Re: Gene duplication and design [ was Re: Dennett's bad word ...]

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 12:47:51 EST

    Why must RM&NS be opposed to design and purpose? I would assert that from
    any Christian perspective (whether or not you are young earth creationist
    or ID in the present sense of that concept) that you must believe that God
    designed his creation and created things puposefully. But this is not
    necessarily contrary to RM&NS. (See my rough-draft web essays at
    http://asa.calvin.edu/evolution/noontime.html and
    http://asa.calvin.edu/evolution/veritas.html ) I have no problem taking
    the design advocated by ID'ers to be design (even Dawkins does this, but
    labels it apparent design). But I also have no problem attributing that
    design to RM&NS, since they, as all natural processes, are divinely
    governed.

    The rub comes when ID'ers want to argue that some designs can't be
    explained by RM&NS (or some other "natural" process) and that it only comes
    about by some intelligent designer. The rub comes from the other side too
    when folks like Dennett, Dawkins, et al. suggest that RM&NS as an
    explanation imply no designer. They don't recognize that their commitment
    to the autonomy of nature is a philosophical/theological commitment just as
    much as my commitment to the radical dependence of nature upon a governing
    God is a philosophical/theological commitment. It seems to me that even
    ID'ers, at least in the rhetoric, share the naturalism of Dennett and
    Dawkins by being unwilling to consider that divinely guided "natural"
    processes can produce design by even their definition.

    By my consideration everything is divinely designed. ID'ers don't like this
    because it takes the apologetic sting out of their argument. In my opinion
    that exposes the motive for the whole enterprise.

    The teleological question is indeed the chief question, but I would suggest
    that the teleological question has nothing to do with science and
    everything to do with philosophy/theology. The question is what is the
    governing force behind the regularities that we observe in nature--science
    CANNOT answer that question. The Scientific Naturalist typically argues
    that nature is autonomous, i.e. that the governing forces are intrinsic to
    nature. The Theist argues that the governing force is external to nature,
    i.e. God as sustainer and governor of the created order. But this is
    obviously a meta-scientific idea--and the science underneath these two
    meta-scientific starting points can look very similar even though from a
    holistic, religio-philosophical perspective they are radically different
    ways of looking at the world.

    Theists have given away the store if they agree that scientific ("natural")
    explanations imply autonomous behavior of nature and the absence of a
    designer.

    This is why I consider the work of Mike Behe, Phillip Johnson, and company
    when they critique the science to be so useless, especially when they are
    simply propagandizing the evangelical community with popular level books.
    If there are genuine scientific merits to some of these issues then lets
    debate/discuss them int he scientific literature. No doubt there will be an
    uphill battle, but there's a reason for this, and it's not simply that the
    Scientific Naturalists are in control as Phillip Johnson would have us
    believe. It is because the evolutionary picture accepted by nearly all life
    scientists is sufficiently successful as a scientific paradigm. Nothing
    that I've seen from Behe, Nelson, Wells even comes close to upsetting the
    paradigm. Even the most perplexing problems that they highlight are readily
    seen as being merely interesting problems in the present paradigm
    especially with the on-going "refinements" to the neo-Darwinian synthesis
    spurred on by evo-devo research, paleontology, and complex systems analysis.

    Thus my question for Mike is this, if we know the mechanisms for gene
    duplication (i.e. we know that it can occur, some of the reasons it occurs,
    what results--diverged sequences--when it does occur) and we see apparently
    duplicated genes (based on sequence comparisons), why isn't the obvious
    conclusion to draw that gene duplication has occurred? It seems to me that
    the only reason not to do this is because of some precommitment to the
    impossibility of evolution because of theological reasons, or because of
    some view that sees design as anti-thetical to RM&NS. By the way, gene
    duplication and it's necessary accompanying idea of exaptation
    (pre-adaptation) aren't really Darwinian ideas, but are part of the complex
    systems analysis side of the "new" synthesis. Indeed, in contrast to Behe's
    mousetrap example, the incipient irreducibly complex molecular machine, is
    formed sufficiently with existing parts (perhaps arising from other
    functioning machines) to have a function, however mediocre that function
    might be. But once, we're there NS and refinement can occur. Most of the
    functioning molecular machines that we observe today are the end result of
    much evolutionary refinement. Especially with gene duplication working,,
    they can fine tune to virtually a specific function. No wonder they look
    designed for that particular function.

    TG
    Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
    grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/