutation and natural
    selection". Are instincts really "things" encoded in the genome? If not,
    how might they be passed on from generation to generation? One might give a
    Darwinian explanation of instinctive fear of snakes as follows: such a fear
    arose randomly, and those animals possessing the instinct survived, and those
    who didn't perished (presumably due to snake bite) -- or else as a result of
    not fearing snakes they didn't leave sufficient progeny. Such an
    explanation makes Darwinism sound silly, and the safest thing for a biologist
    to do is assume a lofty, stern expression, and declare, "That is a over
    simplification!". (Obviously too complicated for anyone but a Darwinist to
    understand.)

    To most of us it appears obvious that fear of snakes was never a "random
    mutation", but was the result of numerous individuals having bad experiences
    with snakes. Any human instinct can be overcome with free will. We can
    overcome our fear of snakes and we can suppress our maternal instincts. We
    choose whether to seek safety or risk danger in the interest of a loved one
    or moral principle. If men once felt an "instinctive" need to dominate
    women, that can and is gradually changing by individuals choosing to act
    otherwise. The change in men's attitude toward women could never be
    explained by all the dominating type men perishing or not leaving enough
    offspring. It is far more likely such changes in "instinctive" behavior are
    due to the accumulation of individual choices somehow becoming part of our
    genetic make up. If enough individuals "choose" to override an instinct, a
    new "instinct" would gradually emerge. Maybe choice and creativity are a
    characteristic of all life. (Rupert Shelldrake even suggests that all the
    laws of nature are entrenched "habits".)

    Common opinion often holds that animals have no choices. Can we insist free
    will is unique to us, Homo Sapiens, and declare choices of the rest of nature
    to be random? Animal "instincts" originated somewhere. Why couldn't an
    animal be suddenly overcome with a burst of creativity and try out a new
    nest-building material or a new vocalization? Why couldn't such innovations
    "catch on"? If we grant some small measure of creativity to animals, where
    do we draw the line? Only mammals? Only vertebrates? Do we deny the
    possibility of any degree of creativity to worms? Bacteria pursue, devour
    and flee from each other. Can we categorically deny all measure of
    creativity or choice to single-celled organisms forming symbiotic
    relationships? An unconscious organism exerts no conscious choices, but all
    the biological systems within that organism continue to exercise the choices
    necessary to maintain it. Is the genome alive? If the immune system
    exercises choice, why not the genome? Can we be certain that any event
    ascribed to chance might not also include choice as part of the equation - if
    it involves life?

    It is apparent to many of us that choice, creativity, "mind", free will,
    whatever you call it, can interact physically with the "read" world -- can
    exert an effect upon the physical realm of molecules and atoms. Biofeedback
    is an obvious example. We can declare meiosis, mitosis and fertilization to
    be random, but I suspect if we look closer we could find evidence of rational
    choices. As design proponents predicted, we are discovering that little, if
    anything, in life is composed of "junk". Darwinists might view life as an
    accidental, thrown-together assemblage, but when we look carefully, we
    usually find a purpose for each component of life.

    As we have come to understand the incredible complexity of the cell, people
    have compared the cell to a huge factory manufacturing complex products such
    as proteins. I fear we are still thinking of that factory as run by robots.
     A better analogy might be a factory run by live workers with their
    predictable tendency to not behave as robots. Maybe a ribosome occasionally
    comes up with a way to increase production. Voila! Mutation. It seems
    apparent to many of us that life is designed by intelligence, but that
    intelligence need not necessarily be some detached presence. Intelligence
    might be the quintessential property of life itself. And if someone wants
    to call that intelligence God, why should anyone object?

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan